Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection

Deuce

Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
error message I received the following message "This device cannot
start (code 10)."
The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
installed.
I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
and played DVDs without any problems.
Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
experience and had found any solution. Thanks.
Carlos

RE: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
Deuce,
Go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461 and recover your
lost drive.
Carlos

"Deuce" wrote:

> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
> Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
> time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
> no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
> designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
> management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
> expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
> not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
> troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
> instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
> in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
> that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
> and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
> that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
> error message I received the following message "This device cannot
> start (code 10)."
> The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
> shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
> installed.
> I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
> flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
> and played DVDs without any problems.
> Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
> experience and had found any solution. Thanks.

Mike

"Deuce" wrote:

> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
> Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
> time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
> no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
> designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
> management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
> expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
> not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
> troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
> instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
> in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
> that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
> and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
> that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
> error message I received the following message "This device cannot
> start (code 10)."
> The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
> shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
> installed.
> I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
> flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
> and played DVDs without any problems.
> Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
> experience and had found any solution. Thanks.

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:19:01 -0800, Carlos
<Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Deuce,
>Go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461 and recover your
>lost drive.
>Carlos

BTW, Deuce, I feel certain that ONLY those using iTunes/Quicktime for
Windows are having this problem. (the iPod DOES use iTunes).

NOTE, however, doing this will BREAK iTunes CD/DVD burning, and you
will begin receiving an error message each time you start iTunes,
unless you reinstall it. Of course, doing that will then keep Windows
from seeing the drive once more. Obviously, their CD/DVD burning
module is simply not entirely compatible with Vista, since this only
happens when I install iTunes/Quicktime.

Apparently, Apple has not yet realized this (you've heard of the Apple
Reality Distortion Field, haven't you? They truly believe they are
writing well-working Windows sofware with iTunes/Quicktime for
Windows.)

>"Deuce" wrote:
>
>> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
>> Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
>> time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
>> no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
>> designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
>> management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
>> expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
>> not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
>> troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
>> instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
>> in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
>> that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
>> and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
>> that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
>> error message I received the following message "This device cannot
>> start (code 10)."
>> The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
>> shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
>> installed.
>> I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
>> flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
>> and played DVDs without any problems.
>> Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
>> experience and had found any solution. Thanks.

Donald McDaniel
Deuce

Re: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
Thank you for the additional information Donald. If the fix does work
and when I get up the guts to mess with the registry, I suppose I can
live with error messages when running iTunes since I don't use their
CD/DVD burning functions. At least now I have a better idea of who to
blame!

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:49:07 -0800, Donald L McDaniel
<orthocross@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:19:01 -0800, Carlos
><Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Deuce,
>>Go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461 and recover your
>>lost drive.
>>Carlos

>BTW, Deuce, I feel certain that ONLY those using iTunes/Quicktime for
>Windows are having this problem. (the iPod DOES use iTunes).
>
>NOTE, however, doing this will BREAK iTunes CD/DVD burning, and you
>will begin receiving an error message each time you start iTunes,
>unless you reinstall it. Of course, doing that will then keep Windows
>from seeing the drive once more. Obviously, their CD/DVD burning
>module is simply not entirely compatible with Vista, since this only
>happens when I install iTunes/Quicktime.
>
>Apparently, Apple has not yet realized this (you've heard of the Apple
>Reality Distortion Field, haven't you? They truly believe they are
>writing well-working Windows sofware with iTunes/Quicktime for
>Windows.)
>

>>"Deuce" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
>>> Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
>>> time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
>>> no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
>>> designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
>>> management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
>>> expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
>>> not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
>>> troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
>>> instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
>>> in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
>>> that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
>>> and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
>>> that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
>>> error message I received the following message "This device cannot
>>> start (code 10)."
>>> The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
>>> shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
>>> installed.
>>> I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
>>> flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
>>> and played DVDs without any problems.
>>> Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
>>> experience and had found any solution. Thanks.
>>>

>Donald McDaniel

Deuce

THANK YOU! Re: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection

Thank you very much for the reply posts. This fix worked for me and
I'm grateful.
Bob

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:56:01 -0800, Mike
<Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Deuce" wrote:
>
>> I have a 6 month old HP Pavilion dv2310 notebook running Vista Home
>> Premium. My problem started when I hooked up my iPod for the first
>> time. After syncing with iTunes I noticed that my CD/DVD drive would
>> no longer work. Sure enough, the iPod had taken the E: drive
>> designation which had been used by my CD/DVD. So, I used disc
>> management to assign another drive letter to the iPod and rebooted
>> expecting drive letter E to be reassigned to my CD/DVD drive. It was
>> not. So I went to the HP website for support and found an article on
>> troubleshooting drive detection problems. I followed their
>> instructions to check that the drive is listed under DVD/CD-Rom drives
>> in Device Manager. It was listed there and when I checked it showed
>> that the driver was up to date. I followed the instructions to delete
>> and then reinstall the driver. I did that and got an error message
>> that the driver was not successfully installed. When I clicked on the
>> error message I received the following message "This device cannot
>> start (code 10)."
>> The CD/DVD drive still shows in Device Manager and the driver still
>> shows as current even though I was told it was not successfully
>> installed.
>> I don't believe the CD/DVD drive is bad as it's indicator light
>> flashes and I can feel it spinning when I insert a CD. It has burned
>> and played DVDs without any problems.
>> Before I pursue this with HP, I wanted to check if anyone had similar
>> experience and had found any solution. Thanks.

aimersoft@gmail.com

Re: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
I prefer to Aimersoft DVD to iPod Converter,you can download it for
free from:
http://www.aimersoft.com/dvd-to-ipod-converter.html

Here is a guide will tell you how to convert it
http://www.aimersoft.com/ipod-converter-suite.html
maysefooters

Re: Help! No DVD drive detected after iPod connection
Here is a step by step guide about converting DVD, Videos, Flash and
Youtube videos to iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod video. It
works well.
http://www.dvdtoipodtouch.biz/dvdtoi...p4-on-win.html