Blue tooth drops out

Steve

Blue tooth drops out
I have a ASUS blue tooth plugged into a usb port and have the sound defaulted
to it but after a short time it just drops out. It's perfectly fine sound
wise and I think its realy working well then it just drops out in less than a
min somtimes. If I start up outlook or somthing it will drop out straight
away. Any help most apreciated.
PS: I have downloaded latest mother board, video, and asus drivers but still
no good.
I am using 4 Gig of ram have a 3 gig dual pro CPU and VISTA Business Version.
XP pro, it all works well out of the box same Bluetooth and headphones.
Do I have to dump Vista and do a backflip?
Steve from a land down under
Donald L McDaniel

Re: Blue tooth drops out
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:55:00 -0800, Steve
<Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a ASUS blue tooth plugged into a usb port and have the sound defaulted
>to it but after a short time it just drops out. It's perfectly fine sound
>wise and I think its realy working well then it just drops out in less than a
>min somtimes. If I start up outlook or somthing it will drop out straight
>away. Any help most apreciated.
>PS: I have downloaded latest mother board, video, and asus drivers but still
>no good.
>I am using 4 Gig of ram have a 3 gig dual pro CPU and VISTA Business Version.
>XP pro, it all works well out of the box same Bluetooth and headphones.
>Do I have to dump Vista and do a backflip?
>Steve from a land down under

Questions:
1) Does the Bluetooth device use the Microsoft bluetooth stack? or a
third-party bluetooth stack?
2) Have you installed the bluetooth software which came with the
device?
3) Is the bluetooth software included with the device recent (i.e.,
this year and Vista-compatible?) If not, go to the manufacturer's
website and download a newer driver, if there is one. If there isn't
a newer driver, you might as well forget about using that device under
Vista.

A few thoughts:
1) Try to avoid the Microsoft Bluetooth stack if possible. Microsoft
has a buggy Bluetooth stack. And there is no work-around. Just make
sure you buy Bluetooth devices which don't use the Microsoft stack, if
at all possible.
2) I've found that Logitech devices have the best control of Bluetooth
under Windows (any version), especially XP and Vista. The Widcomm
stack which was included with Logitech devices previous to Vista works
fantastically well on XP, and not at all under Vista.
3) Vista's networking is buggy, and you might experience your
bluetooth devices dropping during network operations more often than
not. I experience such interruptions in network operations even when
I navigate away from the current Browser page while iTunes is open and
playing a file, or when I open a new file under iTunes while my
browser is open.
4) Vista's native Bluetooth configurator loses contact with various
dongles, etc., quite often. Don't use it, if possible.
5) If your device includes configuration software, use it, rather than
the native Vista Bluetooth configurator.
6) Make sure you've got the latest driver from the manufacturer of
your device. If it is not a native Vista driver, get rid of that
device, and replace it with one which does have recent (this year)
drivers and software.
7) If your device does NOT use Vista's native Bluetooth stack, DISABLE
the Microsoft stack in Device Manager, or it will be guaranteed to
interfere with the stack your device does use.
8) Never use two different Bluetooth stacks. They will interfere with
each other.

Donald L McDaniel
Steve

Re: Blue tooth drops out
know more about the BlAnswers to questions:
1/ the device is using the ASUS Driver supplied and updated from the ASUS
web site that states VISTA 32 and 64 bit compatable. I asume its has its own
stack. How do I check that.?
2. Yes I have installed the software ASUS Bluetooth software version
5.1.0.3300 VIsta Driver Software.
3. Latest driver downloaded and used
4. how do I turn off the Microsoft stack as I feel there is conflict and
this could be the trouble as the Bluetooth dongle is a repitable and not
cheap device and has VISTA drivers.?
I guess I need to learn more about the bluetooth stack.Im a stubborn person
and hate harware beating me and so I will plod on untill Im sure its a
hopless case.
Thank you for your support and ideas its most apreciated
Steve - from a land down under

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> [...]

> playing a file, or when I open a new file under iTunes while my
> browser is open.
> 4) Vista's native Bluetooth configurator loses contact with various
> dongles, etc., quite often. Don't use it, if possible.
> 5) If your device includes configuration software, use it, rather than
> the native Vista Bluetooth configurator.
> 6) Make sure you've got the latest driver from the manufacturer of
> your device. If it is not a native Vista driver, get rid of that
> device, and replace it with one which does have recent (this year)
> drivers and software.
> 7) If your device does NOT use Vista's native Bluetooth stack, DISABLE
> the Microsoft stack in Device Manager, or it will be guaranteed to
> interfere with the stack your device does use.
> 8) Never use two different Bluetooth stacks. They will interfere with

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Blue tooth drops out
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:59:02 -0800, Steve
<Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>know more about the BlAnswers to questions:
>1/ the device is using the ASUS Driver supplied and updated from the ASUS
>web site that states VISTA 32 and 64 bit compatable. I asume its has its own
>stack. How do I check that.?

To find out if the Microsoft stack is installed,
a) Open Device Manager
b) Expand "Computer" (at top of list)
c) If MS stack is running, there will be one or more Microsoft entrys
(usually, two entries), such as "Microsoft Bluetooth something-or-
other.",. There will also be a (Microsoft) Bluetooth configurator in
Control Panel.

>2. Yes I have installed the software ASUS Bluetooth software version
>5.1.0.3300 VIsta Driver Software.

When you installed this software, did you get a message from the
installer to the effect "Do you want to use the Microsoft Bluetooth
Stack, or ours?" If so, which did you choose?
NOTE that the Asus BT installer, if it did ask this question during
installation, would not necessarily use the same exact words -- but
they would have been to the same effect.

>3. Latest driver downloaded and used

What date on this driver? Is it 32Bit or 64bit or combined 32/64?
If your CPU/OS is 32bit, you want strictly 32bit

>4. how do I turn off the Microsoft stack as I feel there is conflict and
>this could be the trouble as the Bluetooth dongle is a repitable and not
>cheap device and has VISTA drivers.?

Best way to turn off the Microsoft stack is to simply disable it in
Device Manager. If doing this disables ALL Bluetooth, ASUS is using
the Microsoft Stack, in which case you will have to re-enable it. You
may have to re-install your ASUS software, also. Not sure. I used the
Widcomm stack which came with my Logitech device under XP. Under
Vista, the Widcomm stack is incompatible, so one MUST use the
Microsoft Stack.

PErsonally, I would use the dongle which came with your ASUS product,
rather than a third-party dongle. ASUS software was written expressly
for its provided dongle.

Also, make sure your dongle is in a USB2.0 port.

>I guess I need to learn more about the bluetooth stack.Im a stubborn person
>and hate harware beating me and so I will plod on untill Im sure its a
>hopless case.
>Thank you for your support and ideas its most apreciated
>Steve - from a land down under.

How do you stay on the Earth, standing up-side-down like you do?
(Joke -- He He He).
How's Spring coming along? Winter is starting here.

Anyway, I love Logitech devices. Never had any problems with them,
even when others were.

Stay away from Microsoft Bluetooth Dongles, and Microsoft Bluetooth
hardware. PERIOD. Crappy stuff. (BTW, I'm a long-time Microsoft
evangelist and supporter. For me to "Poo-Poo" a Microsoft product
says a lot, I think. Some years ago (about 3), I purchased a Microsoft
Desktop Set, which had a faulty dongle (I'm fairly certain it was)
which NEVER worked.

So I put it on the shelf, unused, until I got tired of seeing it, and
called Microsoft Support about getting it replaced. Well, it took a
few calls, a shouting match with a Microsoft Support engineer, and a
lot of time, but they finally came through, let me know that they no
longer made that particular set, and replaced it with the newest equal
product set (The Microsoft Wireless Laser 6000 Desktop Version 2.0).

All-in-all, it took about 5 months for it to arrive, but it got here.

Sorry, I got off-track there.

Anyway, don't hesitate to let me know if I've helped you.
I'm more than willing to help you work this out.
Send me email at orthocross@gmail.com, and I will send you an email
address through which we can communicate as often as necessary.

Donald McDaniel