Main memory (RAM) usage

Val

Main memory (RAM) usage
Hi! I have a question. My computer has 4 GB of main memory (4 sticks of 1 GB
each) . However, Windows Vista recognizes only about 3.3 GB (3327 MB, to be
more exact). Or, at least, that is what I read when I go to -Control
Panel-System-View RAM and Processor speed. So, about 700 MB is missing.
What's going on? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Val
Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
Check out the MS Knowledge base. In 32 bit systems some of the 4 gig
is used by cards such as video, etc. You don't get a full 4 gig
available - it's used.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:01:01 -0800, Val
<Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi! I have a question. My computer has 4 GB of main memory (4 sticks of 1 GB
>each) . However, Windows Vista recognizes only about 3.3 GB (3327 MB, to be
>more exact). Or, at least, that is what I read when I go to -Control
>Panel-System-View RAM and Processor speed. So, about 700 MB is missing.
>What's going on? Any help would be very much appreciated.
>Thanks!

Rick Rogers

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
Hi,

Some of the 4GB of available memory addresses ina 32-bit operating system
are reserved by the system for its hardware. The remaining addresses, 3.3GB
in your case, are allocated to system memory. This is a fairly well
documented limitation of a 32-bit OS.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I have a question. My computer has 4 GB of main memory (4 sticks of 1
> GB
> each) . However, Windows Vista recognizes only about 3.3 GB (3327 MB, to
> be
> more exact). Or, at least, that is what I read when I go to -Control
> Panel-System-View RAM and Processor speed. So, about 700 MB is missing.
> What's going on? Any help would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks!
> --
> Val

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
It isn't missing. It is being used by the system.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I have a question. My computer has 4 GB of main memory (4 sticks of 1
> GB
> each) . However, Windows Vista recognizes only about 3.3 GB (3327 MB, to
> be
> more exact). Or, at least, that is what I read when I go to -Control
> Panel-System-View RAM and Processor speed. So, about 700 MB is missing.
> What's going on? Any help would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks!
> --
> Val

jorgen

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
> It isn't missing. It is being used by the system.

I don't think it is. Either it is hidden behind memory mapped io, or
remapped above 4G, where 32-bit vista and xp cannot go
jorgen

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
Rick Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of the 4GB of available memory addresses ina 32-bit operating
> system are reserved by the system for its hardware. The remaining
> addresses, 3.3GB in your case, are allocated to system memory. This is a
> fairly well documented limitation of a 32-bit OS.

this limitation was introduced in SP2. Before it was 4GB+MMIO (with PAE
enabled)
Dustin Harper

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
The 32 bit operating system (Windows, as well as others) are limited to
4 GB of total addressed memory. This includes I/O devices, RAM, video
RAM, etc. While you may have 4 GB of RAM, your video card, and other
devices use this mapped total, so the OS only "see's" 3.3 GB of RAM
available.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Val wrote:
> Hi! I have a question. My computer has 4 GB of main memory (4 sticks of 1 GB
> each) . However, Windows Vista recognizes only about 3.3 GB (3327 MB, to be
> more exact). Or, at least, that is what I read when I go to -Control
> Panel-System-View RAM and Processor speed. So, about 700 MB is missing.
> What's going on? Any help would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks!

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage

On 18-Nov-2007, Dustin Harper <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote:

> The 32 bit operating system (Windows, as well as others) are limited to
> 4 GB of total addressed memory. This includes I/O devices, RAM, video
> RAM, etc. While you may have 4 GB of RAM, your video card, and other
> devices use this mapped total, so the OS only "see's" 3.3 GB of RAM
> available.

I've got the same problem with 64bit Vista Ultimate, Asus P5VD2-X
motherboard, 4GB Crucial DDR2. So it's not just a 32bit problem,
I've all the MS updates, including the optional ones, and
KB929777, as of yesterdays updates.
How do I fix it?
Rick Rogers

Re: Main memory (RAM) usage
Hi,

It may also be a limitation of the motherboard. If it cannot handle more
than 4GB of address space, it will not report more than that. You can try
enabline the option in the BIOS to map around the memory hole to see if that
helps.

--

<ato_zee@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 18-Nov-2007, Dustin Harper <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote:
>
>> The 32 bit operating system (Windows, as well as others) are limited to
>> 4 GB of total addressed memory. This includes I/O devices, RAM, video
>> RAM, etc. While you may have 4 GB of RAM, your video card, and other
>> devices use this mapped total, so the OS only "see's" 3.3 GB of RAM
>> available.

> I've got the same problem with 64bit Vista Ultimate, Asus P5VD2-X
> motherboard, 4GB Crucial DDR2. So it's not just a 32bit problem,
> I've all the MS updates, including the optional ones, and
> KB929777, as of yesterdays updates.
> How do I fix it?

Val

RE: Main memory (RAM) usage
Now, hold on a second here. When I had only 2GB of RAM installed (2 sticks of
1 GB each) Windows told me that I had 2 GB installed (2047 MB, according to
the Control Panel). Add another 2 sticks of the same size, and instead of
having 4GB (or about 4094, if my arithmetic is correct) you get 3327 MB!
Am I missing something?
--
Val