driver install, file not found

Nicolai

driver install, file not found
uninstalled nvidia drivers, shut down, installed my asus new graphics card
and booted up.

seemed to work fine until i tried to go online for some drivers.

no connection (LAN) messed around some and then proceeded to uninstall and
reinstall the network card.

When trying to install device drivers for the "new" NIC, windows reports
that "the system cannot find the file specified"

I downloaded drivers for this network card (from other computer obviously)
but windows reports the same every time.

I then install a new, other brand, network card in the computer but windows
reports the same error. I even tried with yet another NIC and got same error
again.

I tried installing the old graphics card, but still windows will not install
the NIC.

No other devices are having problems.

It seems to me some underlying layer in windows must have been damaged,
since the different NICs have same problem and it persists when i fall back
to the old graphics card.

Is this weird or what? or maybe some problem with the published vista.

brgds Nicolai
Rick Rogers

Re: driver install, file not found
Hi,

Have you tried changing slots? It may be conflicting with the video card.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Nicolai" <Nicolai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> uninstalled nvidia drivers, shut down, installed my asus new graphics card
> and booted up.
>
> seemed to work fine until i tried to go online for some drivers.
>
> no connection (LAN) messed around some and then proceeded to uninstall
> and
> reinstall the network card.
>
> When trying to install device drivers for the "new" NIC, windows reports
> that "the system cannot find the file specified"
>
> I downloaded drivers for this network card (from other computer obviously)
> but windows reports the same every time.
>
> I then install a new, other brand, network card in the computer but
> windows
> reports the same error. I even tried with yet another NIC and got same
> error
> again.
>
> I tried installing the old graphics card, but still windows will not
> install
> the NIC.
>
> No other devices are having problems.
>
> It seems to me some underlying layer in windows must have been damaged,
> since the different NICs have same problem and it persists when i fall
> back
> to the old graphics card.
>
> Is this weird or what? or maybe some problem with the published vista.
>
> brgds Nicolai

Nicolai

Re: driver install, file not found
the grapphics card only fits one slot.

the first nic i tried was build-in and the two other cards were in pci slot

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried changing slots? It may be conflicting with the video card.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Nicolai" <Nicolai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > uninstalled nvidia drivers, shut down, installed my asus new graphics card
> > and booted up.
> >
> > seemed to work fine until i tried to go online for some drivers.
> >
> > no connection (LAN) messed around some and then proceeded to uninstall
> > and
> > reinstall the network card.
> >
> > When trying to install device drivers for the "new" NIC, windows reports
> > that "the system cannot find the file specified"
> >
> > I downloaded drivers for this network card (from other computer obviously)
> > but windows reports the same every time.
> >
> > I then install a new, other brand, network card in the computer but
> > windows
> > reports the same error. I even tried with yet another NIC and got same
> > error
> > again.
> >
> > I tried installing the old graphics card, but still windows will not
> > install
> > the NIC.
> >
> > No other devices are having problems.
> >
> > It seems to me some underlying layer in windows must have been damaged,
> > since the different NICs have same problem and it persists when i fall
> > back
> > to the old graphics card.
> >
> > Is this weird or what? or maybe some problem with the published vista.
> >
> > brgds Nicolai

Rick Rogers

Re: driver install, file not found
Hi Nicolai,

I was referring to the nic, not the video card. Try a different PCI slot,
preferably not adjacent to the video card.

--

newsA4B0D87-29C0-4276-A91B-B3ACE78A3EEA@microsoft.com...
> the grapphics card only fits one slot.
>
> the first nic i tried was build-in and the two other cards were in pci
> slot
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried changing slots? It may be conflicting with the video card.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Nicolai" <Nicolai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > uninstalled nvidia drivers, shut down, installed my asus new graphics
>> > card
>> > and booted up.
>> >
>> > seemed to work fine until i tried to go online for some drivers.
>> >
>> > no connection (LAN) messed around some and then proceeded to uninstall
>> > and
>> > reinstall the network card.
>> >
>> > When trying to install device drivers for the "new" NIC, windows
>> > reports
>> > that "the system cannot find the file specified"
>> >
>> > I downloaded drivers for this network card (from other computer
>> > obviously)
>> > but windows reports the same every time.
>> >
>> > I then install a new, other brand, network card in the computer but
>> > windows
>> > reports the same error. I even tried with yet another NIC and got same
>> > error
>> > again.
>> >
>> > I tried installing the old graphics card, but still windows will not
>> > install
>> > the NIC.
>> >
>> > No other devices are having problems.
>> >
>> > It seems to me some underlying layer in windows must have been damaged,
>> > since the different NICs have same problem and it persists when i fall
>> > back
>> > to the old graphics card.
>> >
>> > Is this weird or what? or maybe some problem with the published vista.
>> >
>> > brgds Nicolai

Nicolai

Re: driver install, file not found
Hi sorry im not beeing clear.

I have now 2 pci nics plus the build-in installed.

any attempt to install drivers to any of them (including windows own drivers
which have been working fine for a long time) results in the mentioned error.

i have removed file block (file from another computer) and removed registry
entries related to driver files.

still same...siigh i guess falling back to win XP would be the way to go, so
many problems and annoying things in vista

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Nicolai,
>
> I was referring to the nic, not the video card. Try a different PCI slot,
> preferably not adjacent to the video card.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Nicolai" <Nicolai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA4B0D87-29C0-4276-A91B-B3ACE78A3EEA@microsoft.com...
> > the grapphics card only fits one slot.
> >
> > the first nic i tried was build-in and the two other cards were in pci
> > slot
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Have you tried changing slots? It may be conflicting with the video card.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: driver install, file not found
Hi,

Try disabling the onboard one if you are using addon cards.

--

> Hi sorry im not beeing clear.
>
> I have now 2 pci nics plus the build-in installed.
>
> any attempt to install drivers to any of them (including windows own
> drivers
> which have been working fine for a long time) results in the mentioned
> error.
>
> i have removed file block (file from another computer) and removed
> registry
> entries related to driver files.
>
> still same...siigh i guess falling back to win XP would be the way to go,
> so
> many problems and annoying things in vista
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Nicolai,
>>
>> I was referring to the nic, not the video card. Try a different PCI slot,
>> preferably not adjacent to the video card.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Nicolai" <Nicolai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsA4B0D87-29C0-4276-A91B-B3ACE78A3EEA@microsoft.com...
>> > the grapphics card only fits one slot.
>> >
>> > the first nic i tried was build-in and the two other cards were in pci
>> > slot

Nicolai

Re: driver install, file not found
I tried that, I think i tried every combination.

I just put in another disk and installed XP, everything runs fine, including
3 NICs.

I'm an IT pro, so all the obvious stuff should be covered.

I still lean towards the theory that some underlying layer in Vista screwed
up when that graphics card was introduced.

But how to fix it, i have no clue. I tryed running sfc /scannow which
creates a 30mb
logfile with info that is hard to interprete, if this is missing/corrupt
files, no wonder there would be problems.