free space

matt

free space
I just reinstalled my OS because best buy said that is what i need to do to
get my speakers working. Before i get off track, After installing vista i
firefox, and windows live messenger and i have only 17.7 gb left out of 83.3.
How is this possible before i reloaded a fresh copy of vista i had a bunch of
programs on here and 13gb of music and I was running fine with plenty of free
space. still. But now i have barely any space.
Any constructive help is welcome, please.
Thanks
Cal Bear '66

Re: free space
Did you do an upgrade re-installation of Vista over your old Vista installation?

If so, then you have a folder called windows.old which, after retrieving any
data you wish to salvage, can be deleted using Disk Cleanup.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"matt" <matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just reinstalled my OS because best buy said that is what i need to do to
> get my speakers working. Before i get off track, After installing vista i
> firefox, and windows live messenger and i have only 17.7 gb left out of 83.3.
> How is this possible before i reloaded a fresh copy of vista i had a bunch of
> programs on here and 13gb of music and I was running fine with plenty of free
> space. still. But now i have barely any space.
> Any constructive help is welcome, please.
> Thanks

matt

Re: free space
I am not familiar with using the disk cleanup...

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Did you do an upgrade re-installation of Vista over your old Vista installation?
>
> If so, then you have a folder called windows.old which, after retrieving any
> data you wish to salvage, can be deleted using Disk Cleanup.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "matt" <matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just reinstalled my OS because best buy said that is what i need to do to
> > get my speakers working. Before i get off track, After installing vista i
> > firefox, and windows live messenger and i have only 17.7 gb left out of 83.3.
> > How is this possible before i reloaded a fresh copy of vista i had a bunch of
> > programs on here and 13gb of music and I was running fine with plenty of free
> > space. still. But now i have barely any space.
> > Any constructive help is welcome, please.
> > Thanks

Cal Bear '66

Re: free space
In Computer, right click on your C: drive. There is a button called "Disk
Cleanup". Also available from Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System
Tools > Disk Cleanup.

I did not do an upgrade installation of Vista, but I think it is called
something like Old (Previous?) Windows Installation. Scroll through the list
and I am sure you will recognize it.

Be careful to not check the Hibernation File if you intend to use hibernation.
(Although, from the command prompt it can be re-enabled).