HP Quicklook vista sideshow

Steven Wabik

HP Quicklook vista sideshow
i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP tablet
pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get my
tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i could get
this feature.

from,
Steven Wabik

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
>> tc4400 does not <<

some details would help... what's not supported... can't get it, won't
install, won't run, handwriting not supported, etc, etc?

Your best bet on this is probably going to be hp since it is an hp
product and you are trying to get it going on a new hp after using it on
an older hp.

Historically, hp has tied software and hardware to specific machines to
prevent redistribution... if this is the case, not likely to have a
solution.

>> xposting <<

pick a forum... any forum... ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rick Rogers

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
alter in the installed software or operating system that will change that.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get
>my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i could
>get this feature.
>
> from,
> Steven Wabik

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my tc4400
to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or something to get
the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the installation i get an issue
saying that my pc does not support vista sideshow or that i do not have
vista installed....

> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
> alter in the installed software or operating system that will change that.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
>>get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
>>could get this feature.
>>
>> from,
>> Steven Wabik

Sven

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook appears
to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up some PIM
info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without bringing the
unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included feature of Vista
that will support additional, or external displays. Not a second monitor,
but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone. I haven't seen too
many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one announcement
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/

Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing CDs
or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer PIM
functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to get it
with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific hardware,
that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
> on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
> tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
> something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
> installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
> sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....

>> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can simply
>> alter in the installed software or operating system that will change
>> that.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>i am interested in getting my laptop pc to support HP quicklook.
>>>http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...quicklook.html
>>>well, the thing is my HP tablet pc the, tc4400 does not, while the HP
>>>tablet pc 2710p does. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to
>>>get my tablet pc to support HP quicklook. it would mean a lot to me if i
>>>could get this feature.
>>>
>>> from,
>>> Steven Wabik

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
quickplay was for playing DVDs without starting windows. but quickplay
changed so much that windows needs to be started before quickplay can be
accessed in most notebooks.

quicklook is apart of sideshow. it just uses the same display. it just lets
you view email contacts, notes, memoes, and stuff like that, without loading
windows. you can start quicklook while the notebook is off, in sleep,
hybernate, or in standbye.

i think i may be able to modify the bios and whatnot in my pc to support hp
quickstart because in the installation i got an error about vista sideshow.
i have had experienes in this stuff before. and if i mess up the bios, i can
always restore it to its original.

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista Sideshow and HP Quicklook are two different things. Quicklook
> appears to be a proprietary software/hardware add-on that lets you pull up
> some PIM info on the screen, likely from some flash RAM area, without
> bringing the unit out of hibernation or standby. Sideshow is an included
> feature of Vista that will support additional, or external displays. Not a
> second monitor, but rather more like the outside display on a cell phone.
> I haven't seen too many manufacturers supporting this yet. Here is one
> announcement
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/15/l...-out-in-korea/
>
> Sideshow really expects a secondary low power display. Quicklook seems to
> be a feature more like some of the current laptops that support playing
> CDs or DVDs without booting into the OS, though Quicklook seems to offer
> PIM functions rather than entertainment. I don't think you are going to
> get it with bios or software alone. Seems like it would require specific
> hardware, that if it was included, you would have the feature enabled.
>

> --
> Sven
> MS MVP Mobile Devices
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> on the 2710p HP quickplay comes up on the main screen. if i wanted my
>> tc4400 to support HP quicklook would i have to modify the bios or
>> something to get the pc to support vista sideshow, because in the
>> installation i get an issue saying that my pc does not support vista
>> sideshow or that i do not have vista installed....
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> You need the appropriate hardware from HP, there's nothing you can
>>> simply alter in the installed software or operating system that will
>>> change that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Mick Murphy

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
Contact HP!

You have been given answers.

Stop wasting peoples' time here

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
you know there is some use contacting people here when the manufacter can or
can not help you. some users at times have created their own arounds, maybe
someone found something for HP quicklook.....

and stop being so negitive. if something does not go the way i want, i
create my own fix if i can.

> Contact HP!
>
> You have been given answers.
>
> Stop wasting peoples' time here

Sven

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
He's not wasting anyone's time. If you are too busy, or disinterested, don't
read it. You are apparently not to busy to provide an irrelevant response.
I'm interested because I think sideshow is a neat concept. I still am not
convinced that Quicklook is a subset/instance/implementation of it. You
don't have to have a sideshow device to run the control panel app, so it
seems conceivable you might be able to get a sideshow error without a
sideshow capability.

I looked at both the tablets originally indicated and actually couldn't find
that either supported QuickLook. Could have missed it. I would still
maintain that if a device supported this unique option, it would be enabled.
It's a selling point, and wouldn't cost anything to turn on.

"quickplay was for playing DVDs without starting windows. but quickplay
changed so much that windows needs to be started before quickplay can be
accessed in most notebooks"

Not on my Vaio. I had an HP (as I recall) that was the biggest darn portable
CD player around, but it played CDs without ever firing up the hard drive.

--
Sven
MS MVP Mobile Devices
> Contact HP!
>
> You have been given answers.
>
> Stop wasting peoples' time here

Steven Wabik

Re: HP Quicklook vista sideshow
well, thanks for quoting me. i see you are one of the few people who have a
version of quickplay that startsup without loading windows first.

by the way, i said "in most notebooks". it really depends on the quickplay
applications you have. now quickplay includes stuff for the web, for tv,
for webcam and more so aditional stuff need to load that are in windows.

right now i have quickplay on my pc, it only has the dvd module installed
since the version of vista (business) i have does not support certian
additional software components. my pc also does not have a webcam.