SATA - trying to initialise causes error 571...

garid

SATA - trying to initialise causes error 571...
Hi,

I am trying to install a new 250 GB S-ATA HDD onto my PC. It's picking up on
BIOS and is showing when I go into Device and Computer manager. However, the
device does not show up on 'Computer'.

My problem is that initially the device thinks that it's unreadable, and
then when I ask it to rescan the disk, it comes back and says that it
doesn't know whether I've got a basic/dynamic drive, but that it the status
is not initialised.

Therefore, I try to initialise the disk by right clicking and I get a
critical error message once I press OK that directs me to the event viewer -
which tells me that I've had an unexpected failure : Error Code 571@0200001A
(which I've never seen before!).

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Virtual Disk Service" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49664">1</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>40239</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>**********</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>571@0200001A</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Does anybody know why this error is coming up and what I can do to get
around it so that I can initialise the disk at all?

(also is there any easy way to check to see if the drive is Basic or Dynamic
- as I believe Dynamic won't work on Vista Home Premium?).

NB - I have tried installing TWO S-ATA drives, each of different makes, and
each have had the same problem - so it looks like Vista's not happy about
something??

Thanks a mil for any help!!
Rick Rogers

Re: SATA - trying to initialise causes error 571...
Hi,

It won't show up in 'Computer' until the drive has at least one volume
created on it, that'd be normal. The initialization error may be caused by a
sata controller driver error, you might check with the system or motherboard
manufacturer for an updated one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"garid" <garid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a new 250 GB S-ATA HDD onto my PC. It's picking up
> on
> BIOS and is showing when I go into Device and Computer manager. However,
> the
> device does not show up on 'Computer'.
>
> My problem is that initially the device thinks that it's unreadable, and
> then when I ask it to rescan the disk, it comes back and says that it
> doesn't know whether I've got a basic/dynamic drive, but that it the
> status
> is not initialised.
>
> Therefore, I try to initialise the disk by right clicking and I get a
> critical error message once I press OK that directs me to the event
> viewer -
> which tells me that I've had an unexpected failure : Error Code
> 571@0200001A
> (which I've never seen before!).
>
> - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
> - <System>
> <Provider Name="Virtual Disk Service" />
> <EventID Qualifiers="49664">1</EventID>
> <Level>2</Level>
> <Task>0</Task>
> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-17T09:26:05.000Z" />
> <EventRecordID>40239</EventRecordID>
> <Channel>System</Channel>
> <Computer>**********</Computer>
> <Security />
> </System>
> - <EventData>
> <Data>571@0200001A</Data>
> </EventData>
> </Event>
>
> Does anybody know why this error is coming up and what I can do to get
> around it so that I can initialise the disk at all?
>
> (also is there any easy way to check to see if the drive is Basic or
> Dynamic
> - as I believe Dynamic won't work on Vista Home Premium?).
>
> NB - I have tried installing TWO S-ATA drives, each of different makes,
> and
> each have had the same problem - so it looks like Vista's not happy about
> something??
>
> Thanks a mil for any help!!

andy

Re: SATA - trying to initialise causes error 571...
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 02:11:01 -0800, garid
<garid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to install a new 250 GB S-ATA HDD onto my PC. It's picking up on
>BIOS and is showing when I go into Device and Computer manager. However, the
>device does not show up on 'Computer'.
>
>My problem is that initially the device thinks that it's unreadable, and
>then when I ask it to rescan the disk, it comes back and says that it
>doesn't know whether I've got a basic/dynamic drive, but that it the status
>is not initialised.
>
>Therefore, I try to initialise the disk by right clicking and I get a
>critical error message once I press OK that directs me to the event viewer -
>which tells me that I've had an unexpected failure : Error Code 571@0200001A
>(which I've never seen before!).
>
>- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
>- <System>
> <Provider Name="Virtual Disk Service" />
> <EventID Qualifiers="49664">1</EventID>
> <Level>2</Level>
> <Task>0</Task>
> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-17T09:26:05.000Z" />
> <EventRecordID>40239</EventRecordID>
> <Channel>System</Channel>
> <Computer>**********</Computer>
> <Security />
> </System>
>- <EventData>
> <Data>571@0200001A</Data>
> </EventData>
> </Event>
>
>Does anybody know why this error is coming up and what I can do to get
>around it so that I can initialise the disk at all?
>
>(also is there any easy way to check to see if the drive is Basic or Dynamic
>- as I believe Dynamic won't work on Vista Home Premium?).

Look at the drive in Disk Management.

>NB - I have tried installing TWO S-ATA drives, each of different makes, and
>each have had the same problem - so it looks like Vista's not happy about
>something??
>
>Thanks a mil for any help!!

Elliott

RE: SATA - trying to initialise causes error 571...
Have you looked in your Device Manager under Storage Controller to see if the
SATA controller is there?? If so, try updating your driver from your
motherboard manufacturer. If not, check your bios setting to make sure you
sata controller is on and is NOT set to RAID.