Troubleshoot device conflicts

Ok. So, I firstly I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an MDG Visionbook
model: MS-10342B. This comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (model
900 or 950 not sure which but apparently it uses the same driver). The driver
can be found on a third party site that I have. I'm not sure if we're allowed
to post 3rd-party sites on the forum, and also it doesn't really matter for
the issue I'm having.

So my machine is working ok, no significant problems in a few months (I
bought it in June). A few days back I'm running windows update and it offers
me a hardware update for my graphics card. So I figured why not, right?
wrong.. I update it and the next time my computer restarts my graphics card
reports:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
devices on this system."

There is no hint anywhere about which other devices are causing the
conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it suddenly
felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?

So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out. I
called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and removed
the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website. After
restarting it still gives a code 12.

There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which I
do).

Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.

Thank you!
--
A typical signature
SG

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Z,

Have you tried removing this hardware in the Safe Mode?
Remove it, then restart your system. It should find new hardware and point
it to the new drivers you downloaded.

All the best,
SG

"Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok. So, I firstly I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an MDG Visionbook
> model: MS-10342B. This comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
> (model
> 900 or 950 not sure which but apparently it uses the same driver). The
> driver
> can be found on a third party site that I have. I'm not sure if we're
> allowed
> to post 3rd-party sites on the forum, and also it doesn't really matter
> for
> the issue I'm having.
>
> So my machine is working ok, no significant problems in a few months (I
> bought it in June). A few days back I'm running windows update and it
> offers
> me a hardware update for my graphics card. So I figured why not, right?
> wrong.. I update it and the next time my computer restarts my graphics
> card
> reports:
>
> "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
>
> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> devices on this system."
>
> There is no hint anywhere about which other devices are causing the
> conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it
> suddenly
> felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
>
> So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out. I
> called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
> downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and
> removed
> the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website.
> After
> restarting it still gives a code 12.
>
> There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
> nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which I
> do).
>
> Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
> System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.
>
> Thank you!
> --
> A typical signature

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
No go... When I opened the device manager the Display adapter showed up
twice. I uninstalled both. One became a video controller. After that I
restarted the computer and installed the drivers from the website... I'm
still getting a code 12.

Any further ideas?
--
A typical signature

"SG" wrote:

> Z,
>
> Have you tried removing this hardware in the Safe Mode?
> Remove it, then restart your system. It should find new hardware and point
> it to the new drivers you downloaded.
>
> All the best,
> SG
>
> "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok. So, I firstly I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an MDG Visionbook
> > model: MS-10342B. This comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
> > (model
> > 900 or 950 not sure which but apparently it uses the same driver). The
> > driver
> > can be found on a third party site that I have. I'm not sure if we're
> > allowed
> > to post 3rd-party sites on the forum, and also it doesn't really matter
> > for
> > the issue I'm having.
> >
> > So my machine is working ok, no significant problems in a few months (I
> > bought it in June). A few days back I'm running windows update and it
> > offers
> > me a hardware update for my graphics card. So I figured why not, right?
> > wrong.. I update it and the next time my computer restarts my graphics
> > card
> > reports:
> >
> > "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
> >
> > If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> > devices on this system."
> >
> > There is no hint anywhere about which other devices are causing the
> > conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it
> > suddenly
> > felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
> >
> > So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out. I
> > called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
> > downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and
> > removed
> > the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website.
> > After
> > restarting it still gives a code 12.
> >
> > There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
> > nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which I
> > do).
> >
> > Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
> > System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.
> >
> > Thank you!
> > --
> > A typical signature

SG

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Hello again,

Try this utility and identify your chipset....
http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../cs-009266.htm
It's the first download not the second which is the processor utility.
Post back the results.
BTW, from what I read from Intel the 900 & 950 are not the same drivers or
at least they give different sites to download drivers.

For the 900.......
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma900/index.htm

For the 950......
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

> [...]
>> > felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
>> >
>> > So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed
>> > out. I
>> > called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers.
>> > downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and
>> > removed
>> > the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website.
>> > After
>> > restarting it still gives a code 12.
>> >
>> > There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
>> > nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft
>> > (which I
>> > do).
>> >
>> > Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you
>> > recommend
>> > System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.

David

RE: Troubleshoot device conflicts
I am having same issue, posted report in thread above, before i read this.
Good luck...!!

"Z" wrote:

> Ok. So, I firstly I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an MDG Visionbook
> model: MS-10342B. This comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (model
> 900 or 950 not sure which but apparently it uses the same driver). The driver
> can be found on a third party site that I have. I'm not sure if we're allowed
> to post 3rd-party sites on the forum, and also it doesn't really matter for
> the issue I'm having.
>
> So my machine is working ok, no significant problems in a few months (I
> bought it in June). A few days back I'm running windows update and it offers
> me a hardware update for my graphics card. So I figured why not, right?
> wrong.. I update it and the next time my computer restarts my graphics card
> reports:
>
> "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
>
> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> devices on this system."
>
> There is no hint anywhere about which other devices are causing the
> conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it suddenly
> felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
>
> So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out. I
> called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
> downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and removed
> the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website. After
> restarting it still gives a code 12.
>
> There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
> nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which I
> do).
>
> Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
> System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.
>
> Thank you!
> --
> A typical signature

RE: Troubleshoot device conflicts
I gave up and gave in. I found my vista install CD, nuked my current windows
installation and started fresh.. I've decided that since i mostly just watch
videos, listen to music and do homework on my laptop and save all the heavy
handling for my game machine (which has XP thanks god...), I won't be
updating the drivers for the laptop anymore.. At least not until it's proven
that vista is as stable as XP has proven to be since I first got it 6 months
after release.

Good luck to the rest of you who are having similar problems
--
A typical signature

"Z" wrote:

> Ok. So, I firstly I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an MDG Visionbook
> model: MS-10342B. This comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (model
> 900 or 950 not sure which but apparently it uses the same driver). The driver
> can be found on a third party site that I have. I'm not sure if we're allowed
> to post 3rd-party sites on the forum, and also it doesn't really matter for
> the issue I'm having.
>
> So my machine is working ok, no significant problems in a few months (I
> bought it in June). A few days back I'm running windows update and it offers
> me a hardware update for my graphics card. So I figured why not, right?
> wrong.. I update it and the next time my computer restarts my graphics card
> reports:
>
> "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
>
> If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
> devices on this system."
>
> There is no hint anywhere about which other devices are causing the
> conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it suddenly
> felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
>
> So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out. I
> called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
> downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and removed
> the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website. After
> restarting it still gives a code 12.
>
> There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
> nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which I
> do).
>
> Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
> System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.
>
> Thank you!
> --
> A typical signature

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Well, man in my experience even if they're selling the exact same hardware
relabeled they make different sites that 'specialize' in each one... Although
when I follow those two links they lead to 2 different chipset download
segments, so I suppose they are different after all. In any case I tried both
drivers available to me by the manufacturer. Neither worked.
--
A typical signature

"SG" wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Try this utility and identify your chipset....
> http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../cs-009266.htm
> It's the first download not the second which is the processor utility.
> Post back the results.
> BTW, from what I read from Intel the 900 & 950 are not the same drivers or
> at least they give different sites to download drivers.
>
> For the 900.......
> http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma900/index.htm
>
> For the 950......
> http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
>
> All the best,
> SG
>

> "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No go... When I opened the device manager the Display adapter showed up
> > twice. I uninstalled both. One became a video controller. After that I
> > restarted the computer and installed the drivers from the website... I'm
> > still getting a code 12.
> >
> > Any further ideas?
> > --
> > A typical signature
> >

> > "SG" wrote:
> >
> >> Z,
> >>
> >> Have you tried removing this hardware in the Safe Mode?
> >> Remove it, then restart your system. It should find new hardware and
> >> point
> >> it to the new drivers you downloaded.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> SG

SG

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Hi Z,

Well hate you had to resort to this, but sometimes it's a have to case or
jump off a bridge VBG

Anyway, may I suggest in the future to NEVER allow Windows update to
download any drivers for your hardware. In fact, if it isn't broken, don't
fix it. If you are having driver problems with anything then go to the
source, the manufacture.

> [...]
>> conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it
>> suddenly
>> felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
>>
>> So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out.
>> called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
>> downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and
>> removed
>> the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website.
>> After
>> restarting it still gives a code 12.
>>
>> There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
>> nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which
>> do).
>>
>> Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
>> System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.

Elliott

Re: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Let us know how your final solution works, see:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...1-3642721fd1c6

I did an upgrade using the original disk and still had the problem before
installing any upgrades except the installation upgrades. If you can isolate
the fix that causing this problem, let the world know.

"SG" wrote:

> [...]
> >> conflict. What I don't understand is why when running the update it
> >> suddenly
> >> felt that the resources it was allocated aren't enough?
> >>
> >> So anyways I try to roll back the drivers, but the button is greyed out.
> >> called MDG, and they gave me the address for where to get the drivers. I
> >> downloaded the Intel VGA driver from the website. I uninstalled and
> >> removed
> >> the driver for this device and then installed the one on the website.
> >> After
> >> restarting it still gives a code 12.
> >>
> >> There is no troubleshoot button and the "Check for solutions..." does
> >> nothing except ask if I want to send the information to Microsoft (which
> >> do).
> >>
> >> Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot further? Before you recommend
> >> System Restore, I'm afraid I don't have that active on this machine.

Elliott

RE: Troubleshoot device conflicts
Solution by LG

See: