Problem: A drive does not see floppy

oldman@old.net

Problem: A drive does not see floppy
When I insert a floppy disk in my a drive I get the following message:
No ID address mark found on floppy disk. The drive is not
accessible. (This was done with floppy I used to load the Gigabyte
drivers) Drive was setup as shared but still nothing. Does anyone
have any ideas what is wrong?

TIA
SG

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Hi,

A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading over
several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type in....
No ID address mark found on floppy disk

All the best,
SG

oldman@old.net

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
SG

Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
did not work.

The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
inside the unit.

Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.

TIA

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading over
>several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type in....
>No ID address mark found on floppy disk
>
>All the best,
>SG
>
><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>news:4o1sj3t8o3623fel52gj3a2df0nvm4g4tr@4ax.com.. .
>> When I insert a floppy disk in my a drive I get the following message:
>> No ID address mark found on floppy disk. The drive is not
>> accessible. (This was done with floppy I used to load the Gigabyte
>> drivers) Drive was setup as shared but still nothing. Does anyone
>> have any ideas what is wrong?
>>
>> TIA

Michael Walraven

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Could you have any third party anti virus, system protection etc software
installed that has 'disabled' the floppy?
If you are in a domain, group policy can disable the floppy.

Michael

> SG
>
> Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
> suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
> driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
> different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
> reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
> question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
> should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
> the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
> did not work.
>
> The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
> used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
> time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
> not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
> away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
> inside the unit.
>
> Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.
>
> TIA
>
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading
>>over
>>several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type
>>in....
>>No ID address mark found on floppy disk
>>
>>All the best,
>>SG
>>
>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>news:4o1sj3t8o3623fel52gj3a2df0nvm4g4tr@4ax.com. ..
>>> When I insert a floppy disk in my a drive I get the following message:
>>> No ID address mark found on floppy disk. The drive is not
>>> accessible. (This was done with floppy I used to load the Gigabyte
>>> drivers) Drive was setup as shared but still nothing. Does anyone
>>> have any ideas what is wrong?
>>>
>>> TIA

oldman@old.net

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Michael,

I am running PC-cillian Security package. I am running Home network
security at Minimum. The a drive is set to share and security is
anyone can access. I even added myself as a separate permission. But
still no luck.

I am not sure what you mean with in a domain. Please expand if
possible.

Thanks,

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:45:49 -0500, "Michael Walraven"
<mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:

>Could you have any third party anti virus, system protection etc software
>installed that has 'disabled' the floppy?
>If you are in a domain, group policy can disable the floppy.
>
>Michael
>

><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>news:ge3uj3pu8ivqdjd327st53i3p7reehgj8s@4ax.com.. .
>> SG
>>
>> Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
>> suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
>> driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
>> different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
>> reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
>> question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
>> should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
>> the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
>> did not work.
>>
>> The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
>> used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
>> time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
>> not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
>> away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
>> inside the unit.
>>
>> Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading
>>>over
>>>several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type
>>>in....
>>>No ID address mark found on floppy disk
>>>
>>>All the best,
>>>SG
>>>
>>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>>news:4o1sj3t8o3623fel52gj3a2df0nvm4g4tr@4ax.com ...

Michael Walraven

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
In a business environment your 'personnel' computer joins the domain of all
the computers controlled by the business. As part of this domain joining the
administrator of the domain (the business) has control of many aspects of
your computer. If your system is a stand alone home network computer without
being part of a large business that possibility doesn't apply.

The protection is to prevent anyone from copying data to USB thumb drives or
floppy drives and walking away with the data.

A quick look at PC-cillin site doesn't mention any protection from floppy
use.

If you cannot get the BIOS to boot from it, it sounds like hardware problems
in the drive. About the only way to check for sure is of course to swap in a
'known good' one.

Normally the floppy is NOT shared, you might unshare it to see if problem
goes away.

Sorry, I don't have any more ideas for you. When you do get your problem
cleared up be sure to get back so the next person with the problem can
benefit from your efforts.

Michael

> Michael,
>
> I am running PC-cillian Security package. I am running Home network
> security at Minimum. The a drive is set to share and security is
> anyone can access. I even added myself as a separate permission. But
> still no luck.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with in a domain. Please expand if
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:45:49 -0500, "Michael Walraven"
> <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>>Could you have any third party anti virus, system protection etc software
>>installed that has 'disabled' the floppy?
>>If you are in a domain, group policy can disable the floppy.
>>
>>Michael
>>

>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>news:ge3uj3pu8ivqdjd327st53i3p7reehgj8s@4ax.com. ..
>>> SG
>>>
>>> Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
>>> suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
>>> driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
>>> different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
>>> reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
>>> question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
>>> should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
>>> the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
>>> did not work.
>>>
>>> The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
>>> used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
>>> time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
>>> not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
>>> away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
>>> inside the unit.
>>>
>>> Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.
>>>
>>> TIA

SG

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Don't be fooled by new hardware my friend. I've been in business to long to
know that even right of the box has and can be defective. A floppy drive is
very cheap these days and worth the price to by one and try it. Here's one
for $4.88 http://www.gizmos2go.com/product.php...82&MMCF_Nextag

See if you have a friend that would let you borrow theirs and see if that is
indeed the problem. I'm betting it is.

All the best,
SG

<oldman@old.net> wrote in message
> SG
>
> Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
> suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
> driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
> different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
> reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
> question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
> should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
> the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
> did not work.
>
> The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
> used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
> time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
> not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
> away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
> inside the unit.
>
> Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.
>
> TIA
>
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading
>>over
>>several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type
>>in....
>>No ID address mark found on floppy disk
>>
>>All the best,
>>SG
>>
>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>news:4o1sj3t8o3623fel52gj3a2df0nvm4g4tr@4ax.com. ..
>>> When I insert a floppy disk in my a drive I get the following message:
>>> No ID address mark found on floppy disk. The drive is not
>>> accessible. (This was done with floppy I used to load the Gigabyte
>>> drivers) Drive was setup as shared but still nothing. Does anyone
>>> have any ideas what is wrong?
>>>
>>> TIA

oldman@old.net

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Ok the solution was to replace the A drive with a new one. Once
hooked and connected the problem went away. For about $12 delivered
it was money well spent.

oldman

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:33:34 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:

>Don't be fooled by new hardware my friend. I've been in business to long to
>know that even right of the box has and can be defective. A floppy drive is
>very cheap these days and worth the price to by one and try it. Here's one
>for $4.88 http://www.gizmos2go.com/product.php...82&MMCF_Nextag
>
>See if you have a friend that would let you borrow theirs and see if that is
>indeed the problem. I'm betting it is.
>
>All the best,
>SG
>
><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>news:ge3uj3pu8ivqdjd327st53i3p7reehgj8s@4ax.com.. .
>> SG
>>
>> Followed your suggestion and did a Goggle search. Tried some of the
>> suggestions, i.e., changed ribbon cable, uninstalled the floppy
>> driver, Vista 32x installed the driver on next reboot, used several
>> different floppies, tried to reformat the floppies, tried a freshly
>> reformatted flopped done on my XP system but still no go. Saw my
>> question posted in the Vistax64.com. I assume that the Vista 64
>> should would work the saw as Vista 32 in this case. Tried to force
>> the system to boot via the floppy by changing bios setup order this
>> did not work.
>>
>> The floppy drive has been in the system for less than 6 months and was
>> used to install the Gigabyte device drivers. Yesterday was the first
>> time since the system setup that the drive was used. The problem can
>> not be age or usage. Since the desktop is sitting on top of the desk
>> away from the floor there is little chance of it getting dirty/dust
>> inside the unit.
>>
>> Still no luck hoping for a suggestion to get this to work.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0500, "SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>A Google search reveals many hits on this problem. I'd suggest reading
>>>over
>>>several of these and possibly find a solution for you. In Google type
>>>in....
>>>No ID address mark found on floppy disk
>>>
>>>All the best,
>>>SG
>>>
>>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>>news:4o1sj3t8o3623fel52gj3a2df0nvm4g4tr@4ax.com ...

SG

Re: Problem: A drive does not see floppy
Glad you go it fixed and it was a cheap solution.
--

news1ebk3tlfhsoe7jun31g84a397qfoel0lb@4ax.com...