Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone

LouB

Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone
Am new to this group so am sorry for asking an old question.
Friend has an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop.
CD drive was working and has now completely disappeared.
I believe this has happened to others so am hoping someone can point me
to some solutions.

TIA

Lou
Education is about knowing where to look for answers.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone
Follow the instructions on this web site and your optical drives will come
back to you..

Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
> Follow the instructions on this web site and your optical drives will
> come back to you..

Thank You

Lou
Deuce

Re: Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone

Lou,
Did you apply this fix and did it work for you?

I had what sounds like the same problem. Everything was working fine
with my CD/DVD drive until I connected my iPod for the first time. The
iPod was assigned the E drive letter which is used by the CD/DVD
drive. This happened to me on my old XP machine and all I had to do
was change the drive letter and I was back in business. Not with
Vista! After I changed the drive letter for the iPod, the CD/DVD
drive was not detected although it shows in the device manager. It
sounds like this would be a fix for me though I'm a little scared of
messing around with the registry.
Thanks.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:15:44 -0500, LouB <LouB@invalid.com> wrote:

>Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
>> Follow the instructions on this web site and your optical drives will
>> come back to you..
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314060
>>

>Thank You
>
>Lou

Bari

Re: Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone
Mike,

The instructions refer to "Windows XP" - will this also work for Vista? I
have been using Windows Vista Business for several months, and all of a
sudden my DVD/CD drive disappeared. Try to restore the driver and I get the
Code 10 error message. I contacted my supplier (HP) who told me I have to
back up EVERYTHING on my PC, then reinstall Vista.

Thanks,
Bari

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> Follow the instructions on this web site and your optical drives will come
> back to you..

> Mike Hall - MVP
> Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "LouB" <LouB@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > Am new to this group so am sorry for asking an old question.
> > Friend has an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop.
> > CD drive was working and has now completely disappeared.
> > I believe this has happened to others so am hoping someone can point me to
> > some solutions.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lou
> > Education is about knowing where to look for answers.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Code 10 and DVD/CD drive gone
Same for Vista.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461