Speaker problem

chawdretto

Speaker problem
Hi, ive installed vista on my PC. However i cannot play any sound on the
computer because the pc doesnt recognise my speakers. The speaker icon on the
taskbar has a red cross on it and if i access the playback settings it wont
allow me to add any devise ect. Any ideas on how i can correct this?
chawdretto

RE: Speaker problem
under playback devices it says 'no audio devices are installed'
Cal Bear '66

Re: Speaker problem
Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Device Manager. Expand Sound, video and
game controllers. What does it show for your audio adapter?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"chawdretto" <chawdretto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, ive installed vista on my PC. However i cannot play any sound on the
> computer because the pc doesnt recognise my speakers. The speaker icon on the
> taskbar has a red cross on it and if i access the playback settings it wont
> allow me to add any devise ect. Any ideas on how i can correct this?

chawdretto

Re: Speaker problem
after expanding sound, video & game.. all that shows up is 'High Definition
Audio Device'

Cal Bear '66

Re: Speaker problem
In Device Manager, right click on the High Definition Audio Device and select
Properties. On the Details tab, choose Manufacturer from the drop down list.
If it says Realtek, go here to download the Realtek HD Audio drivers (ver.
1.81):

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs

Save them to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file, press Apply and
press OK.

Double click the file to install the drivers. REBOOT.

Double click on the RED speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar to
run the Realtek HD Audio Manager and configure your audio.

> after expanding sound, video & game.. all that shows up is 'High Definition
> Audio Device'

Malke

Re: Speaker problem
chawdretto wrote:
> after expanding sound, video & game.. all that shows up is 'High Definition
> Audio Device'

Just the same as my other post - you forgot to install drivers for your
hardware. You need to get *Vista* drivers. Once again, here is general
drivers information.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
chawdretto

Re: Speaker problem
cal bear, ive followed what youve suggested and i have to say that the
speakers do work now...

but, the speaker quality is absolutely terrible now, there is no clarity in
them at all. its not the speakers as ive tried them with my laptop and they
work perfectly. What's wrong now!...im pullin my hair out tryin to figure out
whats up with the computer.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> In Device Manager, right click on the High Definition Audio Device and select
> Properties. On the Details tab, choose Manufacturer from the drop down list.
> If it says Realtek, go here to download the Realtek HD Audio drivers (ver.
> 1.81):
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs
>
> Save them to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file, press Apply and
> press OK.
>
> Double click the file to install the drivers. REBOOT.
>
> Double click on the RED speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar to
> run the Realtek HD Audio Manager and configure your audio.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "chawdretto" <chawdretto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > after expanding sound, video & game.. all that shows up is 'High Definition
> > Audio Device'

Cal Bear '66

Re: Speaker problem
Damn, that's a bummer, isn't it?

The only thing I can think of is a total removal and reinstallation of the
driver.

1. REMOVE THE DRIVERS:

In Device Manager, right click on the Realtek entry and select UNINSTALL.

IMPORTANT: In the uninstall confirmation dialog, be SURE to CHECK the
box to delete the driver files.

2. In Control Panel (Classic view) > Programs and Features, highlight "Realtek
High Definition Audio Driver" and press the Uninstall button.

3. REBOOT

4. Double click the downloaded Realtek and install again.

5. REBOOT

6. Be sure to click on the red speaker icon in the Notification Area and go
through all the options of the Realtek Audio Manager. (Also available in Control
Panel.)

I really don't know why you are having this problem. I also have Realtek (and
Creative X-Fi) and the sound from both is excellent.

Good luck. I hope this works for you. Post back if this does not help.

> cal bear, ive followed what youve suggested and i have to say that the
> speakers do work now...
>
> but, the speaker quality is absolutely terrible now, there is no clarity in
> them at all. its not the speakers as ive tried them with my laptop and they
> work perfectly. What's wrong now!...im pullin my hair out tryin to figure out
> whats up with the computer.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> In Device Manager, right click on the High Definition Audio Device and select
>> Properties. On the Details tab, choose Manufacturer from the drop down list.
>> If it says Realtek, go here to download the Realtek HD Audio drivers (ver.
>> 1.81):
>>
>> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs
>>
>> Save them to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file, press Apply
>> and
>> press OK.
>>
>> Double click the file to install the drivers. REBOOT.
>>
>> Double click on the RED speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar
>> run the Realtek HD Audio Manager and configure your audio.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "chawdretto" <chawdretto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > after expanding sound, video & game.. all that shows up is 'High Definition
>> > Audio Device'

chawdretto

Re: Speaker problem
cheers for the help cal bear, but im afraid its still how it was before.
guess im gunna have to pay (shudder) for someone to have a look at my
computer.
chawdretto

Re: Speaker problem
ive gone through all the steps mentioned but my speakers are still sounding
terrible