Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update

Rotten Deadite

Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
I installed a USB-related update through Live Update last night and when I
rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.

They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
issue.

I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
get the same problem.

I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
& keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.

Suggestions, anyone?
timtyson

RE: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
I have exactly the same problem. After downloading the latest update for
Windows Vista which was optional and appeared today 11/15/07, the mouse and
keyboard no longer work in Vista which stops at the password window. The
keyboard does work in BIOS. I have no idea what to do except to reload Vista.

"Rotten Deadite" wrote:

> I installed a USB-related update through Live Update last night and when I
> rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
>
> They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> issue.
>
> I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> get the same problem.
>
> I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

Rotten Deadite

RE: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
Yeah, sounds like we have exactly the same problems. What kind of hardware
do you have? Here's my system:

Intel E6600 on MSI P6N SLI MB
2x Geil 1GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM
EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCIE

And the troublemakers:
Microsoft Natural 5000 keyboard (USB)
Microsoft Explorer 4.0A mouse (USB)

I'm using the recovery DVD provided to me by Cyberpower PC to reinstall
Vista at the moment. I'll post again when it's done.

"timtyson" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem. After downloading the latest update for
> Windows Vista which was optional and appeared today 11/15/07, the mouse and
> keyboard no longer work in Vista which stops at the password window. The
> keyboard does work in BIOS. I have no idea what to do except to reload Vista.
>
> "Rotten Deadite" wrote:
>
> > I installed a USB-related update through Live Update last night and when I
> > rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
> >
> > They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> > issue.
> >
> > I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> > nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> > get the same problem.
> >
> > I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> > & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
> >
> > Suggestions, anyone?

JoseG

RE: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
I suffered the same problem...
I "fixed" my problem by booting from my Vista Install CD/DVD, choosing
repair and then restoring the system prior to the last update. Mosue and
Keyboard now works.
--
Thanks

"Rotten Deadite" wrote:

> I installed a USB-related update through Live Update last night and when I
> rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
>
> They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> issue.
>
> I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> get the same problem.
>
> I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

deaden_07

Re: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update

I don't have this poblem but... Did anyone try using a different mouse
and keyboard to get into device manager and removing the drivers for the
ones that stopped working? Then force it to find them again?

I'll see if that update is there for me to install when I get off work.
If it is, I'll post results.

--
deaden_07
JoseG

Re: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
Yes, I tried a PS2 mouse and keyboard - they all work fin until you get to
windows. How are you going to change or modify the drivers without a mouse or
keyboard???
The answer is; use the install Vista CD/DVD choose repair then restore the
system to the most recent image prior to the last windows update.
--
Thanks

"deaden_07" wrote:

> I don't have this poblem but... Did anyone try using a different mouse
> and keyboard to get into device manager and removing the drivers for the
> ones that stopped working? Then force it to find them again?
>
> I'll see if that update is there for me to install when I get off work.
> If it is, I'll post results.
>

> --
> deaden_07

Rotten Deadite

Re: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
I have no installation disk, only a "Recovery DVD-ROM" that Cyberpower PC
sent me, so I had to install a completely new copy of Vista. That sucked.

Oh and now I get to patch up World of Warcraft from my release-version
installation disks. Joy!

The best part of this is, now I can't trust any updates from Microsoft any
more. I have to disable all automatic updating because, one morning, I might
walk in and out Microsoft "updated" my computer and now it's totally broken.

-RD

"JoseG" wrote:

> Yes, I tried a PS2 mouse and keyboard - they all work fin until you get to
> windows. How are you going to change or modify the drivers without a mouse or
> keyboard???
> The answer is; use the install Vista CD/DVD choose repair then restore the
> system to the most recent image prior to the last windows update.
> --
> Thanks
>

> "deaden_07" wrote:
>

> > I don't have this poblem but... Did anyone try using a different mouse
> > and keyboard to get into device manager and removing the drivers for the
> > ones that stopped working? Then force it to find them again?
> >
> > I'll see if that update is there for me to install when I get off work.
> > If it is, I'll post results.
> >

> > --
> > deaden_07

timtyson

RE: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
JoseG is right. But his explanation is a little brief for novices. 1. Turn
off your computer. 2. Turn on your computer. 3. When the black and white
BIOS screen comes up BEFORE Vista start, touch the F12 key to select the
source of your boot to Vista, 4. Among the options given, select the CD as
the source of Vista, 5. BEFORE you touch the Enter key to exit the BIOS
screen, install the CD in the CD drive of your computer and listen to hear
that it is rotating, 6. When the CD posts some options on the screen, select
RESTORE, 7. Then follow the remaining questions. I am doing this from memory
from about 5 hours ago. The RESTORE function will delete the last update
which is the one causing the problem and restore your computer to the way it
was before you downloaded the update, i.e. the mouse and keyboard should work
normally.

"JoseG" wrote:

> I suffered the same problem...
> I "fixed" my problem by booting from my Vista Install CD/DVD, choosing
> repair and then restoring the system prior to the last update. Mosue and
> Keyboard now works.
> --
> Thanks
>

> "Rotten Deadite" wrote:
>
> > I installed a USB-related update through Live Update last night and when I
> > rebooted my computer my mouse & keyboard no longer work.
> >
> > They light up, and the keyboard works in BIOS so I assume this is a driver
> > issue.
> >
> > I've reseated them, switched USB ports, even tried them in the ps2 ports but
> > nothing seems to work. I've even tried a different mouse & keyboard but I
> > get the same problem.
> >
> > I'd love to try re-installing drivers or something, but as I said the mouse
> > & keyboard don't work so I can't even log in.
> >
> > Suggestions, anyone?

deaden_07

Re: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update

Installed the update and all is still well. Actually it fixed a few
other problems for me. So it seems I won't be of any help in figuring
out why the update causes the problem. Sorry.

--
deaden_07
Ink-J

Re: Mouse & Keyboard don't work after Update
what if i don't have install disk and recovery CD? i have bought a new PC
that already had Vista preinstalled.