Hardware errors After Windows Update

Ben Ramsay

Hardware errors After Windows Update
System tyoe Compaq Persario F500
OS Windows Vista Home Basic

Devices - Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller & Nivida GForce Go 6100

Error message - could not load driver software

Method for error
Have just performed a Windows Update and rebooted as requested and now the
above devices are showing the listed error. Have gone into Windows device
manager and noticed that the devices have a yellow triangle with an
exclimation point net to them. The devices were working before the update
was done, at the time of this I was attempting to roll back device drivers
to their origrinal state.

Futher insite would be greatly welcome.

Thankyou in advance.

IkidUnot

RE: Hardware errors After Windows Update
I guess I would approach this in the following order:
1) What did you get from Windows update? What kind of update affects both
the USB controller and the graphics subsystem?
In general the advice goes: stick to OS updates from Windows Update;
optional and especially hardware updates should be gotten from the hardware
manufacturer or PC mfg-er's sites!

2) if you press F8 while the system boots, you should be able to choose the
last known good configuration, and the sytem should revert back to before you
had the problem.

Let this forum know if this helps or if you figure out the problem, so
others can benefit from it. As far as I know the "notify me of replies"
doesn't work, so don't count on this feature.
Good luck, hope this helps a bit...

"Ben Ramsay" wrote:

> System tyoe Compaq Persario F500
> OS Windows Vista Home Basic
>
> Devices - Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller & Nivida GForce Go 6100
>
> Error message - could not load driver software
>

> Method for error
> Have just performed a Windows Update and rebooted as requested and now the
> above devices are showing the listed error. Have gone into Windows device
> manager and noticed that the devices have a yellow triangle with an
> exclimation point net to them. The devices were working before the update
> was done, at the time of this I was attempting to roll back device drivers
> to their origrinal state.
>
> Futher insite would be greatly welcome.
>
> Thankyou in advance.

Ben Ramsay

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
The updates were from the microsoft server. I used the system restore
feature and the system is now back to working order, even if it has not been
updated.

As for the updates that affect the two devices I have no idea. I can gues
and say that the updates for the devices may have caused more resources to
be needed than whould have been avalible, and as a result this problem
occur. Apart from that there is nothing to indicate the drivers were faulty.

All update were obtained from the Microsoft website, this includes the
drivers as well. So I can not figure out why these would cause the error
mentioned in the last post. Windows would not place these in my update
window if my system did not need them or would it.

I look forward to comments, Thankyou for the help so far.

Bob J

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
Generally it is preferable to download drivers for manufactured PCs from the
manufacturers website or the device manufacturers website, they are more
specifically prepared for the model of PC/device purchased. The MS driver
updates are as they say generic & are not always reliable, on some machines
OK, some not.
Set you MS Update to download updates but not to install, then when you are
notified updates available select the ones you wish to install, generally
again MS driver updates are usually marked as "reccommended".
This is something I have been doing for several years now (XP/Vista) and
have had no problems with upgrades.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Ben Ramsay" wrote:

> The updates were from the microsoft server. I used the system restore
> feature and the system is now back to working order, even if it has not been
> updated.
>
> As for the updates that affect the two devices I have no idea. I can gues
> and say that the updates for the devices may have caused more resources to
> be needed than whould have been avalible, and as a result this problem
> occur. Apart from that there is nothing to indicate the drivers were faulty.
>
> All update were obtained from the Microsoft website, this includes the
> drivers as well. So I can not figure out why these would cause the error
> mentioned in the last post. Windows would not place these in my update
> window if my system did not need them or would it.
>
> I look forward to comments, Thankyou for the help so far.

akagiredsun1

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
I'm having the exact same problem on my end... however, I can't go backwards
to my previous restore points. Any other way of removing the update?
Bob J

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
Go thru Control Panel > Windows Update > View Update History . follow
instructions at top of window > select update you wish to uninstall.
Uninstall one at time until find one causing problem, reinstall ones that are
OK
--

"akagiredsun1" wrote:

> I'm having the exact same problem on my end... however, I can't go backwards
> to my previous restore points. Any other way of removing the update?

roy69

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update

Tru reinstaling your motherboard and gfx card drivers from your
manufactures disk. You can always update them later. Personally I try
not to update motherboard drivers from microsoft.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
Batfink

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
I tried loads of things after installing the optional updates, finding that I
could not use mainboard usbs, only pci casd usbs worked.

Got it working again by rolling back the standard openhcd usb host
controller driver in device manager

Hope works for you too.

Last time I install optional updates!

Ian

"akagiredsun1" wrote:

> I'm having the exact same problem on my end... however, I can't go backwards
> to my previous restore points. Any other way of removing the update?

IkidUnot

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
As I said, for Windows Update, stick to OS updates that are critical or
recommended. Don't get any hardware updates or optional (esp hardware)
updates there. Go to the Mfg-er's website for those.

It's very good advice to get the LIST of available updates first, and then
choose carefully! (thx, BobJ)

"roy69" wrote:

> Tru reinstaling your motherboard and gfx card drivers from your
> manufactures disk. You can always update them later. Personally I try
> not to update motherboard drivers from microsoft.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
> - CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

Elliott

Re: Hardware errors After Windows Update
http://wyday.com/blog/2007/dont-install-ati-pic-e-3gio/

Sounds like this is your problem.