SCSI SAFE REMOVAL ?

UPRIGHTBASSER

SCSI SAFE REMOVAL ?
WHY DO I GET A NOTIFICATION THAT IT IS SAFE TO REMOVE AN SCSI DISK DEVICE FOR
DRIVES D: C:,, ? AND THEN CANT REMOVE,, ? OR MAYBE I SHOULDNT ?
Richard G. Harper

Re: SCSI SAFE REMOVAL ?
No, you shouldn't be trying to remove them. Many SCSI and SATA drives are
"hot-pluggable" - that is, you can remove and replace them without shutting
down the computer. This is usually used in a RAID array where one drive can
go bad but the rest are still working, replacing the bad drive will repair
the array. But if you have your drives installed as single drives, removing
them will stop Windows so you are correctly told they cannot be stopped or
removed.

"UPRIGHTBASSER" <UPRIGHTBASSER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> WHY DO I GET A NOTIFICATION THAT IT IS SAFE TO REMOVE AN SCSI DISK DEVICE
> FOR
> DRIVES D: C:,, ? AND THEN CANT REMOVE,, ? OR MAYBE I SHOULDNT ?

UPRIGHTBASSER

Re: SCSI SAFE REMOVAL ?
thanks, i suspected such,, so is there a way to "clear the notification area
of saying they are safe to remove ?

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> No, you shouldn't be trying to remove them. Many SCSI and SATA drives are
> "hot-pluggable" - that is, you can remove and replace them without shutting
> down the computer. This is usually used in a RAID array where one drive can
> go bad but the rest are still working, replacing the bad drive will repair
> the array. But if you have your drives installed as single drives, removing
> them will stop Windows so you are correctly told they cannot be stopped or
> removed.

> "UPRIGHTBASSER" <UPRIGHTBASSER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > WHY DO I GET A NOTIFICATION THAT IT IS SAFE TO REMOVE AN SCSI DISK DEVICE
> > FOR
> > DRIVES D: C:,, ? AND THEN CANT REMOVE,, ? OR MAYBE I SHOULDNT ?

Richard G. Harper

Re: SCSI SAFE REMOVAL ?
Probably not, unless you install an older/previous set of drivers that don't
recognize the drives as removable but that process would carry other risks -
like an unbootable system.