messed up keyboard - need help!

chawdretto

messed up keyboard - need help!
hi

ive installed vista on my PC and my keyboard has messed up. What has
happened is some keys have been 'switched'. ie if i were to try and type out
'@' i have to use shift+2.. also occurs with other keys e.g the pound sign
(to which i havent found the correct key!)

any clue on how i could correct this? or is it a hardware problem?
Malke

Re: messed up keyboard - need help!
chawdretto wrote:
> hi
>
> ive installed vista on my PC and my keyboard has messed up. What has
> happened is some keys have been 'switched'. ie if i were to try and type out
> '@' i have to use shift+2.. also occurs with other keys e.g the pound sign
> (to which i havent found the correct key!)
>
> any clue on how i could correct this? or is it a hardware problem?

Check in Control Panel>Regional and Language Options to make sure you've
selected the correct country/language.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
chawdretto

Re: messed up keyboard - need help!
hi, thanks for the reply.

ive checked the languages and its set to the right settings, however the
keys are still messed up.

chawdretto wrote:
> hi, thanks for the reply.
>
> ive checked the languages and its set to the right settings, however the
> keys are still messed up.

After you installed Vista, did you then install all the drivers for your
hardware? If not, you need to do so. See below for general drivers
information. For the keyboard, try a different one. Does it still mess
up? Is the keyboard a specialized one that requires drivers? Did you
install the Vista drivers?

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

If you have installed drivers from Windows Update, you can roll them back:

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To
Geek - http://tinyurl.com/346lox

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
chawdretto

Re: messed up keyboard - need help!
cheers for the help malke, ive sorted it out now. thanks again

....but now i have a problem with my speakers!

chawdretto wrote:
> cheers for the help malke, ive sorted it out now. thanks again
>
> ...but now i have a problem with my speakers!

It would have been nice if you had told us what you did to sort it out.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
chawdretto

Re: messed up keyboard - need help!
oh sorry, it turned out to be the languages...i didnt notice that there was a
keyboard languages tab. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!