Vista won't recoginize hardware

Mike

Vista won't recoginize hardware
I have tried & tried to add my HP 7550 printer and Epson 3590 scanner.
Software is loaded, when I attach the USB cable I get acknowledgment. But
when I try to open either one, it's like it doesn't exist. I get messages
telling me the connection failed. Thanks for any assitsance.
SG

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
See if this helps on your printer issue,,,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us

All the best,
SG

newsBE8AA7C-1D93-4B87-AC95-F7952DFDDD6E@microsoft.com...
>I have tried & tried to add my HP 7550 printer and Epson 3590 scanner.
> Software is loaded, when I attach the USB cable I get acknowledgment. But
> when I try to open either one, it's like it doesn't exist. I get messages
> telling me the connection failed. Thanks for any assitsance.

Mike

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
It didn't work. When I connect the USB cable at the end, I see the "circle"
only for an instant, then it goes to a blinking cursor and nothing happens.
I do not get a nessage that it found new hardware. I have tried all the USB
ports.

"SG" wrote:

> See if this helps on your printer issue,,,
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us
>
> All the best,
> SG
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsBE8AA7C-1D93-4B87-AC95-F7952DFDDD6E@microsoft.com...
> >I have tried & tried to add my HP 7550 printer and Epson 3590 scanner.
> > Software is loaded, when I attach the USB cable I get acknowledgment. But
> > when I try to open either one, it's like it doesn't exist. I get messages
> > telling me the connection failed. Thanks for any assitsance.

dzomlija

Mike;513225 Wrote:
> It didn't work. When I connect the USB cable at the end, I see the
> "circle" only for an instant, then it goes to a blinking cursor and
> nothing happens. I do not get a nessage that it found new hardware. I
> have tried all the USB ports.

Does this also happen with other devices, such as a USB Flash Drive? It
may be that your USB Ports are either dead, or their drivers are
corrupt.

Go into Device Manager, and Remove all your USB ports, then do a
Refresh to that Windows picks them up again.

To be sure where the problem lies, try connecting your printer and
scanner to another computer, if possible.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
Mike,

Is there any hint in the Device Manager display? (start orb, type device and
select the 'device manager' in program list)

Try inserting the cable for just the printer. You should get the two tone
beep, then an entry should show as USB Printing Support under Universal
Serial Bus controllers.
In the properties window / details' Bus relations property' should be the
name of the printer.

Anything with a problem icon (exclamation, question mark, warning sign) ?

I have found that HP printer installations are very finicky about
installations. You must follow the directions EXACTLY as to when to do what.
I have had to completely uninstall the HP stuff and then start over very
carefully many a time.

Michael
Vista Home premium

> It didn't work. When I connect the USB cable at the end, I see the
> "circle"
> only for an instant, then it goes to a blinking cursor and nothing
> happens.
> I do not get a nessage that it found new hardware. I have tried all the
> USB
> ports.
>
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps on your printer issue,,,
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us
>>
>> All the best,
>> SG
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsBE8AA7C-1D93-4B87-AC95-F7952DFDDD6E@microsoft.com...
>> >I have tried & tried to add my HP 7550 printer and Epson 3590 scanner.
>> > Software is loaded, when I attach the USB cable I get acknowledgment.
>> > But
>> > when I try to open either one, it's like it doesn't exist. I get
>> > messages
>> > telling me the connection failed. Thanks for any assitsance.

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
Mike,
Checking at the HP site, they say Vista is not fully supported (7550) . Did
you install software from a XP CD by any chance?
Their site has instructions for using an alternate driver included with the
vista, instructions are a little strange but if you haven't checked this out
it might be of interest

Michel

> It didn't work. When I connect the USB cable at the end, I see the
> "circle"
> only for an instant, then it goes to a blinking cursor and nothing
> happens.
> I do not get a nessage that it found new hardware. I have tried all the
> USB
> ports.
>
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps on your printer issue,,,
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en&lc=en&cc=us
>>
>> All the best,
>> SG
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsBE8AA7C-1D93-4B87-AC95-F7952DFDDD6E@microsoft.com...
>> >I have tried & tried to add my HP 7550 printer and Epson 3590 scanner.
>> > Software is loaded, when I attach the USB cable I get acknowledgment.
>> > But
>> > when I try to open either one, it's like it doesn't exist. I get
>> > messages
>> > telling me the connection failed. Thanks for any assitsance.

Mike

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
The USB ports are fine; checked w/ thumbdrive w/ no problems. I'll try the
other suggestions tomorrow. Got some pointers at MicroCenter as well
tonight. I'll post my success of failure.

"dzomlija" wrote:

> Mike;513225 Wrote:
> > It didn't work. When I connect the USB cable at the end, I see the
> > "circle" only for an instant, then it goes to a blinking cursor and
> > nothing happens. I do not get a nessage that it found new hardware. I
> > have tried all the USB ports.

> Does this also happen with other devices, such as a USB Flash Drive? It
> may be that your USB Ports are either dead, or their drivers are
> corrupt.
>
> Go into Device Manager, and Remove all your USB ports, then do a
> Refresh to that Windows picks them up again.
>
> To be sure where the problem lies, try connecting your printer and
> scanner to another computer, if possible.
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>
> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
> - 4GB DDR400
> - ASUS nVidia 6600
> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
> - Vista Ultimate x64
> - CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

Mike

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
Got it! Finally!

I'm feeling cocky today, so I'll see if I can get my Epson scanner to work.

Thanks for the help.
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
Mike,

How did you get it to work?

Michael

news7CC06F6-2C8F-4E34-9DE9-DFEFFA8EB592@microsoft.com...
> Got it! Finally!
>
> I'm feeling cocky today, so I'll see if I can get my Epson scanner to
> work.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Mike

Re: Vista won't recoginize hardware
I think it was a combination of things. I uninstalled the driver for the
7550, then followed the instructions (again) on the HP site. It worked after
that. I think I may also have had the USB cable plugged in when I followed
the HP instructions the first time. I went real slow this time, did
everything exactly, and it works. IN general, I'm finding Vista a pain in
the butt.

Mike