Unable to install USB HP Printer (photosmart 3210)

Shwoarma

Unable to install USB HP Printer (photosmart 3210)
Hello all,

I am Running vista Home premium and have a problem installing the HP printer.

I install the software and then connect the USB lead and turn on printer.
The software looks for the printer, Vista's own hardware detect comes on,
then I get a problem.

It asks for which file to select either on my c drive in the windows / inf
folder or windows update version. Which ever I select I then get an errror
which states:

"Unable to install due to an error : the volume has been externally altered
and therefore cannot install. Please contact the hardware vendor"

I have tried removing the files in the C drive windows inf folder and just
leaving the windows update version, uninstalling completely, using the
printer wizard but all have the same result as above.

Spent £25 on the phone to HP they have not got a clue, hoping you can help

thanks
Kevin

Re: Unable to install USB HP Printer (photosmart 3210)

"Shwoarma" <Shwoarma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am Running vista Home premium and have a problem installing the HP
> printer.
>
> I install the software and then connect the USB lead and turn on printer.
> The software looks for the printer, Vista's own hardware detect comes on,
> then I get a problem.
>
> It asks for which file to select either on my c drive in the windows / inf
> folder or windows update version. Which ever I select I then get an errror
> which states:
>
> "Unable to install due to an error : the volume has been externally
> altered
> and therefore cannot install. Please contact the hardware vendor"
>
> I have tried removing the files in the C drive windows inf folder and just
> leaving the windows update version, uninstalling completely, using the
> printer wizard but all have the same result as above.
>
> Spent £25 on the phone to HP they have not got a clue, hoping you can help
>
> thanks

Here is the link to the newest drivers for that printer on the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...439488&lang=en

Make sure you are following the installation instructions to the letter.
Some printers are very picky about installation procedures.

Shwoarma

"Kevin" wrote:

> "Shwoarma" <Shwoarma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am Running vista Home premium and have a problem installing the HP
> > printer.
> >
> > I install the software and then connect the USB lead and turn on printer.
> > The software looks for the printer, Vista's own hardware detect comes on,
> > then I get a problem.
> >
> > It asks for which file to select either on my c drive in the windows / inf
> > folder or windows update version. Which ever I select I then get an errror
> > which states:
> >
> > "Unable to install due to an error : the volume has been externally
> > altered
> > and therefore cannot install. Please contact the hardware vendor"
> >
> > I have tried removing the files in the C drive windows inf folder and just
> > leaving the windows update version, uninstalling completely, using the
> > printer wizard but all have the same result as above.
> >
> > Spent £25 on the phone to HP they have not got a clue, hoping you can help
> >
> > thanks

> Here is the link to the newest drivers for that printer on the HP website:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...439488&lang=en
>
> Make sure you are following the installation instructions to the letter.
> Some printers are very picky about installation procedures.

Those are the ones I have been using. Still the same result.