deleting hard drive partition

ICQM Houston

deleting hard drive partition
system info: Lenovo Z61M, Core Duo CPU, 120GB HDD with hidden parition for OS
recovery, 1GB RAM upgraded to 3GB - original OS is Business Vista32 upgraded
to Ultimate Vista32

i have this Lenovo laptop that runs too slow and i upgraded the RAM from 1
GB to 3 GB but no luck. i upgraded the OS to Ultimate Vista32 - clean install
and the old Business Vista was totally wiped out. i then installed the Lenovo
drivers (previously d/loaded and saved on a CD). the upgrade impoved the
performance by an enormous speed.

THE PROBLEM: i want the HIDDEN partition (where the OS recovery is
installed) removed from the HDD because i need more storage space for my
projects. is there a program that would help me delete the hidden parition? i
do not have the floppy disk for Vista (like the one used in Win98 that is
usable for XP).

other info: i have the IBM recovery CDs just in case. but in all common
senses, i may not need this IBM recovery CDs because the laptop is running in
excellence with Ultimate Vista32 upgraded.
dzomlija

Re: deleting hard drive partition

ICQM Houston;511299 Wrote:
> system info: Lenovo Z61M, Core Duo CPU, 120GB HDD with hidden parition
> for OS
> recovery, 1GB RAM upgraded to 3GB - original OS is Business Vista32
> upgraded
> to Ultimate Vista32
>
> i have this Lenovo laptop that runs too slow and i upgraded the RAM
> from 1
> GB to 3 GB but no luck. i upgraded the OS to Ultimate Vista32 - clean
> install
> and the old Business Vista was totally wiped out. i then installed the
> Lenovo
> drivers (previously d/loaded and saved on a CD). the upgrade impoved
> the
> performance by an enormous speed.
>
> THE PROBLEM: i want the HIDDEN partition (where the OS recovery is
> installed) removed from the HDD because i need more storage space for
> my
> projects. is there a program that would help me delete the hidden
> parition? i
> do not have the floppy disk for Vista (like the one used in Win98 that
> is
> usable for XP).
>
> other info: i have the IBM recovery CDs just in case. but in all common
> senses, i may not need this IBM recovery CDs because the laptop is
> running in
> excellence with Ultimate Vista32 upgraded.

In all common senses, you will at some point, whether you like it or
not, need the recovery DVDs.

You should be able to delte the hidden partition using the following
method by opening "Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Administrative
Tools". Then open Computer Management and go into Disk Management.
Right-click on the drive/partition for available commands.

Once you have deleted the hidden partition, you should be able to
extend another to fill the now unused space.

Pay attention, because one wrong step in the above and you WILL need
your recovery DVDs:

-The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
expressed in this mail/post.-

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
roy69

Re: deleting hard drive partition

Have you considered buying an external USB drive. This will give you
considerably more space than recovering a partition. It will also allow
you to take your work from one computer to another. Storage space is
getting cheaper.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
ICQM Houston

Re: deleting hard drive partition
i tried that Disk Management - the hidden drive is grayed and not clickable -
right click yield no options as well.

maybe, i'll replace the hard drive with a larger capacity and see if it
works. thanks

ICQM Houston;512133 Wrote:
> i tried that Disk Management - the hidden drive is grayed and not
> clickable - right click yield no options as well.
>
> maybe, i'll replace the hard drive with a larger capacity and see if it
> works. thanks

Sorry it didn't work. It's possible that the partition has been
protected to prevent just this sort of thing. TBH, I wasn't too keen on
helping you delete your recovery partition. Murphy's Law states that: "A
second after you thought you don't need something and you have
permanently gotten rid of it, you need it".

Roy69 is correct in saying that you should get an external USB drive if
space is at a premium.

Your laptop manufacturer should also be able to help in either adding a
second hard disk (some laptops can take two) or replacing the existing
one with a larger model.

If you feel up to it, you may even be able to connect a larger hard
disk via the USB port (with an appropriate adapter), and use Acronis
TrueImage Home to "clone" your existing drive onto it. From there, you
can swap-out your drives and you will no longer have a space problem.
The recovery partition will be safe too!

--
dzomlija