Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM

David

Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM
Hello, I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, CPU E6550 (4gbRAM 4*1gb
Kensington ddr677), p35-ICH9 motherboard (checked, most recent bios) ATI
2600pro catalyist 7.10 (working, but small secondary output problem) 320Gb
SATA2 harddisk.

It is a brand new computer, XP pro was on before, then I realised i could go
64bit, ( all hell broke loose) installed Vista 64 Ultimate.

The point is that in the Bios 4Gb RAM is displayed, yet Vista believes that
there is 3325mb avaliable, as stated above, ive checked the bios, its the
most recent.
I have also looked around for this 'memory mapper/remapper' solution,
however i can't see anything in the Bios that looks like that function.
Also I have checked and tried to install the microsoft update thats meant to
fix the RAM problem, but my Vista said, "this version of windows doesn't need
the update".

So can anyone help?
Does the 'memory mapper/remapper' has a different name in the bios?
Or is there some other magical solution to this Vista problem.
Calling all wizards!
dzomlija

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM

David;511248 Wrote:
> Hello, I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, CPU E6550 (4gbRAM
> 4*1gb
> Kensington ddr677), p35-ICH9 motherboard (checked, most recent bios)
> ATI
> 2600pro catalyist 7.10 (working, but small secondary output problem)
> 320Gb
> SATA2 harddisk.
>
> It is a brand new computer, XP pro was on before, then I realised i
> could go
> 64bit, ( all hell broke loose) installed Vista 64 Ultimate.
>
> The point is that in the Bios 4Gb RAM is displayed, yet Vista believes
> that
> there is 3325mb avaliable, as stated above, ive checked the bios, its
> the
> most recent.
> I have also looked around for this 'memory mapper/remapper' solution,
> however i can't see anything in the Bios that looks like that function.
> Also I have checked and tried to install the microsoft update thats
> meant to
> fix the RAM problem, but my Vista said, "this version of windows
> doesn't need
> the update".
>
> So can anyone help?
> Does the 'memory mapper/remapper' has a different name in the bios?
> Or is there some other magical solution to this Vista problem.
> Calling all wizards!

This is not a Vista problem, but rather with your motherboard, but it
isn't really a problem. I'm using the ASUS-A8N32-Sli-Deluxe. When I'm in
the BIOS, it reports that 4096KB memory is installed, but only 3325KB is
usable.

This is because of 32-Bit device memory mapping. One or more devices in
our motherboards has reserved that memory space for their own use, and
that memory is thus not available to the system. If possible, remove
some devices to see if the available memory increases. If the device is
on-board, disabling it in the BIOS won't help, as the memory mapping
happens on the hardware level.

Until x64 computing becomes mainstream, and add-on devices are 64-Bit
aware, this will always be the case.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM

On 12-Nov-2007, =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= <David@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> So can anyone help?
> Does the 'memory mapper/remapper' has a different name in the bios?
> Or is there some other magical solution to this Vista problem.
> Calling all wizards!

I have the same problem with 4GB (expensive) Crucial RAM.
As far as I can determine the 'memory mapper/remapper'
is a BIOS function, and that my Asus P5VD2-X doesn't
have this implemented in its BIOS.
Won't be buying Asus again.
My Vista Ultimate 64bit has all the available updates..
If anyone can suggest a solution please post it here.
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM
There are 3 possible BIOS settings which need to be correctly set, if they
are available.

Memory hole needs to be enabled, and may have separate software and hardware
settings. There is also MTRR.

You will usually need the latest BIOS for your motherboard for these to be
available and they are often only available as advanced or hidden settings -
you need to know the keystroke combination to reveal them. Look in the
motherboard manufacturer's forums as there will be discussion there on how
to find these settings, if they are available to the user.

> Hello, I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, CPU E6550 (4gbRAM
> 4*1gb
> Kensington ddr677), p35-ICH9 motherboard (checked, most recent bios) ATI
> 2600pro catalyist 7.10 (working, but small secondary output problem)
> 320Gb
> SATA2 harddisk.
>
> It is a brand new computer, XP pro was on before, then I realised i could
> go
> 64bit, ( all hell broke loose) installed Vista 64 Ultimate.
>
> The point is that in the Bios 4Gb RAM is displayed, yet Vista believes
> that
> there is 3325mb avaliable, as stated above, ive checked the bios, its the
> most recent.
> I have also looked around for this 'memory mapper/remapper' solution,
> however i can't see anything in the Bios that looks like that function.
> Also I have checked and tried to install the microsoft update thats meant
> fix the RAM problem, but my Vista said, "this version of windows doesn't
> need
> the update".
>
> So can anyone help?
> Does the 'memory mapper/remapper' has a different name in the bios?
> Or is there some other magical solution to this Vista problem.
> Calling all wizards!

David

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM
Hi, I read what you have written and I think to myself, that makes senses, i
agree, 32bit devices need 32bit memory mapping.

Then all i can think is B@#lls!

Why can't the manufacturers sort it out, motherboard for 64bit processor,
make the things totally 64bit, spanking new SATA2 devices, why not 64bit, its
not like this only came out yesterday, the 64bit elements been kicking around
for about 3 years.

B@#lls.

David;511514 Wrote:
> Hi, I read what you have written and I think to myself, that makes
> senses, i agree, 32bit devices need 32bit memory mapping.
>
> Then all i can think is B@#lls!
>
> Why can't the manufacturers sort it out, motherboard for 64bit
> processor, make the things totally 64bit, spanking new SATA2 devices,
> why not 64bit, its not like this only came out yesterday, the 64bit
> elements been kicking around for about 3 years.

I agree wholeheartedly. But I believe the hardware [add-ons]
manufacturers stick to 32-Bit addressing for compatibility purposes.
64-Bit CPUs may have been around for 3 years or so now, but the
manufacturers have yet to play catchup.

To bring the matter into perspective:

When did 32-Bit computing become mainstream? That would be with the
release of Windows 95, and yet 32-Bit processors where around for
several years before that in the form of the 386 CPUs.

When 64 Bit becomes mainstream, and 32-Bit is considered retro, then
perhaps we'll see a change. This change could happen sooner than we
think, because 64-Bit is gaining momentum. They are available, but
finding a motherboard that supports more than the 32-Bit limit of 4GB
Ram is still an excercise in patience. And even then, many of the
on-board devices still use 32-Bit addressing.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM

> The point is that in the Bios 4Gb RAM is displayed, yet Vista believes
> that
> there is 3325mb avaliable, as stated above, ive checked the bios, its the
> most recent.

You think YOU have problems? I have Ultimate 64 and 8 GB RAM and it
shows up as 7365 MB (yes Megabytes!).

Tom Lake

;511609 Wrote:
> You think YOU have problems? I have Ultimate 64 and 8 GB RAM and it
> shows up as 7365 MB (yes Megabytes!).

Divide that number by 1024 to get the GB value. 7365MB / 1024 = 7.19GB

Again, the difference is from the memory addresses reserved by the
devices attached to the motherboard.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Rune Moberg

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Memory hole needs to be enabled, and may have separate software and
> hardware settings. There is also MTRR.
>
> You will usually need the latest BIOS for your motherboard for these to be

FWIW: The motherboards I've used the past couple of years have these options
from the start.

But yeah, defintively upgrade the BIOS. If the memory hole options are still
not available, contact the MB manufacturer and tell them to fix their BIOS.
(or simply return your board if at all possible)

To the original poster: The memory hole lets your system remap the memory
sticks above the 2^32 address line. 32-bit Windows will see only 3GB, but
64-bit Windows will finally see everything. The exception is 32-bit Windows
Server which (w/PAE enabled) will also see all memory, but then you will
have difficulties with badly written device drivers (nVidia after version
79.11 silently dropped PAE support and will not let you fire up any games).

Both my laptop and desktop systems see 4GB (to be precise: my desktop system
now runs 32-bit Windows again, but I will change back to 64-bit soon).

--
Rune

David

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 doesnt show correct RAM
To Toml_12953@hotmail.com yes you do indeed have problems.

To everyone else thanks very much for the input, the memory hole option is
in my bios and the other day i tried that, just to see what would hapen, and
it didnt work.

I tend to agree with dzomlija's answer although i haven't tested it yet.