Wireless card off on startup?

carnelain

Wireless card off on startup?
Hi all,

I was wondering is there a registry key that turns on my wireless network
card?
I would like to have it in the off position on boot. When I boot my laptop
it is on on default. I was hoping to do the same trick I did with the numlock
key.
This was done by changing the value of the following registry key to 2:
HKEY USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators
Any suggestions or am I searching in the wrong place?

Carnelain
geezer10

Re: Wireless card off on startup?

hi Carnelain,

have you tried going into device manager and disabling the device?

cheers

--
geezer10
roy69

Re: Wireless card off on startup?

Hi

Have you looked in your bios? I have a laptop as a backup computer and
the wifi is turned off as default.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
carnelain

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
I might have overlooked something. There is actually some difference between
off and disabled.
Let me explain. There is a orange button on the side of me laptop. When
Vista is fully booted it the orange button lights up indicating the wireless
LAN is enabled.
When I turn off the network card in the device manager the card is not
getting any power.
If I am correct than what I would like is the wireless LAN to be disabled on
startup. So the orange light won't come on.
Does this make sense?

Carnelain
roy69

carnelain;511735 Wrote:
> I might have overlooked something. There is actually some difference
> between
> off and disabled.
> Let me explain. There is a orange button on the side of me laptop. When
> Vista is fully booted it the orange button lights up indicating the
> wireless
> LAN is enabled.
> When I turn off the network card in the device manager the card is not
> getting any power.
> If I am correct than what I would like is the wireless LAN to be
> disabled on
> startup. So the orange light won't come on.
> Does this make sense?
>
> Carnelain

Yep you have it. You can disable the WIFI feature on most laptops buy
pressing a button. Not always on the side. Sometimes on the button
marked WIFI. This will have the same efect as disabling it. If this
button works USE IT.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
carnelain

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
But how can I make my laptop flip the switch. I don't want to be pressing the
button everytime I boot my laptop.

"roy69" wrote:

> carnelain;511735 Wrote:
> > I might have overlooked something. There is actually some difference
> > between
> > off and disabled.
> > Let me explain. There is a orange button on the side of me laptop. When
> > Vista is fully booted it the orange button lights up indicating the
> > wireless
> > LAN is enabled.
> > When I turn off the network card in the device manager the card is not
> > getting any power.
> > If I am correct than what I would like is the wireless LAN to be
> > disabled on
> > startup. So the orange light won't come on.
> > Does this make sense?
> >
> > Carnelain

> Yep you have it. You can disable the WIFI feature on most laptops buy
> pressing a button. Not always on the side. Sometimes on the button
> marked WIFI. This will have the same efect as disabling it. If this
> button works USE IT.
>

> --
> roy69
>
> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> - Abit IP35 Pro
> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> Panel. 1680 x 1050
> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

DanR

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
Check your bios for default setting. On or Off. If your laptop does NOT have
a physical switch then the bios is most likely the place to control default
behavior.

"carnelain" <carnelain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> But how can I make my laptop flip the switch. I don't want to be pressing
> the
> button everytime I boot my laptop.
>
> "roy69" wrote:
>

>> carnelain;511735 Wrote:
>> > I might have overlooked something. There is actually some difference
>> > between
>> > off and disabled.
>> > Let me explain. There is a orange button on the side of me laptop. When
>> > Vista is fully booted it the orange button lights up indicating the
>> > wireless
>> > LAN is enabled.
>> > When I turn off the network card in the device manager the card is not
>> > getting any power.
>> > If I am correct than what I would like is the wireless LAN to be
>> > disabled on
>> > startup. So the orange light won't come on.
>> > Does this make sense?
>> >
>> > Carnelain

>> Yep you have it. You can disable the WIFI feature on most laptops buy
>> pressing a button. Not always on the side. Sometimes on the button
>> marked WIFI. This will have the same efect as disabling it. If this
>> button works USE IT.
>>

>> --
>> roy69
>>
>> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
>> - Abit IP35 Pro
>> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
>> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
>> Panel. 1680 x 1050
>> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
>> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
>> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

carnelain

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
My laptop does have a physical switch. But I don't want to be pressing it
everytime my laptop boots. There is no option in the bios so I was wondering
if there is registry key or something to set it to disabled on startup.

Carnelain

"DanR" wrote:

> Check your bios for default setting. On or Off. If your laptop does NOT have
> a physical switch then the bios is most likely the place to control default
> behavior.
>

> "carnelain" <carnelain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > But how can I make my laptop flip the switch. I don't want to be pressing
> > the
> > button everytime I boot my laptop.

> >> Yep you have it. You can disable the WIFI feature on most laptops buy
> >> pressing a button. Not always on the side. Sometimes on the button
> >> marked WIFI. This will have the same efect as disabling it. If this
> >> button works USE IT.
> >>

> >> --
> >> roy69
> >>
> >> - Core 2 Quad Q6600
> >> - Abit IP35 Pro
> >> - 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Duel Channel
> >> - Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD
> >> Panel. 1680 x 1050
> >> - Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
> >> - Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
> >> - Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers

DanR

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
What I meant by "physical switch" is an on/off switch. It is not
"pressed"... it is either always on or always off. It is usually a slide
type switch on the side of the laptop. My laptop has a soft key combination
to enable or disable the built in wi-fi. In my case it's Function F2. When
those 2 keys are pressed at the same time the built in wi-fi will toggle
from enabled to disabled. Or vice versa. However, there is a setting in my
bios that determines whether the laptop will boot with wi-fi enabled or
disabled. If I set it to disabled... the laptop will always boot up with
wi-fi disabled and I will then have to turn it on with the soft key.
(Function F2) and vice-versa. So do check your bios carefully for this
setting. There should be some way to boot without wi-fi. It sucks battery
power and pilots don't like it.

> My laptop does have a physical switch. But I don't want to be pressing it
> everytime my laptop boots. There is no option in the bios so I was
> wondering
> if there is registry key or something to set it to disabled on startup.
>
> Carnelain
>
> "DanR" wrote:
>
>> Check your bios for default setting. On or Off. If your laptop does NOT
>> have
>> a physical switch then the bios is most likely the place to control
>> default
>> behavior.
>>

>> "carnelain" <carnelain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > But how can I make my laptop flip the switch. I don't want to be
>> > pressing
>> > the
>> > button everytime I boot my laptop.

carnelain

Re: Wireless card off on startup?
Thank you for your reply. I am sure there is no option in the bios (will
check once more). I've send a email to the manufacturer in hope they have an
answer. Keep you guys posted.

Carnelain