Western Digital My Book Premium Edition

Tomi

Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
Hi.

I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it on
Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even don't
show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My Book and
computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB devices work
properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because I don't have the
FireWire option on the back of computer.

Any idea what to do?

Should I contact the reseller?

Best regards,

Tomaz, Slovenia.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
Does the drive work on any other computer? It may be faulty.

"Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it on
> Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even don't
> show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My Book and
> computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB devices work
> properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because I don't have
> the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>
> Any idea what to do?
>
> Should I contact the reseller?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
There is a firmware update available. There is no indication that it
might resolve this issue but it might be worth checking with WD about it.
http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=19&swid=65

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it
> on Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even
> don't show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My
> Book and computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB
> devices work properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because
> I don't have the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>
> Any idea what to do?
>
> Should I contact the reseller?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Tomi

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
No, it doesn't. I tried with on the other (portable) computer with XP
Professional installed, but with no success.
Probably I'll go to the seller and tell him about this problem.

"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> je napisal v sporočilo
news:FC6B8650-C60C-458E-9208-1A16C60C9814@microsoft.com ...
> Does the drive work on any other computer? It may be faulty.

> "Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it
>> on Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even
>> don't show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My
>> Book and computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB devices
>> work properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because I don't
>> have the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>>
>> Any idea what to do?
>>
>> Should I contact the reseller?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
Yep, I would. If the drive doesn't work on two computers then it is most
likely faulty. If you can swap out the cable, I would try that and see if
maybe the cable is bad.

> No, it doesn't. I tried with on the other (portable) computer with XP
> Professional installed, but with no success.
> Probably I'll go to the seller and tell him about this problem.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> je napisal v sporočilo
> news:FC6B8650-C60C-458E-9208-1A16C60C9814@microsoft.com ...
>> Does the drive work on any other computer? It may be faulty.

>> "Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it
>>> on Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even
>>> don't show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My
>>> Book and computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB
>>> devices work properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because
>>> I don't have the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>>>
>>> Any idea what to do?
>>>
>>> Should I contact the reseller?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Tomi

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
I have some USB cables and changing didn't help. I also tried with another
electrical cabel, again with no luck.
"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> je napisal v sporočilo
news:9F2D5800-4F87-4425-84C8-7A157E17320A@microsoft.com ...

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 11-Nov-2007, "Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> wrote:

> If the drive doesn't work on two computers then it is most
> > likely faulty.

Being USB maybe the drive needs to be formatted before
it is seen. Some external USB drives come pre-formatted NTFS,
some don't, there are a few suppliers who buy external cases,
put in a drive, and sell them, so you get a bare drive with
no recognisable structure.
It is unlikely that any Windows machine would
recognise such a USB drive. Solution would be
to remove the drive, connect it to an appropriate
port, SATA ot whatever, the drive should appear,
and Vista should be able to format it. Unless
it was indeed dead on arrival.
Tomi

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
Now I know where is the problem - in electrical cable which goes from
electrical adapter to the disk. If I put the cable for a half in to the
disk, the light turns on for a moment, but when I put in whole in, there's
no light anymore.

"Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> je napisal v sporočilo
news:9C8D2C93-41BA-4163-B8BD-16D162FD7C62@microsoft.com ...
> Hi.
>
> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it on
> Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even don't
> show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My Book and
> computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB devices work
> properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because I don't have
> the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>
> Any idea what to do?
>
> Should I contact the reseller?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
I'd say it's time to return it for repair or replacement.

> Now I know where is the problem - in electrical cable which goes from
> electrical adapter to the disk. If I put the cable for a half in to the
> disk, the light turns on for a moment, but when I put in whole in, there's
> no light anymore.
>
> "Tomi" <t0m1@siol.net> je napisal v sporočilo
> news:9C8D2C93-41BA-4163-B8BD-16D162FD7C62@microsoft.com ...
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a problem with this external (320GB) hard disk. I want to use it
>> on Windows Vista Ultimate, but the system don't recognize it, it even
>> don't show the corner popup "System has detected a new hardware...". My
>> Book and computer are connected with USB cable. All the other USB devices
>> work properly. At the moment I can't use FireWire cable because I don't
>> have the FireWire option on the back of computer.
>>
>> Any idea what to do?
>>
>> Should I contact the reseller?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Tomaz, Slovenia.

Tomi

Re: Western Digital My Book Premium Edition
I got a new drive. :-) (Replacement.)