Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives

JustinTD

Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives
Ok, this seems to me to be a driver problem ... here's the issue, no newer
drivers are done since the board was "designed for windows vista" and it
relys on MS's drivers for most hardware ... specs below:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2
MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire 580X mainboard
2GB Corsair DDR2-800 (2x 1GB)
2x Western Digital 200GB SATA hard disks
2x Western Digital 80GB SATA hard disks
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe video card

I have 3 USB drives; 1. Sandisk 4GB Cruzer, 2. iPod Video 30GB, 3. Maxtor
One Touch III 160GB External Drive.

Here's the problem, I plug in the iPod, instant Windows freeze; i plug in
the Maxtor drive, instant - 2 minutes and Windows freezes; i plug in the
cruzer, same thing as the Maxtor ...

There are NO driver updates, I am using the latest mainboard drivers, and
according to device manager, the USB drivers are MS's and there are no USB
drivers listed on MSI's website.

Help!?

Justin
Donna Buenaventura

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives
Hi JustinTD,

See if the "Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows
Vista" will help resolve the issue.
Article and link to download the hotfix 941600 is at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600

Regards,
Donna Buenaventura
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
www.dozleng.com

"JustinTD" <JustinTD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, this seems to me to be a driver problem ... here's the issue, no newer
> drivers are done since the board was "designed for windows vista" and it
> relys on MS's drivers for most hardware ... specs below:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2
> MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire 580X mainboard
> 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 (2x 1GB)
> 2x Western Digital 200GB SATA hard disks
> 2x Western Digital 80GB SATA hard disks
> ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe video card
>
> I have 3 USB drives; 1. Sandisk 4GB Cruzer, 2. iPod Video 30GB, 3. Maxtor
> One Touch III 160GB External Drive.
>
> Here's the problem, I plug in the iPod, instant Windows freeze; i plug in
> the Maxtor drive, instant - 2 minutes and Windows freezes; i plug in the
> cruzer, same thing as the Maxtor ...
>
> There are NO driver updates, I am using the latest mainboard drivers, and
> according to device manager, the USB drivers are MS's and there are no USB
> drivers listed on MSI's website.
>
> Help!?
>
> Justin

JustinTD

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives
Well, that solved the external hard drive problem, but the iPod still causes
the freeze up, and recently i discovered so does my digital camera ...

"Donna Buenaventura" wrote:

> Hi JustinTD,
>
> See if the "Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows
> Vista" will help resolve the issue.
> Article and link to download the hotfix 941600 is at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600
>
> Regards,
> Donna Buenaventura
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
> www.dozleng.com
>
> "JustinTD" <JustinTD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, this seems to me to be a driver problem ... here's the issue, no newer
> > drivers are done since the board was "designed for windows vista" and it
> > relys on MS's drivers for most hardware ... specs below:
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ AM2
> > MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire 580X mainboard
> > 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 (2x 1GB)
> > 2x Western Digital 200GB SATA hard disks
> > 2x Western Digital 80GB SATA hard disks
> > ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB PCIe video card
> >
> > I have 3 USB drives; 1. Sandisk 4GB Cruzer, 2. iPod Video 30GB, 3. Maxtor
> > One Touch III 160GB External Drive.
> >
> > Here's the problem, I plug in the iPod, instant Windows freeze; i plug in
> > the Maxtor drive, instant - 2 minutes and Windows freezes; i plug in the
> > cruzer, same thing as the Maxtor ...
> >
> > There are NO driver updates, I am using the latest mainboard drivers, and
> > according to device manager, the USB drivers are MS's and there are no USB
> > drivers listed on MSI's website.
> >
> > Help!?
> >
> > Justin

deaden_07

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives

You and I have almost identical systems. Same motherboard, processor
and RAM. I also have a problem with USB storage devices hard locking
Vista instantly. I'll try that USB update and see what happens for me.

Have you tried using a PCI USB controller to attach the IPOD?

--
deaden_07
JustinTD

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives
Nope, and as I don't have one that would be a challenge What I can say is
that on my Acer Aspire Laptop (5100-5674) I have the same version of Vista,
and everything works fine on that one, so I STRONGLY belive this to be a
driver issue, but since there is no manufacturer drivers available aside from
MS's I am out of ideas.

"deaden_07" wrote:

> You and I have almost identical systems. Same motherboard, processor
> and RAM. I also have a problem with USB storage devices hard locking
> Vista instantly. I'll try that USB update and see what happens for me.
>
> Have you tried using a PCI USB controller to attach the IPOD?
>

> --
> deaden_07

deaden_07

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives

Sorry. I must have misread your post.

Anyway, I applied the patch and rebooted. I plugged in a 6GB
Microdrive and Vista didn't lock up. It did however refuse to open
anything in Windows Explorer. I couldn't even logoff so I had to
reboot. This time plugging in the 6GB Microdrive didn't cause any
problems. I was able to move files onto it and manipulate them.

We'll see if it holds. When I first install Vista the USB storage
devices don't cause hard locks. It takes a few reboots. I tried
various orders of installing drivers/patches and was not able to pin it
down.

So I don't know if this patch fixed the problem, or just reset whatever
time bomb causes it. I'll try a USB DVD Drive next and see what
happens.

--
deaden_07
RedBelly

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives

I have been having the same problem with Vista Home. I have the same
motherboard with similiar specs. My problem has been with USB hard
drives & my USB printer. I can print small files, but anything other
than a few text lines causes a lockup. A few times, my computer simply
shuts down, but all the case fans continue to run. The only way to get
it to boot up is to short out the CMOS memory.

I also got a BSOD a few times when I tried to access my USB drives. In
those cases, it is a video driver that has crashed. So maybe there is
some conflict with the Catalyst drivers & USB??

It is weird because all of my other USB devices work fine: keyboard,
mouse, joystick, & card reader.

I am planning on buying a cheap USB PCI card & disabling the onboard
USB to see if that helps. I will post a follow up after I am done.

MSI tech support doesn't have any answers other than to RMA the mobo.

--
RedBelly
RedBelly

Re: Vista Business Edition Freezes up w/USB Drives

I ended up buying:

'Product' (http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-P50212-S5)

I installed the card & now my usb drives & printer work normally. I
also left the onboard USB turned on & I am still using those ports for
my keyboard & mouse.

Good luck.

--
RedBelly