A HP Vista Media Center to a 42" LCD HDTV: Can't play QT, DivX, etc.

Ant

A HP Vista Media Center to a 42" LCD HDTV: Can't play QT, DivX, etc.
Hi,

I am helping someone with his new HP Vista Media Center that is wired
network connected to a nice 42" HP LCD HDTV. It works well with over the
air (OTA) HDTV tuner, WMV HD sampler files, DVDs, and non-HD WMV files.
However, playing DivX, QuickTime, etc. doesn't work.

I read that Vista's Media Center (no need for codecs, special players,
etc.) already knows how to handle these video file formats. Is there
something missing that we might had missed? I am not familiar with Media
Center so I am new to this.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
Doug Knox - [MS-MVP]

Re: A HP Vista Media Center to a 42" LCD HDTV: Can't play QT, DivX, etc.
Wherever you read this information was wrong. And there was no need to cross
post to so many different groups. Vista, nor Media Center has native
support for DivX or QuickTime files. You need to install the appropriate
codecs for those formats.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am helping someone with his new HP Vista Media Center that is wired
> network connected to a nice 42" HP LCD HDTV. It works well with over the
> air (OTA) HDTV tuner, WMV HD sampler files, DVDs, and non-HD WMV files.
> However, playing DivX, QuickTime, etc. doesn't work.
>
> I read that Vista's Media Center (no need for codecs, special players,
> etc.) already knows how to handle these video file formats. Is there
> something missing that we might had missed? I am not familiar with Media
> Center so I am new to this.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> "Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed
> off?" --unknown
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
> ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Ant

Re: A HP Vista Media Center to a 42" LCD HDTV: Can't play QT, DivX,etc.
On 11/10/2007 5:58 AM PT, Doug Knox - [MS-MVP] typed:

> Wherever you read this information was wrong. Vista, nor Media Center has
> native support for DivX or QuickTime files. You need to install the
> appropriate codecs for those formats.

Thanks. I guess I will have to install the codecs and players. Will I
assume that the players (e.g., QT) will play fullscreen automatically?
--
"Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways and be wise: which
having no guide, overseer or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer and
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
Doug Knox - [MS-MVP]

Re: A HP Vista Media Center to a 42" LCD HDTV: Can't play QT, DivX, etc.
That depends on the options. With DivX, yes, videos will start full screen.
I can't speak for Quicktime formats.