Vista 64bit on ASUS A8V board

Skeeve

Vista 64bit on ASUS A8V board
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my PC to an AMD Athlon 64 bit X2 on an ASUS
A8V mainboard. Also used the opportunity to get a Vista x64 license.

So I installed it and soon got stuck with the NVIDIA 7900GTO card I
have. Turns out I had to tweak the graphics card's bios to get that to
work properly in high resolutions. But that works great now.

Also had to get drivers from the Realtek website for network and
sound. The windows drivers wouldn't work. Network is working great
now.

My last remaining driver problem with Vista is the sound. Windows
automatically installed a "High Definition Audio Device". It says the
driver was installed successfully, but the sound doesn't work.

So I got the Realtek driver for the chip mentioned in the ASUS board
manual and voila, sound worked great. Until the next boot :-( After I
reboot, Vista "forgets" that I installed the Realtek drivers and
installs the "High Definition Audio Device" again --> No sound after
that.

So I install the Realtek drivers again and the sound works again until
the next reboot and so on.

Today, however, when I booted it up, the "High Definition Audio
Device" was back and now I can't even install the Realtek drivers
anymore. The setup simply says "No driver was supported in this driver
package." When I try to manually "update driver" in Device Manager,
Vista tells me that "it decided that optimal drivers are already
installed".

So first of all, how can I install the Realtek drivers now and second,
how do I install them persistant?

Thanks in advance,
Skeeve
Skeeve

Re: Vista 64bit on ASUS A8V board
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:24:22 -0500, Skeeve <nospam@brasch.info> wrote:

>My last remaining driver problem with Vista is the sound. Windows
>automatically installed a "High Definition Audio Device". It says the
>driver was installed successfully, but the sound doesn't work.
>
>So I got the Realtek driver for the chip mentioned in the ASUS board
>manual and voila, sound worked great. Until the next boot :-( After I
>reboot, Vista "forgets" that I installed the Realtek drivers and
>installs the "High Definition Audio Device" again --> No sound after
>that.
>
>So I install the Realtek drivers again and the sound works again until
>the next reboot and so on.
>
>Today, however, when I booted it up, the "High Definition Audio
>Device" was back and now I can't even install the Realtek drivers
>anymore. The setup simply says "No driver was supported in this driver
>package." When I try to manually "update driver" in Device Manager,
>Vista tells me that "it decided that optimal drivers are already
>installed".
>
>So first of all, how can I install the Realtek drivers now and second,
>how do I install them persistant?

Realtek has release a new version (1.81) of the Vista 32/64 bit sound
drivers. I am downloading them right now, but it is very slow - many
people are probably getting those

I'll let you know if the new drivers work better.
Skeeve

[SOLVED]Re: Vista 64bit on ASUS A8V board
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:55:12 -0500, Skeeve <nospam@brasch.info> wrote:

>Realtek has release a new version (1.81) of the Vista 32/64 bit sound
>drivers. I am downloading them right now, but it is very slow - many
>people are probably getting those
>
>I'll let you know if the new drivers work better.

Yep, this one seems to work fine :-)
Skeeve

Re: Vista 64bit on ASUS A8V board
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:55:12 -0500, Skeeve <nospam@brasch.info> wrote:

>Realtek has release a new version (1.81) of the Vista 32/64 bit sound
>drivers. I am downloading them right now, but it is very slow - many
>people are probably getting those
>
>I'll let you know if the new drivers work better.

This freaks me out - the new driver has been working just fine, even
across reboots. Today, I turn on the PC and the Realtek driver has
been dropped again. So Vista happily installs the MS driver, tells me
that was successful and the device is ready to be used. Only that it
doesn't work of course and now the setup of the new Realtek driver
fails again with the same error as the previous version.

Vista and drivers seems to be quite a challenge.

Anyone any idea how I can fix this? No sound -> me booting into XP
instead ;-)