Help installing a hard drive

Dave T.

Help installing a hard drive
Hello all,

I have a spare EIDE internal hard drive I would like to install to my
machine, but I don't have a spare bay. Can someone clue me in about USB
HD cases, how do they work and what to do to set one up? Does the drive
just plug in to the case, or does it come with cables? I never knew that
these things existed until recently, so am ignorant of them.
--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Help installing a hard drive
Buy the case.. install the HDD.. attach the supplied power cord.. attach the
supplied USB cable.. connect to the computer.. power up the USB drive..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news:NlOYi.67892$YL5.47832@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a spare EIDE internal hard drive I would like to install to my
> machine, but I don't have a spare bay. Can someone clue me in about USB HD
> cases, how do they work and what to do to set one up? Does the drive just
> plug in to the case, or does it come with cables? I never knew that these
> things existed until recently, so am ignorant of them.
> --
> Dave T.
>
> I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Richard Urban

Re: Help installing a hard drive
An external hard drive case comes in USB or Firewire configuration - or
both.

The drive jumpers *must* be configured as per the instructions that come
with the case. In my case I had to jumper the drive as master. The drive
connects internally just as it would connect in your computer. The case
connection wires are quite short. The case interface converts the IDE drive
to either a USB or Firewire input/output.

External drives on USB 1.1 are very slow. A USB 2.0 or Firewire interface is
preferable. See if your computer has USB 2.0 or Firewire.

You would need the requisite connecting cable between the external drive
case and your computer USB or Firewire port.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Richard Urban wrote:
> An external hard drive case comes in USB or Firewire configuration - or
> both.
>
> The drive jumpers *must* be configured as per the instructions that come
> with the case. In my case I had to jumper the drive as master. The drive
> connects internally just as it would connect in your computer. The case
> connection wires are quite short. The case interface converts the IDE
> drive to either a USB or Firewire input/output.
>
> External drives on USB 1.1 are very slow. A USB 2.0 or Firewire
> interface is preferable. See if your computer has USB 2.0 or Firewire.
>
> You would need the requisite connecting cable between the external drive
> case and your computer USB or Firewire port.

Thanks guys, I figured it would be that simple, just was not familiar
with them.