Disk drive won't read discs

Leah

Disk drive won't read discs
Whenever I insert my Sims2 disk into my computer's E drive a message comes up
that says "Please ensure the disc is in the drive, select OK and restart the
application."
I have tried restarting the computer multiple times as I've had this problem
before with our old computer which was running on XP. I've also made sure
that the disc is clean and it has no scratches.
Any insight on this problem would be appreciated, I've tried about every
piece of advice I can find but nothing has worked yet!
Bob Harris

Re: Disk drive won't read discs
Try the Sims disk (CD I presume?) in some other computer, one that is known
to be able to read CDs.

If it works there, then the CD is probably OK. If not, try cleaning again,
or contact the program vendor to obtain a replacementCD.

Assuming that the CD works in another computer, but not yours, try reading
some other CDs. Is the problem only Sims2, some CDs, many CDs, all CDs. If
many/all CDs, get a new CD reader.

As a test ask whether a freind has a USB 2.0 CD (or DVD) drive. If you are
running XP, it should recognize such a drive and automatically configure it
for reading.

If only some CDs have problems, ask yourself what they have in common?
Consider things like CD-R vs CD-RW vs professionaly made CD.

If only Sims2, it is possible that when the the Sims2 program was installed
it made note of the CD drive letter (e.g., D:\). But, if you made some
changes to the PC, so that the CD drive is now E:\, that program may not be
able to find a CD in D:, sinc ethat is no longer a CD drive. I had such a
problem a few years ago. Many programs have an option to reset the drive
letter of the CD reader. But, some do not. If not, you might consider
uninstalling, then reinstallting, Sims2.

"Leah" <Leah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I insert my Sims2 disk into my computer's E drive a message comes
> up
> that says "Please ensure the disc is in the drive, select OK and restart
> the
> application."
> I have tried restarting the computer multiple times as I've had this
> problem
> before with our old computer which was running on XP. I've also made sure
> that the disc is clean and it has no scratches.
> Any insight on this problem would be appreciated, I've tried about every
> piece of advice I can find but nothing has worked yet!

Leah

Re: Disk drive won't read discs
Thanks so much! I tried the CD in my dad's laptop and it didn't work there
either. I tried another game CD in this computer and it worked, so I presume
it's the CD with the problem.
I tried cleaning the disc and got it clean as possible, but it still didn't
work! I recently learned though, that my mom moved the CD from the computer
to it's case the other day. So apparently during that move the CD was ruined
in some inexplicable way. It looks okay to me, so I'm not sure what exactly
happened.
I don't think that the drive names on this computer were ever changed... and
I'm not sure that's even possible.
Luckily, I have an expansion pack for my Sims game that I can load and then
just use that new CD to play the game. I hope that I can find a way to get a
new copy of the broken CD though. Thanks so much, though! You really saved me
a lot more hassle!
ToryVista

Re: Disk drive won't read discs

mine also does the same thing. I watched a DVD then took it and put it
in my computer to watch again but no disk icon came up when i went to
C:/. Its been happening for awhile and i contacted Gateway support to
see f they could help me. They did but it was not permanent. I opened up
my Device Manager and i have a yellow triangle with a "!" on it. The
person who helped me with Gateway got the yellow triangle with the "!"
to go away and my disk reader worked fine until the next day when i
turned on my computer. I was kind of paying attention while he was
fixing my problem. He had to take over my desktop to fix it. He searched
something like re digit or something and deleted the high and low
something for the disk drive. All the disks work fine everywhere else
but no in my computer. My dads laptop is also having the same problem. I
think he is also running Vista 32bit. Any help is appreciated.

--
ToryVista
Chuck

Re: Disk drive won't read discs
Something like was regedit and the deleted values were high and low filter
values in a registry entry.
If this is a problem that re appears, its likely that an application or
driver install is involved.