not sure where to go with this

service

not sure where to go with this
I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I also get a
black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped responding and
has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver) and a
problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve the issue
without having to do a system recovery and have to install everything.
System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update to that
seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet security.
Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system recovery.
--
no signature
service

RE: not sure where to go with this
Clarifying: The update to the tool bar seemed to resolve the icons issue.

However, before the tool bar update HP walked me through a system restore.
The system restore messed up my antivirus and that company had to help
uninstall and reinstall the antivirus which seems to be working okay. Then
there was a tool bar update and that resolved the tool bar icons reappearing
and disappearing. However, what hasn't been fixed is the display driver igfx
not responding.
--
no signature

"service" wrote:

> I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
> purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I also get a
> black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped responding and
> has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver) and a
> problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve the issue
> without having to do a system recovery and have to install everything.
> System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update to that
> seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet security.
> Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system recovery.
> --
> no signature

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: not sure where to go with this
Reinstall the display driver.
Go to the HPs website and get the latest driver.
Do not assume the computer shipped with the latest driver since that
is often not the case.

If you have Norton or McAfee antivirus installed and they came with
the computer, I suggest you uninstall and replace with something
better such as AVG Free.

Consider returning the computer if HP is not doing what you expect.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"service" <service@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
> purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I
> also get a
> black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped
> responding and
> has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver)
> and a
> problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve
> the issue
> without having to do a system recovery and have to install
> everything.
> System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update
> to that
> seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet
> security.
> Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system
> recovery.
> --
> no signature

service

Re: not sure where to go with this

-- Will the site tell me what driver to reinstall and what specifically
should I look for. In other words, go to HP's drivers and downloads and look
for display driver and that should tell me which one???

When I had to reinstall a new driver for the printer, it was confusing so I
hope this is less confusing. Thanks
no signature

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Reinstall the display driver.
> Go to the HPs website and get the latest driver.
> Do not assume the computer shipped with the latest driver since that
> is often not the case.
>
> If you have Norton or McAfee antivirus installed and they came with
> the computer, I suggest you uninstall and replace with something
> better such as AVG Free.
>
> Consider returning the computer if HP is not doing what you expect.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "service" <service@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
> > purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I
> > also get a
> > black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped
> > responding and
> > has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver)
> > and a
> > problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve
> > the issue
> > without having to do a system recovery and have to install
> > everything.
> > System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update
> > to that
> > seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet
> > security.
> > Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system
> > recovery.
> > --
> > no signature

Steve Thackery

Re: not sure where to go with this
Take it back, take it back!

No way should you tolerate nonsense like this from the vendor.

SteveT
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: not sure where to go with this
Find the appropriate display/video driver here:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...plit%2Fdrivers

Perform a full recovery if that fails.
If you still have problems, return it as the problem is most likely
hardware.

--

> -- Will the site tell me what driver to reinstall and what
> specifically
> should I look for. In other words, go to HP's drivers and downloads
> and look
> for display driver and that should tell me which one???
>
> When I had to reinstall a new driver for the printer, it was
> confusing so I
> hope this is less confusing. Thanks
> no signature

IkidUnot

Re: not sure where to go with this
It always helps to know which video hardware you've got on the PC, so that
you can verify that the right choice is being presented to you. That said, I
believe the HP update should set you up to download the drivers for the
proper hardware, that is, that built in to your PC

"service" wrote:

> -- Will the site tell me what driver to reinstall and what specifically
> should I look for. In other words, go to HP's drivers and downloads and look
> for display driver and that should tell me which one???
>
> When I had to reinstall a new driver for the printer, it was confusing so I
> hope this is less confusing. Thanks
> no signature
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Reinstall the display driver.
> > Go to the HPs website and get the latest driver.
> > Do not assume the computer shipped with the latest driver since that
> > is often not the case.
> >
> > If you have Norton or McAfee antivirus installed and they came with
> > the computer, I suggest you uninstall and replace with something
> > better such as AVG Free.
> >
> > Consider returning the computer if HP is not doing what you expect.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> >

> > "service" <service@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
> > > purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I
> > > also get a
> > > black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped
> > > responding and
> > > has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver)
> > > and a
> > > problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve
> > > the issue
> > > without having to do a system recovery and have to install
> > > everything.
> > > System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update
> > > to that
> > > seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet
> > > security.
> > > Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system
> > > recovery.
> > > --
> > > no signature

service

Re: not sure where to go with this
I'm working on that . By the way, I've filed complaints with Consumer
Affairs, The BBB and will go higher as I need to. The update fixed the tool
bar issues so it seems. However, the display driver not fixed yet. HP
remains silent on this issue. So I may have to go to the Atty General and
the FTC even though they don't file on behalf of individuals. I've also put
it in dispute with the credit card company.

By the way re the other two posts. I looked in hardware and devices but
couldn't find which driver and as for going to the website Judith sent me to,
I already looked and there isn't any driver igfx listed.

I am trying to get HP to honor its extended warranty as they've taken the
easy way out and suggested system recovery. I know that won't do it.

As for the suggestion for antivirus...right now my year of Norton is free.
If I change anti virus companies next year I may go to Trand Micro. I have
never heard of AVG.

--
no signature

samfromhp@gmail.com

On Nov 8, 10:55 am, service <serv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I had to buy a new computer. It came with Vista. Not happy. I also
> purchased a four year extended warranty. HP isn't honoring it. I also get a
> black screen with an error message display driver igfx stopped responding and
> has successfully recovered. This is a hardware issue (the driver) and a
> problem surrounding the operating system . I would like to resolve the issue
> without having to do a system recovery and have to install everything.
> System restore (icons were appearing and diseappearing. An update to that
> seemed to resolve the issue) messed up my antivirus/internet security.
> Anyone know how to resolve the issue without doing a system recovery.
> --
> no signature

If you r getting this message which says " Display driver igfx
stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
1) uninstall the drivers from device manager.
2) Then go to www.hp.com and then click on software and drivers
download and then enter the product
Number of your tower (e.g rn655aa etc...) and then press enter
and then select the operating system of
your computer (ie vista etc..) and then under Driver Graphics
click on Grphics driver update and then install it
on your computer and then restart the pc.
3) if still the issue remains then do System Recovery and even after
the recovery u get the error message than
u need to service the computer since it is hardware issue..
----> for me this worked <-------

----samfromhp@gmail.com (MCDST) <-------

samfromhp@gmail.com