hard drive

tess

hard drive
I interrupted a disc format and now cannot access the disc. It is the D
drive. Windows says it cannot access the disc.
tess

RE: hard drive
I got a 2nd chance at formatting and am formatting now, it takes a very long
time, is that usual?

"tess" wrote:

> I interrupted a disc format and now cannot access the disc. It is the D
> drive. Windows says it cannot access the disc.

Malke

Re: hard drive
tess wrote:
> I got a 2nd chance at formatting and am formatting now, it takes a very long
> time, is that usual?
>
> "tess" wrote:
>
>> I interrupted a disc format and now cannot access the disc. It is the D
>> drive. Windows says it cannot access the disc.

1. Format the drive outside of the operating system with a utility from
the hard drive mftr. Just make sure you format the correct drive!
2. If you have difficulties doing this with the utility, the drive is
probably bad. Test with a diagnostic utility from the drive mftr.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
tess

Re: hard drive

"Malke" wrote:

> tess wrote:
> > I got a 2nd chance at formatting and am formatting now, it takes a very long
> > time, is that usual?
> >
> > "tess" wrote:
> >
> >> I interrupted a disc format and now cannot access the disc. It is the D
> >> drive. Windows says it cannot access the disc.

> 1. Format the drive outside of the operating system with a utility from
> the hard drive mftr. Just make sure you format the correct drive!
> 2. If you have difficulties doing this with the utility, the drive is
> probably bad. Test with a diagnostic utility from the drive mftr.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I tried to find the drive mftr and discovered this:
Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
Location: Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
Device Status: this device is working properly.

I went to a help page of microsoft
I tried to find the file <Sms_def.mof file> doing what was suggested, but
the file does not come up. Where should I look for it?

Somehow I don't think I'll find it, as it seems to be annihilated.
Malke

Re: hard drive
tess wrote:

> I tried to find the drive mftr and discovered this:
> Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
> Location: Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
> Device Status: this device is working properly.
>
> I went to a help page of microsoft
> I tried to find the file <Sms_def.mof file> doing what was suggested, but
> the file does not come up. Where should I look for it?
>
> Somehow I don't think I'll find it, as it seems to be annihilated.

None of the above makes any sense to me.

Either open the case and look at the make/model of the drive, look at
your purchase documents, or download SeaTools Desktop from Seagate to
test the drive. They may have a utility to also format the drive. If you
have a floppy drive, you can also get a Win98 boot disk from
www.bootdisk.com. Or use Acronis Disk Director or the like.

Malke