New hard drive problems

Craig008

New hard drive problems
I have just insalled another hard drive in my girl friends computer only to
find tat when i boot with it connected the machine will not boot at all, the
bios detects it and when vista begins to boot the bluescreen of deat flicks
up real quick and the machine restarts. if i boot from disc to do a start up
repair it does nothing but si there but with all this the machine does boot
just fine if the drive is not connected

i have tryed connecting the drive once its finnished booting (i know i
shouldnt do this) an unsuprisingly the drive is not detected, shall i return
the drive to the shop
--
grapes
Malke

Re: New hard drive problems
Craig008 wrote:
> I have just insalled another hard drive in my girl friends computer only to
> find tat when i boot with it connected the machine will not boot at all, the
> bios detects it and when vista begins to boot the bluescreen of deat flicks
> up real quick and the machine restarts. if i boot from disc to do a start up
> repair it does nothing but si there but with all this the machine does boot
> just fine if the drive is not connected
>
> i have tryed connecting the drive once its finnished booting (i know i
> shouldnt do this) an unsuprisingly the drive is not detected, shall i return
> the drive to the shop

1. IDE or SATA? If IDE, check your jumpering.

2. Computer specs? Perhaps the power supply can't handle the second drive.

3. Set Windows to not automatically reboot on failure (Control
Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and under System
Failure uncheck "Automatically Restart". Now write down the Stop Error
from the blue screen and research it here and/or include it in your next
post along with the rest of the details you left out.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

More information from you will help you get focused help.

How to Post:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Craig008

Re: New hard drive problems
AMD athlon x2 3800, 2gb ram, geforce 8400gs GPU, creative X-Fi sound, asus
m2v-mx mother board, 1 80gb sata hdd, 550w PSU

i am trying to add another 80gb sata HDD
--
grapes

"Malke" wrote:

> Craig008 wrote:
> > I have just insalled another hard drive in my girl friends computer only to
> > find tat when i boot with it connected the machine will not boot at all, the
> > bios detects it and when vista begins to boot the bluescreen of deat flicks
> > up real quick and the machine restarts. if i boot from disc to do a start up
> > repair it does nothing but si there but with all this the machine does boot
> > just fine if the drive is not connected
> >
> > i have tryed connecting the drive once its finnished booting (i know i
> > shouldnt do this) an unsuprisingly the drive is not detected, shall i return
> > the drive to the shop

> 1. IDE or SATA? If IDE, check your jumpering.
>
> 2. Computer specs? Perhaps the power supply can't handle the second drive.
>
> 3. Set Windows to not automatically reboot on failure (Control
> Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and under System
> Failure uncheck "Automatically Restart". Now write down the Stop Error
> from the blue screen and research it here and/or include it in your next
> post along with the rest of the details you left out.
>
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> More information from you will help you get focused help.
>
> How to Post:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375 - How to Ask a Question
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: New hard drive problems
Craig008 wrote:
> AMD athlon x2 3800, 2gb ram, geforce 8400gs GPU, creative X-Fi sound, asus
> m2v-mx mother board, 1 80gb sata hdd, 550w PSU
>
> i am trying to add another 80gb sata HDD

Well, it certainly sounds as though the computer has enough oomph to do
this. It's a very nice one. Does your motherboard have an additional
drive controller setup? If yes, possibly you need to configure the
additional drive there. I did some Googling around and briefly looked on
the Asus forums but didn't find anything that definitively would answer
your question. You might want to take a look through the Asus forum FAQs
yourself and see if there's anything about your issue.

Some other things to check:

1. Are you using the latest BIOS on the motherboard?
2. Did you install the latest motherboard drivers for Vista?
3. Does the drive work with Vista in another system?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Tom Ferguson

Re: New hard drive problems
Be careful that the two drives are connected to the SATA II headers 1 and
2 on the motherboard. Check for any jumpers on the new drive. Assure it
is set for SATA II. As the system boots, enter the BIOS setup and make
sure the boot device is set to be the correct HD, the one that has the OS
on it.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Craig008 wrote:
>> AMD athlon x2 3800, 2gb ram, geforce 8400gs GPU, creative X-Fi sound,
>> asus m2v-mx mother board, 1 80gb sata hdd, 550w PSU
>>
>> i am trying to add another 80gb sata HDD

> Well, it certainly sounds as though the computer has enough oomph to do
> this. It's a very nice one. Does your motherboard have an additional
> drive controller setup? If yes, possibly you need to configure the
> additional drive there. I did some Googling around and briefly looked
> on the Asus forums but didn't find anything that definitively would
> answer your question. You might want to take a look through the Asus
> forum FAQs yourself and see if there's anything about your issue.
>
> Some other things to check:
>
> 1. Are you using the latest BIOS on the motherboard?
> 2. Did you install the latest motherboard drivers for Vista?
> 3. Does the drive work with Vista in another system?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Craig008

Re: New hard drive problems
fixed it, ijust swaped the connections, so the primary is now plaugged in
where the new one was and the old one where the primary one, if that makes
sense.

dunno why i tryed this but it worked and windows is running just fine
--
grapes

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Be careful that the two drives are connected to the SATA II headers 1 and
> 2 on the motherboard. Check for any jumpers on the new drive. Assure it
> is set for SATA II. As the system boots, enter the BIOS setup and make
> sure the boot device is set to be the correct HD, the one that has the OS
> on it.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Craig008 wrote:
> >> AMD athlon x2 3800, 2gb ram, geforce 8400gs GPU, creative X-Fi sound,
> >> asus m2v-mx mother board, 1 80gb sata hdd, 550w PSU
> >>
> >> i am trying to add another 80gb sata HDD

> > Well, it certainly sounds as though the computer has enough oomph to do
> > this. It's a very nice one. Does your motherboard have an additional
> > drive controller setup? If yes, possibly you need to configure the
> > additional drive there. I did some Googling around and briefly looked
> > on the Asus forums but didn't find anything that definitively would
> > answer your question. You might want to take a look through the Asus
> > forum FAQs yourself and see if there's anything about your issue.
> >
> > Some other things to check:
> >
> > 1. Are you using the latest BIOS on the motherboard?
> > 2. Did you install the latest motherboard drivers for Vista?
> > 3. Does the drive work with Vista in another system?
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Tom Ferguson

Re: New hard drive problems
OK. That is a different way to do what I suggested. Rather than entering
the BIOS and changing the boot device to the proper one, you changed the
drive to the connector the BIOS plug-n-play setup set to be the boot
device.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007