Audio device causing unexpected shutdowns.

BUTTABOOK

Audio device causing unexpected shutdowns.
Windows tells me I have a problem with my Realtek High Definition Audio Device.
Everything appears okay?
When I went into the 'Event Finder,' the Fault Bucket for my shutdown was
0x9F_IMAGE_Rtlh86.sys, type 0

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have to disable my
soundcard.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Audio device causing unexpected shutdowns.
If I were you, I would UNINSTALL your present Realtek HD drivers and reinstall
the latest drivers (ver. 1.80) from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs

To completely uninstall the old drivers and avoid conflicts, go to Device
Manager, right click on the Realtek entry and select Uninstall -- IMPORTANT: Be
SURE to CHECK the box in the Uninstall Confirmation box to DELETE the driver
files. Then go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall the
Realtek HD Audio Manager entry. REBOOT. Install the new downloaded drivers and
REBOOT again.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"BUTTABOOK" <BUTTABOOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows tells me I have a problem with my Realtek High Definition Audio
> Device.
> Everything appears okay?
> When I went into the 'Event Finder,' the Fault Bucket for my shutdown was
> 0x9F_IMAGE_Rtlh86.sys, type 0
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have to disable my
> soundcard.

dzomlija

Cal Bear '66;506458 Wrote:
> If I were you, I would UNINSTALL your present Realtek HD drivers and
> reinstall
> the latest drivers (ver. 1.80) from here:
>
> 'Realtek'
> (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs)
>
> To completely uninstall the old drivers and avoid conflicts, go to
> Device Manager, right click on the Realtek entry and select Uninstall --
> IMPORTANT: Be SURE to CHECK the box in the Uninstall Confirmation box to
> DELETE the driver files. Then go to Control Panel > Programs and
> Features and uninstall the Realtek HD Audio Manager entry. REBOOT.
> Install the new downloaded drivers and
> REBOOT again.

*Not a good idea.* The Realtek supplied drivers will cause more
problems than they solve. Go to your motherboard manufacturers (for me
it was ASUS) site and download the Vista certified drivers from there.
Those at least will be confirmed to work with your specific hardware
implementation of the Realtek HD Sound controller.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Cal Bear '66

Re: Audio device causing unexpected shutdowns.
A VERY good idea here.

Have been using the Realtek site drivers since Vista was released in January and
have had NO problems.

And Realtek releases drivers about every two weeks.

Your OPINION is just that -- an O P I N I O N -- and as such has absolutely no
basis in reality or fact.

I am not interested in value judgments.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66;506552 Wrote:
> A VERY good idea here.
>
> Have been using the Realtek site drivers since Vista was released in
> January and have had NO problems.
>
> And Realtek releases drivers about every two weeks.

Just because you have experienced no problems, it doesn't necessarily
mean I haven't. If you even bothered to check my sig, which clearly
states which motherboard I'm using, you'll have noticed that I am also
using RealTek Audio.

If I was to re-install Vista x64, it won't automatically find the
driver for the sound, so I have three choices:

- Use the RealTek-supplied drivers that don't work (they do,
actually, but when any sound is played, it blue-screens the system and
then refuses to work again)
- Use the Realtek driver that are found using Windows Update. These
give the same problems as the RealTek supplied drivers.
- Use the ASUS supplied drivers, which work without any problems.Cal Bear '66;506552 Wrote:
> Your OPINION is just that -- an O P I N I O N -- and as such has
> absolutely no basis in reality or fact.
>
> I am not interested in value judgments.

Fair enough. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I am also not
interseted in value judgements.

My statement in an earlier post that BUTTABOOK sould not use the
RealTek-supplied drivers was based on what I myself experienced with my
hardware. RealTek did not manufacture his motherboard, so how could
RealTek possibly know what other chips/devices are attached? With that
in mind, how could they possibly create a driver for their Sound chip
that is guaranteed to work without problems on all motherboards from all
manufactuers?

It was not a value judgement.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Cal Bear '66

Re: Audio device causing unexpected shutdowns.
Just because you have had problems, do not foolishly ASSume that others have had
the same problems.

I also have an ASUS motherboard with a Realtek audio adapter, and both Vista
Ultimate x86 and Vista x64 automatically detected and installed drivers during
the Vista install.

I have updated the drivers from the Realtek site many, many times with not one
single problem.

You are most definitely in the minority as many other posters have also used the
Realtek site drivers without YOUR problems. Obviously Realtek has created a
driver that works very, very well for the great majority of users.

I think your problem is the snot nose half-wit that is sitting at your keyboard.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!