recovery (d) is full

nonmon42

recovery (d) is full
I receive a message that recover d is full and it tells me to back up files
and delete any unneeded files. When I open drive recover d all that is there
is recycle bin and that is empty When I run a system diagnostic report it
says that there is only 15% free disk space. It says to verify disk space
which I did then back up non critical files and remove from the drive. I also
did that all that is there is recycle bin then it says to perform disk
cleanup which I did. It still gives the same error when I reboot my computer.
--
nonmon42
Cal Bear '66

Re: recovery (d) is full
You D: drive is most likely a small (~ 10 GB) RESTORE partition set up by your
computer manufacturer to enable you to restore your computer to a factory
shipped condition and should be left alone and not used for ANYTHING unless you
made Restore DVDs per the manufacturer's instructions.

To get rid of the low space warnings, go to Control Panel (Classic view) >
Administrative Tools > Computer Management (approve UAC) > click Disk Management
> right click on the D: drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" > click

the Remove button and OK the confirmation box, click OK and close Computer
Management.

This will not harm the data on the D: drive and should you need to access it
again, you can reassign the D: drive letter to it.

The low space warnings should disappear and you will not see the D: drive in
Computer or Windows Explorer.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"nonmon42" <nonmon42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive a message that recover d is full and it tells me to back up files
> and delete any unneeded files. When I open drive recover d all that is there
> is recycle bin and that is empty When I run a system diagnostic report it
> says that there is only 15% free disk space. It says to verify disk space
> which I did then back up non critical files and remove from the drive. I also
> did that all that is there is recycle bin then it says to perform disk
> cleanup which I did. It still gives the same error when I reboot my computer.
> --
> nonmon42

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: recovery (d) is full
One presumes that your machine did not do this from new. When using backup
utilities, they always look for a drive other than C as it is not wise to
back up onto the boot drive. The backup utilities can't recognize that D in
many cases is the restore partition, which should be left exactly as it is,
with nothing added or removed.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"nonmon42" <nonmon42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive a message that recover d is full and it tells me to back up files
> and delete any unneeded files. When I open drive recover d all that is
> there
> is recycle bin and that is empty When I run a system diagnostic report it
> says that there is only 15% free disk space. It says to verify disk space
> which I did then back up non critical files and remove from the drive. I
> also
> did that all that is there is recycle bin then it says to perform disk
> cleanup which I did. It still gives the same error when I reboot my
> computer.
> --
> nonmon42

JerryM

Re: recovery (d) is full
D: drive should be left alone,
Shrink C: drive and create another partition for extra programs.

Jerry

"nonmon42" <nonmon42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive a message that recover d is full and it tells me to back up files
> and delete any unneeded files. When I open drive recover d all that is
> there
> is recycle bin and that is empty When I run a system diagnostic report it
> says that there is only 15% free disk space. It says to verify disk space
> which I did then back up non critical files and remove from the drive. I
> also
> did that all that is there is recycle bin then it says to perform disk
> cleanup which I did. It still gives the same error when I reboot my
> computer.
> --
> nonmon42

KX250

Re: recovery (d) is full

Hello Everyone!

Can anyone tell me if you can delete all of the files in this R/D
drive. Not the hidden file just what is viable

I don't know if I am in the right thread but new to your forum, please
excuse me if I am in the wrong place

--
KX250
MP Descartes

Re: recovery (d) is full
KX250 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Hello Everyone!
>
>Can anyone tell me if you can delete all of the files in this R/D
>drive. Not the hidden file just what is viable
>
>I don't know if I am in the right thread but new to your forum, please
>excuse me if I am in the wrong place

Have you already used that partition to make recovery discs??? If you
didn't get actual discs with your computer and haven't made any, now
would be the time.

THEN you can start deleting stuff (you shouldn't have been using it
for anything anyway).
KX250

Re: recovery (d) is full

No. I've not deleted any file's, but what I did do was remove (1) to my
desktop to free up space. I didn't use the dive. I "think? when I hit
back up files it got jammed up? I'm not sire? Howeever, the drive with
the file's moved has has gone down to 10.5GB with a complete total space
of 14.9GB. no more message.. Your thought's please

--
KX250
Curious

Re: recovery (d) is full
My thoughts are that if you have to do a recovery using what is left in the
recovery partition that it will not work. Just because all files were not
visible does not mean that the visible ones are not required.

"KX250" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> No. I've not deleted any file's, but what I did do was remove (1) to my
> desktop to free up space. I didn't use the dive. I "think? when I hit
> back up files it got jammed up? I'm not sire? Howeever, the drive with
> the file's moved has has gone down to 10.5GB with a complete total space
> of 14.9GB. no more message.. Your thought's please
>

> --
> KX250

KX250

Re: recovery (d) is full

Gotcha, Once I back them up - (flash drive) do I put the file back? and
if so. How do I address the issue of the full ‘D drive? I don’t know
what to take out to release the drive of is full capacity

--
KX250
Snidley W.

Re: recovery (d) is full
KX250 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>No. I've not deleted any file's, but what I did do was remove (1) to my
>desktop to free up space. I didn't use the dive. I "think? when I hit
>back up files it got jammed up? I'm not sire? Howeever, the drive with
>the file's moved has has gone down to 10.5GB with a complete total space
>of 14.9GB. no more message.. Your thought's please

My thoughts are that you should post back when you're sober.