my devices wont 'find driver software"???

bishopsathome

my devices wont 'find driver software"???
It started with my printer, i use the cd to install, but it can't
recognize/install!! now it's also happenning with my USB storage and my new
3rd gen iPod - i get the message that windows could not install driver
software. these are supposed to be plug and play products....
elgamen

RE: my devices wont 'find driver software"???
i have the same problem. i'm not able to read any external storage device. i
have always a message telling that the driver is not found.
i think that the problem is with the usb ports. did you find any solution?
thaks

"bishopsathome" wrote:

> It started with my printer, i use the cd to install, but it can't
> recognize/install!! now it's also happenning with my USB storage and my new
> 3rd gen iPod - i get the message that windows could not install driver
> software. these are supposed to be plug and play products....

jblink

RE: my devices wont 'find driver software"???
Sorry this is not a more helpful post, but I want to add my experiences and
seek a solution to the same problem. I run Vista Home Premium which was was
built new with Vista - i.e. no upgrade. I have tried four USB HDD drives,
several memory sticks, two cameras and most recently an LCD photo frame. In
all cases except one of the HDDs, one of the cameras and one stick, I get the
error that no driver can be found and consult the manufacturer's web site.
In each case the product is either sufficiently generic that there is no
obvious web site, or if there is, no Vista driver is available. Often
drivers exist for Win 98, but I too believed that from ME onwards, most if
not all USB storage devices were plug and play. That has certainly been my
experience with various machines running ME / 2000 / XP. I upgraded the PC
and went to Vista because so much software (e.g. camera and photo frame) was
incompatible with ME. Now I find I still cannot use the damned things
because Vista does not like USB devices.

Since some storage devices are recognised, and I can successfully use the
USB ports for printers / mice / bluetooth etc, I don't believe there is a
hardware issue

Cheers JB

"elgamen" wrote:

> i have the same problem. i'm not able to read any external storage device. i
> have always a message telling that the driver is not found.
> i think that the problem is with the usb ports. did you find any solution?
> thaks
>

> "bishopsathome" wrote:
>
> > It started with my printer, i use the cd to install, but it can't
> > recognize/install!! now it's also happenning with my USB storage and my new
> > 3rd gen iPod - i get the message that windows could not install driver
> > software. these are supposed to be plug and play products....

Sav

RE: my devices wont 'find driver software"???
Thanks for the reply Tony. No, the computer is brand new as is the iPhone. I
did manage to solve the problem though. As I stated, the iPhone was the first
thing I plugged into this new Laptop, with a fresh new copy of iTunes. The
iPhone worked fine, it's the iPods that were not reconized by Vista.

Here is how I solved the problem. I removed the iPod from device mgr (Under
Unknown Devices). Started up iTunes, plugged in the iPod and when Vista asked
for a driver location I pointed it to the c:\Windows folder and it found the
drivers. First was the USB Mass Storage Device driver, then the iPod driver,
then the USBusEmumerator driver and now all is well.

It's a VISTA BUG! Once you use that USB Driver for the phone, anyother Apple
product will require you to manually go into the windows folder and have
Vista find it again and use it for your iPod. I wouldn't be suprised if this
was done intentionally by Microsoft to try to get people to use there MP3
Players instead of Apple.

"elgamen" wrote:

> i have the same problem. i'm not able to read any external storage device. i
> have always a message telling that the driver is not found.
> i think that the problem is with the usb ports. did you find any solution?
> thaks
>

> "bishopsathome" wrote:
>
> > It started with my printer, i use the cd to install, but it can't
> > recognize/install!! now it's also happenning with my USB storage and my new
> > 3rd gen iPod - i get the message that windows could not install driver
> > software. these are supposed to be plug and play products....

dzomlija

Sav;512148 Wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Tony. No, the computer is brand new as is the
> iPhone. I did manage to solve the problem though. As I stated, the
> iPhone was the first thing I plugged into this new Laptop, with a fresh
> new copy of iTunes. The iPhone worked fine, it's the iPods that were not
> reconized by Vista.
>
> Here is how I solved the problem. I removed the iPod from device mgr
> (Under Unknown Devices). Started up iTunes, plugged in the iPod and when
> Vista asked for a driver location I pointed it to the c:\Windows folder
> and it found the drivers. First was the USB Mass Storage Device driver,
> then the iPod driver, then the USBusEmumerator driver and now all is
> well.
>
> It's a VISTA BUG! Once you use that USB Driver for the phone, anyother
> Apple product will require you to manually go into the windows folder
> and have Vista find it again and use it for your iPod. I wouldn't be
> suprised if this was done intentionally by Microsoft to try to get
> people to use there MP3 Players instead of Apple.

I doubt it's a Vista bug, and I doubt that this was intentional on the
part of Microsoft. The problem is more than likely a bug that exists
within the iPhone driver.

It wouldn't be the first time that an Apple product has had a negative
impact on a Windows system (either XP or Vista) because of poorly
written or buggy drivers.

Go to the Apple website and see if they have an update available that
addresses the problem.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
skipjif

RE: my devices wont 'find driver software"???
I have the same problem with the 64 bit version of Vista. Apple knows about
this problem. You can read more about it here..