Green Screen crash

jremmc

Green Screen crash
New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
/ turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
unexpected.

Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
already using anyway, I think).

Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

Thanks,
jremmc
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Green Screen crash
Chat with HP Support:
http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/cu...&cc=us&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jremmc" <jremmc@news.postalias> wrote in message news:B91E0645-A53C-4F00-A48A-82B187C9D389@microsoft.com...
[...]

oh, I did that before I posted. HP will do usual; simply reformat and
reinstall OS, test and then return to me. Even tech I spoke with said that,
and also said there's no guarantee they will find or fix issue since it
happens randomly and it might not happen when at HP. I have to go thru that
process and get laptop back and have it happen again, and return for new
memory, and then/or new motherboard, before HP will replace entirely.

What I would like to know is, has anyone here seen the green screen crash
and if so, what was cause?

Thanks,
jremmc

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Chat with HP Support:
> http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/cu...&cc=us&lang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "jremmc" <jremmc@news.postalias> wrote in message news:B91E0645-A53C-4F00-A48A-82B187C9D389@microsoft.com...
> New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
> last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
> I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
> I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
> it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
> physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
> / turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
> not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
> unexpected.
>
> Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
> software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
> downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
> already using anyway, I think).
>
> Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
> issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
> experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.
>
> Thanks,
> jremmc

Malke

Re: Green Screen crash
jremmc wrote:
> oh, I did that before I posted. HP will do usual; simply reformat and
> reinstall OS, test and then return to me. Even tech I spoke with said that,
> and also said there's no guarantee they will find or fix issue since it
> happens randomly and it might not happen when at HP. I have to go thru that
> process and get laptop back and have it happen again, and return for new
> memory, and then/or new motherboard, before HP will replace entirely.
>
> What I would like to know is, has anyone here seen the green screen crash
> and if so, what was cause?

>> "jremmc" <jremmc@news.postalias> wrote in message news:B91E0645-A53C-4F00-A48A-82B187C9D389@microsoft.com...
>> New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got it
>> last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed as
>> I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting BSOD
>> I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text on
>> it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
>> physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn off
>> / turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista did
>> not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous shutdown
>> unexpected.
>>
>> Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
>> software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
>> downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
>> already using anyway, I think).
>>
>> Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
>> issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone has
>> experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.

That's a very good description of hardware failure. It could be your
laptop is overheating in general, the video chip is bad, and/or the
monitor is bad. In any case, you should return this machine for
repair/replacement since it is new.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Rick Rogers

Re: Green Screen crash
What Malke said.

No new machine should behave that way, it's most likely a hardware failure.
This is not uncommon, as new components sometimes will fail immediately, and
sometimes last for years before there is an issue. Use the warranty and
return it or exchange it for a different system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jremmc" <jremmc@news.postalias> wrote in message
> New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got
> it
> last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed
> as
> I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting
> BSOD
> I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text
> on
> it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
> physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn
> off
> / turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista
> did
> not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous
> shutdown
> unexpected.
>
> Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
> software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
> downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
> already using anyway, I think).
>
> Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
> issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone
> has
> experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.
>
> Thanks,
> jremmc

usasma

Re: Green Screen crash
Most major retailers have a "no lemon" policy to replace your system if it's
a "lemon' (although their rules for replacing it vary). I would suggest
contacting the retailer to see what their conditions are.

- John

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> What Malke said.
>
> No new machine should behave that way, it's most likely a hardware failure.
> This is not uncommon, as new components sometimes will fail immediately, and
> sometimes last for years before there is an issue. Use the warranty and
> return it or exchange it for a different system.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "jremmc" <jremmc@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > New HP 8510p laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Vista Business. Got
> > it
> > last week. Twice a day for last 3 days laptop has unceremoniously crashed
> > as
> > I am working in it (IE 7 and Outlook 2007 open). But instead of getting
> > BSOD
> > I get a green screen (with "sort of" light black vertical lines). No text
> > on
> > it (e.g. no error message like BSOD provides), just ugly green screen. The
> > physical On/Off switch still green, but laptop unresponsive. Have to turn
> > off
> > / turn back on. Boots ok/normal, though gives F8 boot menu noting Vista
> > did
> > not shut down normally. No errors in Event Log other than previous
> > shutdown
> > unexpected.
> >
> > Did BIOS memory test, memory tested ok. Uninstalled ATI driver, driver
> > software, Catalyst Center completely, then reinstalled with latest drivers
> > downloaded from HP (which due to newness of laptop was the drivers I was
> > already using anyway, I think).
> >
> > Has anyone seen this green screen crash before? Sounds like a hardware
> > issue? I'm guessing physical memory or video but just wondering if anyone
> > has
> > experienced same green screen crash and what it turned out to be.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jremmc

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

RE: Green Screen crash
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I think this issue should be cause by failure hardware
device. Please contact HP hardware support to see if they have any
information.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support