Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio functionality in Vista

phillipw

Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio functionality in Vista
I have recently purchased and installed a Creative X-fi Xtreme.
It works well in the XP environment but, within the Vista 32-bit
environment, i get no audio output at all.
All connections are as per instruction sheets. Drivers have been downloaded
and installed as per instructions direct from Creative.
Vista did 'find' the device on installation and that's a plus.
I did swap out my Creative 6600 6.1 speakers for some Logitech X-540 5.1
speakers as they at least appear to be supported by the driver. This has made
no discernible difference.
What am i missing?
phillipw

RE: Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio functionality in Vista
Realised i neglected to include system info.
System is:
Mainboard:ASUS P5WDG2-WS Professional (on board sound disabled in BIOS).
BIOS Version: 0805 SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800@2.93 GHz
RAM: 2Gb Corsair
Sound Card: Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio
Sound Device Details list as:
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10121102&REV_00\5&36E ED791&0&1000E0

I/O Port 0x0000BC00-0x0000BC1F
IRQ Channel IRQ 28
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\p17.sys (5.12.1.2004, 1.08 MB (1,131,520
bytes), 13/06/2007 9:58 AM)
Speakers: Logitech X540 5.1
OS: Windows Vista Business 32-bit

Not sure if there are other details required. Please advise if so.

"phillipw" wrote:

> I have recently purchased and installed a Creative X-fi Xtreme.
> It works well in the XP environment but, within the Vista 32-bit
> environment, i get no audio output at all.
> All connections are as per instruction sheets. Drivers have been downloaded
> and installed as per instructions direct from Creative.
> Vista did 'find' the device on installation and that's a plus.
> I did swap out my Creative 6600 6.1 speakers for some Logitech X-540 5.1
> speakers as they at least appear to be supported by the driver. This has made
> no discernible difference.
> What am i missing?

phillipw

RE: Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio functionality in Vista
Not sure why i have had no replies. I read that i should NOT be a 'me too'
person so i provided my individual info.
Anyway, here's an update for anyone willing to help.
I have, this evening, performed the tasks discussed in an attempt to resolve
the lack of Audio Output from within the Windows Vista Business 32-bit
environment. These tasks proved unsuccesful in resolving the issue.
To give you a step-by-step run down of what i have done here it is:
1. Checked Device Manager for Listing status of Device. - Showed as 'SB X-Fi
Xtreme Audio' rather than 'Audio Processor' (which would have indicated
faulty install) but decided to proceed with re-install process anyway.
2. Navigated to Creative Knowledge Base Solution Id #1712 - Followed
instructions for PCI Sound Blaster Cards to remove device then went to
Uninstall Programs and uninstalled Creative Audio Console.
3. Powered off computer - removed PCI Card - rebooted.
4. Checked Device Manager - Card not listed.
5. Ran 'Regedit' and deleted all 'Creative' references - Ran 'Disk Clean-Up'
(including deleting temp files).
6. Navigated to http://asia.creative.com/support/downloads/ and downloaded
file XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0078.EXE and saved that into the 'Downloads' folder.
7. Powered off computer - re-installed PCI Card - Confirmed speakers were
connected properly and powered on - then rebooted.
8. Cancelled 'New Hardware Found' process.
9. Ran, downloaded and saved file XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0078.EXE from
'Downloads' folder.
10. After install wizard completed, ran following tests:
A: Checked Device Manager - Card Listed as 'SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio' again
- checked 'properties' - device shows as working properly with no conflicts.
B. Checked Control Panel - Creative Audio Console shows - attempted to
test from there - no audible result.
C. Navigated to 'Start Menu' and to 'Audio Console' from there -
attempted to test from there - no audible result.
D. Opened 'Windows Media Player' and attempted to play previously
recorded audio tracks (both MP3 and WMA) - no audible result.
So, i believe i have done as asked and i STILL HAVE NO AUDIO OUTPUT in Vista
Business 32-bit.
What do i do now?

phillipw

RE: Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio functionality in Vista
Maybe this is the wrong forum for this but, as a new user of Microsoft Forums
i am still learning my way around.
I must say i am disappointed at the apparent lack of interest in addressing
my difficulty.
I know i am not the only one to suffer problems in the Vista Audio area but
i saw no one else listing my mainboard/OS/Soundcard combo so felt that
posting it as a 'New Thread' may prove helpful to others.
As there appears to be no way of 'deleting' a post, i guess i have to leave
it here but, as it appears no one gives a darn, i guess that won't matter.