External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"

SkrufiMonki

External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"
I have several external harddrives... and they used to work fine. Then one
day they stopped working...or shall i say ,

They show up on explorer.

I click on the drive I want to open and i get the ERROR "Application not
found".

The only way i can get to my data is by doing a search on it for anything
and then it allows me into the drive...like normal.

If anybody knows how to remidey this problem aka Pain In My Arse! I would
greatly appreciate it.
her_indoors

RE: External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"
Same problem here - have just posted a query, hadn't seen yours - at least
you are not alone!

"SkrufiMonki" wrote:

> I have several external harddrives... and they used to work fine. Then one
> day they stopped working...or shall i say ,
>
> They show up on explorer.
>
> I click on the drive I want to open and i get the ERROR "Application not
> found".
>
> The only way i can get to my data is by doing a search on it for anything
> and then it allows me into the drive...like normal.
>
> If anybody knows how to remidey this problem aka Pain In My Arse! I would
> greatly appreciate it.

her_indoors

RE: External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"
Have found a solution - it works today, but wether it will work tomorrow?
I found my card reader wouldn't be recognised at all, so plugged in a usb
'4-way'. When that was installed, plugged usb stick in - AUTOPLAY!!!!!!
Same thing with the card reader!!!!!!
Still don't understand why it won't work without the hub in place, but never
mind

"her_indoors" wrote:

> Same problem here - have just posted a query, hadn't seen yours - at least
> you are not alone!
>
> "SkrufiMonki" wrote:
>
> > I have several external harddrives... and they used to work fine. Then one
> > day they stopped working...or shall i say ,
> >
> > They show up on explorer.
> >
> > I click on the drive I want to open and i get the ERROR "Application not
> > found".
> >
> > The only way i can get to my data is by doing a search on it for anything
> > and then it allows me into the drive...like normal.
> >
> > If anybody knows how to remidey this problem aka Pain In My Arse! I would
> > greatly appreciate it.

her_indoors

RE: External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"
Even better - now autoplay for external drives in usb port with hub removed -
obviously fixed the problem, although I don't know what the problem was
caused by in the first place. Will definitely make sure, though, that nothing
is in usb port when updates etc are coming down or installing, as think
that's when the problem first started?

"her_indoors" wrote:

> Have found a solution - it works today, but wether it will work tomorrow?
> I found my card reader wouldn't be recognised at all, so plugged in a usb
> '4-way'. When that was installed, plugged usb stick in - AUTOPLAY!!!!!!
> Same thing with the card reader!!!!!!
> Still don't understand why it won't work without the hub in place, but never
> mind
>

> "her_indoors" wrote:
>
> > Same problem here - have just posted a query, hadn't seen yours - at least
> > you are not alone!
> >
> > "SkrufiMonki" wrote:
> >
> > > I have several external harddrives... and they used to work fine. Then one
> > > day they stopped working...or shall i say ,
> > >
> > > They show up on explorer.
> > >
> > > I click on the drive I want to open and i get the ERROR "Application not
> > > found".
> > >
> > > The only way i can get to my data is by doing a search on it for anything
> > > and then it allows me into the drive...like normal.
> > >
> > > If anybody knows how to remidey this problem aka Pain In My Arse! I would
> > > greatly appreciate it.

SkrufiMonki

RE: External USB Harddrive ERROR "Application not found"
Intresting, I thought it would be a driver problem and Im not supprised that
it is. One more to chalk up to Vista. Ill see if the "Hub" trick works.
Thanks for the idea.