USB memory stick needs drivers???

Pat

USB memory stick needs drivers???
My memory stick that Windows XP automatically recognised and installed
drivers for now cannot run under Vista as it is asking for a driver that I
never had. Isnt this a big leap backwards?

BSchnur

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
Pat, are you using some security handling on the USB memory stick?
I've seen that those require drivers that might not play in Vista..

--
Barry Schnur
=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: USB memory stick needs drivers???
Must be your usb stick, i just tried all 3 of mine all worked right away
1 transcend 2 memorex travel drives

"Pat" wrote:

> My memory stick that Windows XP automatically recognised and installed
> drivers for now cannot run under Vista as it is asking for a driver that I
> never had. Isnt this a big leap backwards?

Steve Thackery

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
Yeah, I've tried four and they all worked straight away. (Only one was fast
enough for ReadyBoost, though).

Thack

Basil

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???

> Yeah, I've tried four and they all worked straight away. (Only one was
> fast enough for ReadyBoost, though).
>
> Thack

I've tried 3 all ok, the latest 2Gb cheapy (£7:50) is lightning fast.
Basil

Pat

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
This is so frustrating! I tried inserting the memory stick under Win Xp andd
there was no problem with it. When I looked in Device manager, the driver
installed for this device is USBSTOR.SYS
When I run Vista, it asks for a driver so I have tried pointing it to the
driver in xp\system32\drivers but no joy. There is also a similair driver in
vista\system32\drivers called USBSTO.SYS but Vista still will not recognise
this as a driver for my card. Can any one tell me what driver Vista is using
for their memory cards?
Thanks,
Pat
"Basil" <fawlty.knickers@tesco.net> wrote in message

>> Yeah, I've tried four and they all worked straight away. (Only one was
>> fast enough for ReadyBoost, though).
>>
>> Thack
>>

> I've tried 3 all ok, the latest 2Gb cheapy (£7:50) is lightning fast.
> Basil

HDFatBoy2003

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
My USB Card Readers (mounted in my Dell 3007 monitor) are using WUDFRd.sys
and WpdFs.dll as their drivers.

"Pat" <peejayw2002@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> This is so frustrating! I tried inserting the memory stick under Win Xp
> andd there was no problem with it. When I looked in Device manager, the
> driver installed for this device is USBSTOR.SYS
> When I run Vista, it asks for a driver so I have tried pointing it to the
> driver in xp\system32\drivers but no joy. There is also a similair driver
> in vista\system32\drivers called USBSTO.SYS but Vista still will not
> recognise this as a driver for my card. Can any one tell me what driver
> Vista is using for their memory cards?
> Thanks,
> Pat
> "Basil" <fawlty.knickers@tesco.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> Yeah, I've tried four and they all worked straight away. (Only one was
>>> fast enough for ReadyBoost, though).
>>>
>>> Thack
>>>

>> I've tried 3 all ok, the latest 2Gb cheapy (£7:50) is lightning fast.
>> Basil

Pat

"HDFatBoy2003" <H_D_FatBoy2003@msn.com> wrote in message
> My USB Card Readers (mounted in my Dell 3007 monitor) are using WUDFRd.sys
> and WpdFs.dll as their drivers.

I have that .sys file but not the .dll one, perhaps that is my problem.

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBHb3JlY2tp?=

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
I also have found that WIN/Vista does not recognise all USB devices. Even the
"Add Legacy" does not work.

There seems to be a major change that went in for non-microsoft drivers.
Devices that worked under WIN/XP will not necessarily work under WIN/Vista.
Even this keyborad and mouse (Logitech), thought they work, are not
recognized by Vista.

I am going to try and hack the Vista to get it to work, ortherise I just
have an expensive paperweight.
--
Michael
New York, NY

"Pat" wrote:

> "HDFatBoy2003" <H_D_FatBoy2003@msn.com> wrote in message
> > My USB Card Readers (mounted in my Dell 3007 monitor) are using WUDFRd.sys
> > and WpdFs.dll as their drivers.
> >

> I have that .sys file but not the .dll one, perhaps that is my problem.

Rafal Kubiak

Re: USB memory stick needs drivers???
Uzytkownik "Pat" <peejayw2002@yahoo.com.au> napisal w wiadomosci
> This is so frustrating! I tried inserting the memory stick under Win Xp
> andd there was no problem with it. When I looked in Device manager, the
> driver installed for this device is USBSTOR.SYS
> When I run Vista, it asks for a driver so I have tried pointing it to the
> driver in xp\system32\drivers but no joy. There is also a similair driver
> in vista\system32\drivers called USBSTO.SYS but Vista still will not
> recognise this as a driver for my card. Can any one tell me what driver
> Vista is using for their memory cards?

Hi there - after some batlle I can tell you sth. I've installed Windows XP
driver for my Apacer Pendrive with a peace of work. My Vista needs drivers
for any usb device plugged in - i.e. Kingston pen drive or Bluetooth device
what was not necessary with XP running. Strange? For me of course is very
strange because I didn't have any problems with Windows XP...

Here is the solution for pen drive (you are must to have got acces to
Windows XP installed drive):
- copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.sys placed in WinXP folders (Windows\INF and
Windows\system32\drivers) on the some location on your disk.
- plug in device with Vista running
- when it is not recognized place to location where you saved these two
files above
- when you vista recognize mass storage device you will get information
about inproper INF section, and the second device will be unknown in your
device manager
- try to actualize driver for unknown device and point Vista to find driver
into your c:\windowsvistadir\ [x] with subdirectories

in my case it solution works.
you can find the problems with any point try to ask again.