Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS

junko66tanaka@hotmail.com

Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
Newbie here! Help please!

Case->500 Watt Grid ATX. CPU->AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz,
RAM-> DDR2 667MHz 2Gig. mobo->Asus M2A-VM, HD-Seagate
320 Gb, DVD->Lite-On, video->Nvidia GeForce Radeon 8600GTS 256 Mbytes.
Install program says Installed Graphics Adaptor: None found. Therefore
I can't install the driver! When I try to install anyway it says: The
graphics adaptor installed in the system
is not compatible with the current set of drivers.I did okay with
WinXP pro, but Vista Home Premium has me stumped! Help! I can't play
any games until this works! Wah!

Junko

Carlos

RE: Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
Junko:
What Vista version are you using, 32-bit or 64-bit?
Seems like you are using the set of drivers that does not match the
"bitness" of your system.
For 64-bit use these ones:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.69.html
For 32-bit use these ones:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.69.html

Also, the term "Radeon" within the description of your card is confusing.
Radeon is ATI and you describe your card as NVidia.
Carlos

"junko66tanaka@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Newbie here! Help please!
>
> Case->500 Watt Grid ATX. CPU->AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz,
> RAM-> DDR2 667MHz 2Gig. mobo->Asus M2A-VM, HD-Seagate
> 320 Gb, DVD->Lite-On, video->Nvidia GeForce Radeon 8600GTS 256 Mbytes.
> Install program says Installed Graphics Adaptor: None found. Therefore
> I can't install the driver! When I try to install anyway it says: The
> graphics adaptor installed in the system
> is not compatible with the current set of drivers.I did okay with
> WinXP pro, but Vista Home Premium has me stumped! Help! I can't play
> any games until this works! Wah!
>
> Junko

peter

Re: Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
You have a mobo with onboard ATI video.......you ned to remove those drivers
and uninstall ....Control Panel/programs&features
You need to enter the BIOS and find where to disable the onboard
video..sometimes there is asection sometimes the mere installation of new
card disables
Then install the Nvidea card and let Vista detect
Then install the Vista Nvidea drivers that you can download from the Nvidea
website to match your card
peter
<junko66tanaka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191389619.601073.224090@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> Newbie here! Help please!
>
> Case->500 Watt Grid ATX. CPU->AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz,
> RAM-> DDR2 667MHz 2Gig. mobo->Asus M2A-VM, HD-Seagate
> 320 Gb, DVD->Lite-On, video->Nvidia GeForce Radeon 8600GTS 256 Mbytes.
> Install program says Installed Graphics Adaptor: None found. Therefore
> I can't install the driver! When I try to install anyway it says: The
> graphics adaptor installed in the system
> is not compatible with the current set of drivers.I did okay with
> WinXP pro, but Vista Home Premium has me stumped! Help! I can't play
> any games until this works! Wah!
>
> Junko

junko66tanaka@hotmail.com

Re: Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
Sorry! I bought 32bit Vista Home Premium.
Case->500 Watt Grid ATX. CPU->AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz,
RAM-> DDR2 667MHz 2Gig. mobo->Asus M2A-VM, HD-Seagate
320 Gb, DVD->Lite-On, video->PNY nvidia GeForce 8600GTS 256 Mbytes.

The device manager does not show my video adaptor. It only shows the
sound
section of the mobo. The PNY box says Vista, but the OS can't see my
video card. I spent a great deal on the new OS. Would Win XP handle a
dual
core CPU well enough? I hate to throw more money at this computer
and still not have a new OS. Maybe I can get my money back.

Thank you.

renredo2

RE: Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
I have the same motherboard and a 8600gt and had the same problem, the
motherboard is not recognizeing the video card. you have to flash the bios to
the newest version bios. instructions on how to do this should be in the
manual that came with the motherboard. I used the utility that came on the
support disk, flashed bios, it reset and found the card came up as standard
vga adapter, then just load in your drivers it should work then. A special
thanks to Ching for helping me with this when I had this problem. go to Asus
website and you can find info about the bios version updates for the
motherboard prior to doing anything first. It fixed mine and is running fine
now with windows Vista Home Premiuim x64. hope this helps.

"junko66tanaka@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Newbie here! Help please!
>
> Case->500 Watt Grid ATX. CPU->AMD dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz,
> RAM-> DDR2 667MHz 2Gig. mobo->Asus M2A-VM, HD-Seagate
> 320 Gb, DVD->Lite-On, video->Nvidia GeForce Radeon 8600GTS 256 Mbytes.
> Install program says Installed Graphics Adaptor: None found. Therefore
> I can't install the driver! When I try to install anyway it says: The
> graphics adaptor installed in the system
> is not compatible with the current set of drivers.I did okay with
> WinXP pro, but Vista Home Premium has me stumped! Help! I can't play
> any games until this works! Wah!
>
> Junko

junko66tanaka@hotmail.com

Re: Can't install Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
On Oct 4, 5:51 am, renredo2 <renre...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have the same motherboard and a 8600gt and had the same problem, the
> motherboard is not recognizeing the video card. you have to flash the bios to
> the newest version bios. instructions on how to do this should be in the
> manual that came with the motherboard. I used the utility that came on the
> support disk, flashed bios, it reset and found the card came up as standard
> vga adapter, then just load in your drivers it should work then. A special
> thanks to Ching for helping me with this when I had this problem. go to Asus
> website and you can find info about the bios version updates for the
> motherboard prior to doing anything first. It fixed mine and is running fine
> now with windows Vista Home Premiuim x64. hope this helps.

Thank each of you for your help! I mean it!
My bios says 0302. There are six newer versions including 1301!
I can't believe my mobo was so far out of revision! I will make a
floppy of the flash tool and bios and then flash it? Asus says not to
use EZ-FLASH
if the bios is prior to 0701 and 0302 is very prior to 0701. I don't
know what EZ-Flash is.
That's a windows version and I need to use DOS anyway?
Thanks loads!