Swap file on USB flash drive?

sebbelcher

Swap file on USB flash drive?
I have read a few articles about ReadyBoost not giving much of a performance
gain on systems with large amounts of RAM, I'm not sure of the internal
workings of ReadyBoost but my 2GB system still frequently uses the swap-file.
So, would it create a greater performance increase to install the USB flash
device as a drive and then force windows to use this device and this device
alone for swap-file data?

Obviously the main concern here would be stability if the drive was removed
mid-session, which would obviously be disastrous, but I have a USB2.0 PCI
card which has an internal (as in on the card but inside the case) USB port,
using this I could be as sure of the USB stick staying connected as I could
of my graphics card not falling out.

Any thoughts on this before I give it a go?

On this tack, how long is it going to be before motherboard manufacturers
start either including flash-memory chips on their boards, or provide a
dedicated on-board USB port for flash drives?
JW

Re: Swap file on USB flash drive?
Certainly the more memory a system has the less it may need to use its swap
drive.
Ready Boost gives a real performance gain on my 2 1GB Vista systems.
My Vista laptop has a built in flash card slot which is where my Ready Boost
chip is and since the chip does not stick out I have no worries. My desktop
has USB ports on the back and that is where my USB ready boost flash drive
is.