How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?

=?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?=

How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
I've been looking around the web for a power supply and notice that some of
them have versions v1.3, v2.2, v2.0, v2.01, v2.03 and some just don't have
any at all. How do i find which version to choose from? I have no information
what type, version of power supply since HP support does not know. does the
version number on the power supply really matter? v1.1 v2.2, v2.0, v2.01,
v2.03. HP suppor just mention that i can upgrade mine to 350w but did not say
what version even though i ask for it.

All i know is that i have a ATX style motherboard and it has 20pin and a 12V
connectors, Intel P4 2.8ghz HT and i bought the computer on January 5, 2004

=?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?=

RE: How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
the width and height is ok but the length need to be at least 4. Standard
Power supply will fit but the length will make it harder to put in the
computer.

"GT" wrote:

> I've been looking around the web for a power supply and notice that some of
> them have versions v1.3, v2.2, v2.0, v2.01, v2.03 and some just don't have
> any at all. How do i find which version to choose from? I have no information
> what type, version of power supply since HP support does not know. does the
> version number on the power supply really matter? v1.1 v2.2, v2.0, v2.01,
> v2.03. HP suppor just mention that i can upgrade mine to 350w but did not say
> what version even though i ask for it.
>
> All i know is that i have a ATX style motherboard and it has 20pin and a 12V
> connectors, Intel P4 2.8ghz HT and i bought the computer on January 5, 2004

GTS

Re: How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
The Version 2 ATX PSU's have a 24 pin motherboard connector. If your HP
uses a standard ATX 20 pin supply, go for a Version 1. (A 24 pin unit can
sometimes be used if it has a split connector or can fit, but let's keep it
simple.) The sub version number is not very important. Some manufactures
(Dell in particular) have at times used a non standard pinout. As far as I
know, HP didn't, but you should be able to check this by either checking HP
specs info or googling for your model and power supply. You'll find various
sources selling them and can see if those models are standard ATX units.

"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news79C3B52-26F5-4B49-8797-9EDD66A84579@microsoft.com...
> I've been looking around the web for a power supply and notice that some
> of
> them have versions v1.3, v2.2, v2.0, v2.01, v2.03 and some just don't have
> any at all. How do i find which version to choose from? I have no
> information
> what type, version of power supply since HP support does not know. does
> the
> version number on the power supply really matter? v1.1 v2.2, v2.0, v2.01,
> v2.03. HP suppor just mention that i can upgrade mine to 350w but did not
> say
> what version even though i ask for it.
>
> All i know is that i have a ATX style motherboard and it has 20pin and a
> 12V
> connectors, Intel P4 2.8ghz HT and i bought the computer on January 5,
> 2004

BSchnur

Re: How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
With the HP (and Dell and other majors) workstations, you need to do
some physical homework on the inside of the system to make sure the
power supply in place is a standard size ATX supply.

From what you describe, you will want either a 20+4 or 20 pin primary
power supply. An example of a decent one would be (in my view) the
ThermalTake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W.

--
Barry Schnur
BigJim

Re: How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
a standard size it approx 6" wide 3 1/2 " high 5 1/2" length. If yours is
this size just about any will fit.
As far as the versions go they are backward compatible the latest versions
come with some special connectors for newer video card and sata drives. You
just don't use them. The new ones will have a 24 pin connector which can be
used as a 20 or 24 pin, the extra 4 pins slide on an off. The v2.0 will work
fine and one more thing make sure you check the color codes on the main
board connector to be sure they are in the same position as the old PS.
"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news79C3B52-26F5-4B49-8797-9EDD66A84579@microsoft.com...
> I've been looking around the web for a power supply and notice that some
> of
> them have versions v1.3, v2.2, v2.0, v2.01, v2.03 and some just don't have
> any at all. How do i find which version to choose from? I have no
> information
> what type, version of power supply since HP support does not know. does
> the
> version number on the power supply really matter? v1.1 v2.2, v2.0, v2.01,
> v2.03. HP suppor just mention that i can upgrade mine to 350w but did not
> say
> what version even though i ask for it.
>
> All i know is that i have a ATX style motherboard and it has 20pin and a
> 12V
> connectors, Intel P4 2.8ghz HT and i bought the computer on January 5,
> 2004

GTS

Re: How to find out if power supply is compatible with Computer?
I mostly concur, but some of the version 2s have a solid 24 pin connector
rather than a removable second 4 pin connector. (Those are usually
indicated as 20+4 vs. 24 pin in the specs.) These can often still be used,
but sometimes it may not be possible to seat the plug because of an
obstruction on the motherboard.

news:c7ednan1UvHgjXrYnZ2dnUVZ_u2mnZ2d@comcast.com. ..