Install SATA drive

PapaJack

Install SATA drive
I just ordered an XPS 410 with Vista 32-bit and a single SATA hard drive
from Dell. I wanted two physical hard drives (not RAID) but was told that
they could not install a second drive. The lady told me I could add it
myself. (I can't believe Dell has fallen this far!).

Anyway, I ordered a Seagate SATA drive and will install it when the system
arrives. I have installed IDE drives in the past but this will be my first
experience with SATA. Is the procedure much different from IDE? Are there
any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?

If I decide to install Vista 64-bit later, will I need x64 drivers or will
the SATA drives be automatically recognized?

Sorry if this post sounds dumb but SATA is a new animal to me.

Dustin Harper

Re: Install SATA drive
SATA is nearly the same. Automatically recognized in the BIOS, etc. Just a
dfferent power & interface cable. You may need SATA drivers for Windows,
though.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"PapaJack" <papajack55@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>I just ordered an XPS 410 with Vista 32-bit and a single SATA hard drive
>from Dell. I wanted two physical hard drives (not RAID) but was told that
>they could not install a second drive. The lady told me I could add it
>myself. (I can't believe Dell has fallen this far!).
>

> Anyway, I ordered a Seagate SATA drive and will install it when the system
> arrives. I have installed IDE drives in the past but this will be my first
> experience with SATA. Is the procedure much different from IDE? Are there
> any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?
>

> If I decide to install Vista 64-bit later, will I need x64 drivers or will
> the SATA drives be automatically recognized?
>

> Sorry if this post sounds dumb but SATA is a new animal to me.

PapaJack

Re: Install SATA drive
Thank you. That's what I suspected but wanted to check.

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> SATA is nearly the same. Automatically recognized in the BIOS, etc. Just a
> dfferent power & interface cable. You may need SATA drivers for Windows,
> though.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "PapaJack" <papajack55@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>I just ordered an XPS 410 with Vista 32-bit and a single SATA hard drive
>>from Dell. I wanted two physical hard drives (not RAID) but was told that
>>they could not install a second drive. The lady told me I could add it
>>myself. (I can't believe Dell has fallen this far!).
>>

>> Anyway, I ordered a Seagate SATA drive and will install it when the
>> system arrives. I have installed IDE drives in the past but this will be
>> my first experience with SATA. Is the procedure much different from IDE?
>> Are there any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?
>>

>> If I decide to install Vista 64-bit later, will I need x64 drivers or
>> will the SATA drives be automatically recognized?
>>

>> Sorry if this post sounds dumb but SATA is a new animal to me.

Richard Urban

Re: Install SATA drive
The computer comes with a SATA drive already installed so the drivers will
be there when he opens the box.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> SATA is nearly the same. Automatically recognized in the BIOS, etc. Just a
> dfferent power & interface cable. You may need SATA drivers for Windows,
> though.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "PapaJack" <papajack55@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>I just ordered an XPS 410 with Vista 32-bit and a single SATA hard drive
>>from Dell. I wanted two physical hard drives (not RAID) but was told that
>>they could not install a second drive. The lady told me I could add it
>>myself. (I can't believe Dell has fallen this far!).
>>

>> Anyway, I ordered a Seagate SATA drive and will install it when the
>> system arrives. I have installed IDE drives in the past but this will be
>> my first experience with SATA. Is the procedure much different from IDE?
>> Are there any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?
>>

>> If I decide to install Vista 64-bit later, will I need x64 drivers or
>> will the SATA drives be automatically recognized?
>>

>> Sorry if this post sounds dumb but SATA is a new animal to me.

=?iso-8859-1?B?RGFuaWVsIEP0dOk=?=

Re: Install SATA drive
Installed Seagate 300 gig 2nd SATA drive here.. Just plugged it in, and it
worked.

I reformatted it in Windows, but otherwise, it seems to be recognized. No
special drivers needed.

Dan
Sudbury
Dave B.

Re: Install SATA drive
It's actually much easier, no more jumpers to worry about, no master slave
drives, one drive per cable, just plug in power and data and go.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com