Low Vista Harddrive Score

=?Utf-8?B?Y29sbW8=?=

Low Vista Harddrive Score
I ran Vista Home Premium Upgrade - no problems doing upgrade. Ran Vista
Window Experience and got the following:

Processor:4.1

Memory:5.4

Graphics:5.9

Gaming Graphic:4.7

Primary Hard Drive: 2.4

Cannot understand why my Hard Drive 2.4 score is so low with my Two WD 250GB
8MB Cache Drives in Raid 0. The controllers are:

Intel 8201 FR SATA Raid Controller Driver is Intel 6.2.0.1015 dated 10/6/2006

Intel 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F Driver is Microsoft
6.0.6000.16836 dated 6/21/2006

Any ideas why and how to fix?

JW

Re: Low Vista Harddrive Score
How are the drives connected? If they are connected using the same IDE bus
and with IDE(PATA) to SATA adapters then the pefomormace will be low since
with Raid 0 over the same IDE bus only one drive can be wirtten to or read
from at a time so you get a performace degradation at the benefit of the two
drives acting as a single drive for capacity purposes. Of course with RAID
0 you also have the problem that if you have a hardware failue with one of
the drives you lose all of your data.
"colmo" <colmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ran Vista Home Premium Upgrade - no problems doing upgrade. Ran Vista
> Window Experience and got the following:
>
> Processor:4.1
>
> Memory:5.4
>
> Graphics:5.9
>
> Gaming Graphic:4.7
>
> Primary Hard Drive: 2.4
>
> Cannot understand why my Hard Drive 2.4 score is so low with my Two WD
> 250GB
> 8MB Cache Drives in Raid 0. The controllers are:
>
> Intel 8201 FR SATA Raid Controller Driver is Intel 6.2.0.1015 dated
> 10/6/2006
>
> Intel 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F Driver is Microsoft
> 6.0.6000.16836 dated 6/21/2006
>
> Any ideas why and how to fix?

=?Utf-8?B?Y29sbW8=?=

Re: Low Vista Harddrive Score
How do you verfiy whether they are connected as you mentioned? Physical
inspection or thru device mgr? If it helps I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with
the Intel 925 chipset.

Thanks

"JW" wrote:

> How are the drives connected? If they are connected using the same IDE bus
> and with IDE(PATA) to SATA adapters then the pefomormace will be low since
> with Raid 0 over the same IDE bus only one drive can be wirtten to or read
> from at a time so you get a performace degradation at the benefit of the two
> drives acting as a single drive for capacity purposes. Of course with RAID
> 0 you also have the problem that if you have a hardware failue with one of
> the drives you lose all of your data.
> "colmo" <colmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I ran Vista Home Premium Upgrade - no problems doing upgrade. Ran Vista
> > Window Experience and got the following:
> >
> > Processor:4.1
> >
> > Memory:5.4
> >
> > Graphics:5.9
> >
> > Gaming Graphic:4.7
> >
> > Primary Hard Drive: 2.4
> >
> > Cannot understand why my Hard Drive 2.4 score is so low with my Two WD
> > 250GB
> > 8MB Cache Drives in Raid 0. The controllers are:
> >
> > Intel 8201 FR SATA Raid Controller Driver is Intel 6.2.0.1015 dated
> > 10/6/2006
> >
> > Intel 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F Driver is Microsoft
> > 6.0.6000.16836 dated 6/21/2006
> >
> > Any ideas why and how to fix?

JW

Re: Low Vista Harddrive Score
After rereading your first post I can see that what I was referring to is
not the problem since you have SATA controllers. Regretfully I have no data
to assist in understanding when Raid 0 actually provides a performance
benefit when using disk drives with large caches since the overhead of cache
processing may be more then from the HDD with its cache when reading data.