Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

=?Utf-8?B?bmVpbC50Lg==?=

Mouse settings revert to default on reboot
I have been using Vista Home Premium for about 3 weeks. Is clean installed on
my 2 year old P4 3.4Ghz system, with 2GB RAM and 2x 120 GB SATA HDD.
I have a Logitech MX1000 lazer cordless mouse, I had it about a year on XP
with Microsoft drivers and all worked fine.
Now I have Vista, I used it flawlessly with Vista with the Microsoft drivers
for 2 weeks, then on the weekend I went and installed the Logitech Vista
driver for the mouse (Setpoint). I did not like the way the pointer was hard
to get exactly where it was supposed to be, and did not like the speed, all
trivial stuff! I could not get it the way I was used to with the Microsoft
driver, I shouldn't have messed about with it. I even turned off Setpoint in
Logitechs control panel, letting it use the OS settings. It was not good
still. So I went and turned back the driver for the mouse to Microsofts, I
uninstalled Setpoint.

So now I am happy with the mouse movement again. Although I had to speed up
the pointer movement to my liking as I did when Vista was new. Now when I
reboot the mouse settings always reverts to the default speed, and I have to
press Apply.

How can I reload the original driver for the mouse as it would have been on
day one, it seems to be corrupted now as far as retaining the settings when
turned off?

I don't like to use Restore this week as I had installed Office and several
other things this week (after the mouse was acting up). I couldn't see any
reason that caused this mouse problem other than going back to Microsofts
driver that day, and its done it since then.

Thank you for any help,
Regards,
Neil.
=?Utf-8?B?bWFyay5n?=

RE: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot
I've been using Vista for only a few days on a brand new Dell Inspiron E1705.
When I first started using it, I installed the driver software for a
Logitech wireless laser mouse and keyboard. I like the mouse speed faster
than the default, but it also reverts to the default every time I shut down
and then start up the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

"neil.t." wrote:

> I have been using Vista Home Premium for about 3 weeks. Is clean installed on
> my 2 year old P4 3.4Ghz system, with 2GB RAM and 2x 120 GB SATA HDD.
> I have a Logitech MX1000 lazer cordless mouse, I had it about a year on XP
> with Microsoft drivers and all worked fine.
> Now I have Vista, I used it flawlessly with Vista with the Microsoft drivers
> for 2 weeks, then on the weekend I went and installed the Logitech Vista
> driver for the mouse (Setpoint). I did not like the way the pointer was hard
> to get exactly where it was supposed to be, and did not like the speed, all
> trivial stuff! I could not get it the way I was used to with the Microsoft
> driver, I shouldn't have messed about with it. I even turned off Setpoint in
> Logitechs control panel, letting it use the OS settings. It was not good
> still. So I went and turned back the driver for the mouse to Microsofts, I
> uninstalled Setpoint.
>
> So now I am happy with the mouse movement again. Although I had to speed up
> the pointer movement to my liking as I did when Vista was new. Now when I
> reboot the mouse settings always reverts to the default speed, and I have to
> press Apply.
>
> How can I reload the original driver for the mouse as it would have been on
> day one, it seems to be corrupted now as far as retaining the settings when
> turned off?
>
> I don't like to use Restore this week as I had installed Office and several
> other things this week (after the mouse was acting up). I couldn't see any
> reason that caused this mouse problem other than going back to Microsofts
> driver that day, and its done it since then.
>
> Thank you for any help,
> Regards,
> Neil.

Greg

On Feb 28, 2:00 pm, neil.t. <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have been using Vista Home Premium for about 3 weeks. Is clean installed on
> my 2 year old P4 3.4Ghz system, with 2GB RAM and 2x 120 GB SATA HDD.
> I have a Logitech MX1000 lazer cordlessmouse, I had it about a year on XP
> with Microsoft drivers and all worked fine.
> Now I have Vista, I used it flawlessly with Vista with the Microsoft drivers
> for 2 weeks, then on the weekend I went and installed the Logitech Vista
> driver for themouse(Setpoint). I did not like the way the pointer was hard
> to get exactly where it was supposed to be, and did not like the speed, all
> trivial stuff! I could not get it the way I was used to with the Microsoft
> driver, I shouldn't have messed about with it. I even turned off Setpoint in
> Logitechs control panel, letting it use the OS settings. It was not good
> still. So I went and turned back the driver for themouseto Microsofts, I
> uninstalled Setpoint.
>
> So now I am happy with themousemovement again. Although I had to speed up
> the pointer movement to my liking as I did when Vista was new. Now when I
> reboot themousesettings always reverts to the default speed, and I have to
> press Apply.
>
> How can I reload the original driver for themouseas it would have been on
> day one, it seems to be corrupted now as far as retaining the settings when
> turned off?
>
> I don't like to use Restore this week as I had installed Office and several
> other things this week (after themousewas acting up). I couldn't see any
> reason that caused thismouseproblem other than going back to Microsofts
> driver that day, and its done it since then.
>
> Thank you for any help,
> Regards,
> Neil.

I am having the EXACT same problem. I never pinpointed it to AFTER
uninstall Logitech's SetPoint software, though, but perhaps that's
what caused it. I, like yourself, loaded Windows Vista from scratch on
a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. My Logitech Marble Mouse Trackball
worked with the default drivers, but I downloaded Logitech's SetPoint
software because I wanted some more functionality. I wasn't impressed
with SetPoint, as the movement of the mouse was just crap to be
honest. Same experience as yourself. It was just unworkable. So I
uninstalled SetPoint. The mouse movement went back to being sweet
without SetPoint, but mouse settings revert to their defaults after
EVERY SINGLE RESTART. I use the mouse with my left hand and I set two
things every time I start the computer - "Switch primary and secondary
buttons" and "Enhance pointer precision". Both options turn off on a
restart, thus, I'm forced to change them every time.

If anyone has any solutions, they'd be much appreciated. It's such a
nuisance...

Cheers,
Greg

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyay5n?=

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot
To avoid the resetting problem, you need to uninstall Setpoint and go to the
Startup memu typing "msconfig" after hitting run on the start memu. Even
after uninstalling Setpoint, it still remains in the startup menu. You need
to uncheck them so they don't automatically load on reboot. Once you do
this, your problem should be resolved. I returned the Logitech mouse and
bought one from Microsoft.

"Greg" wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2:00 pm, neil.t. <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have been using Vista Home Premium for about 3 weeks. Is clean installed on
> > my 2 year old P4 3.4Ghz system, with 2GB RAM and 2x 120 GB SATA HDD.
> > I have a Logitech MX1000 lazer cordlessmouse, I had it about a year on XP
> > with Microsoft drivers and all worked fine.
> > Now I have Vista, I used it flawlessly with Vista with the Microsoft drivers
> > for 2 weeks, then on the weekend I went and installed the Logitech Vista
> > driver for themouse(Setpoint). I did not like the way the pointer was hard
> > to get exactly where it was supposed to be, and did not like the speed, all
> > trivial stuff! I could not get it the way I was used to with the Microsoft
> > driver, I shouldn't have messed about with it. I even turned off Setpoint in
> > Logitechs control panel, letting it use the OS settings. It was not good
> > still. So I went and turned back the driver for themouseto Microsofts, I
> > uninstalled Setpoint.
> >
> > So now I am happy with themousemovement again. Although I had to speed up
> > the pointer movement to my liking as I did when Vista was new. Now when I
> > reboot themousesettings always reverts to the default speed, and I have to
> > press Apply.
> >
> > How can I reload the original driver for themouseas it would have been on
> > day one, it seems to be corrupted now as far as retaining the settings when
> > turned off?
> >
> > I don't like to use Restore this week as I had installed Office and several
> > other things this week (after themousewas acting up). I couldn't see any
> > reason that caused thismouseproblem other than going back to Microsofts
> > driver that day, and its done it since then.
> >
> > Thank you for any help,
> > Regards,
> > Neil.

> I am having the EXACT same problem. I never pinpointed it to AFTER
> uninstall Logitech's SetPoint software, though, but perhaps that's
> what caused it. I, like yourself, loaded Windows Vista from scratch on
> a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. My Logitech Marble Mouse Trackball
> worked with the default drivers, but I downloaded Logitech's SetPoint
> software because I wanted some more functionality. I wasn't impressed
> with SetPoint, as the movement of the mouse was just crap to be
> honest. Same experience as yourself. It was just unworkable. So I
> uninstalled SetPoint. The mouse movement went back to being sweet
> without SetPoint, but mouse settings revert to their defaults after
> EVERY SINGLE RESTART. I use the mouse with my left hand and I set two
> things every time I start the computer - "Switch primary and secondary
> buttons" and "Enhance pointer precision". Both options turn off on a
> restart, thus, I'm forced to change them every time.
>
> If anyone has any solutions, they'd be much appreciated. It's such a
> nuisance...
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Greg

On Apr 5, 1:04 am, mark.g <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > what caused it. I, like yourself, loadedWindows Vistafrom scratch on
> > a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. My Logitech MarbleMouseTrackball
> > worked with the default drivers, but I downloaded Logitech's SetPoint
> > software because I wanted some more functionality. I wasn't impressed
> > with SetPoint, as the movement of themousewas just crap to be
> > honest. Same experience as yourself. It was just unworkable. So I
> > uninstalled SetPoint. Themousemovement went back to being sweet
> > without SetPoint, butmousesettings revert to their defaults after
> > EVERY SINGLERESTART. I use themousewith my left hand and I set two
> > things every time I start the computer - "Switch primary and secondary
> > buttons" and "Enhance pointer precision". Both options turn off on a
> >restart, thus, I'm forced to change them every time.

> > If anyone has any solutions, they'd be much appreciated. It's such a

Genius!!

Works a treat. Thanks.

Greg

ezreider

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

I experienced the same problem with Vista while using the Logitech
SetPoint software that came with my new Wave keyboard. Removing
SetPoint.exe from the startup disabled the special keyboard functions
but didn't help with the mouse problem of reverting back to default
settings on startup. I then disabled the KHALJMNPR.exe (which also
installs with SetPoint) from startup and allowed SetPoint.exe to run at
startup. Now all the special keyboard functions work and the mouse
retains its settings on reboot.

--
ezreider
ezreider's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38836

http://forums.techarena.in

ashpkt

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

I was having the same problem which is what led me to this forum. I
figured it out on my own though. The solution is so much easier than
you think. You guys are trying too hard for a work around. If you
have Logitech's Setpoint you have two pointer speed controls. Ignore
the mouse controls through Vista control panel and adjust the mouse
speed thru Setpoint only. This will solve the pointer speed reset
problem.

--
ashpkt
ashpkt's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50691
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=694294

http://forums.techarena.in

eriepatch

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

I have a Microsoft Comfort Optical mouse 3000 and I have the same
problem
with my mouse settings resetting to default every time my computer
restarts.
There is no SetPoint on my computer or in my msconfig startup.
Does anyone know how to get around this if you aren't using a Logitech
mouse?
Thanks
Erie

--
eriepatch
eriepatch's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/eriepatch.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

blueeyedbull

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

I found the answer after goggling for a week. You need to put the
cursor in your cursor file. I did it and now my cursor stays the same
after reboot.

--
blueeyedbull
blueeyedbull's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119611.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...ces/694294.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

blueeyedbull

Re: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

You need to put your cursor in the cursor file.

--
blueeyedbull