ATI All in Blunder

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gSg==?=

ATI All in Blunder
Ati doesnt even support its own hardware. The Ati support group offers no
information about drivers and software release dates. it took almost a year
to get a tv tuner driver for xp pro 64 and i wouldnt count on a vista driver
anytime soon.if you want to watch tv with win vista you will need new
hardware. Hauppage has tv tuners for vista..I wont be buying Ati again thats
for sure and I have been using ati products for many years.

mikeyhsd

Re: ATI All in Blunder
do believe it is microsoft that has decided to not allow the software tuners stuff.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Brian J" <Brian J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54663640-0E46-4962-B978-DA029E5681C5@microsoft.com...
Ati doesnt even support its own hardware. The Ati support group offers no
information about drivers and software release dates. it took almost a year
to get a tv tuner driver for xp pro 64 and i wouldnt count on a vista driver
anytime soon.if you want to watch tv with win vista you will need new
hardware. Hauppage has tv tuners for vista..I wont be buying Ati again thats
for sure and I have been using ati products for many years.

JW

Re: ATI All in Blunder
MS will not approve for Media Center any Analog Tuner card that does not have an onboard encoder chip for their Vista Logo program, however that does not prevent ATI from including a software encoder in the driver since the OS only talks to the driver it has not idea where the encoding is being done.
MS had exactly the same policy for MCE2005 and ATI built a software encoder into their Media Center driver for thier AIW cards.
Since the ATI Vista drivers were built all new from the ground up and since ATI is still selling AIW cards it is expected that they will again provice a Vista Media Center driver with software encoding.
However, I completly agree that since software encoding uses a large amount of CPU power I do not recommend to anyone buying one of the AIW cards.

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:OTsDQesWHHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
do believe it is microsoft that has decided to not allow the software tuners stuff.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Brian J" <Brian J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54663640-0E46-4962-B978-DA029E5681C5@microsoft.com...
Ati doesnt even support its own hardware. The Ati support group offers no
information about drivers and software release dates. it took almost a year
to get a tv tuner driver for xp pro 64 and i wouldnt count on a vista driver
anytime soon.if you want to watch tv with win vista you will need new
hardware. Hauppage has tv tuners for vista..I wont be buying Ati again thats
for sure and I have been using ati products for many years.

Hertz_Donut

Re: ATI All in Blunder

"Brian J" <Brian J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ati doesnt even support its own hardware. The Ati support group offers no
> information about drivers and software release dates. it took almost a
> year
> to get a tv tuner driver for xp pro 64 and i wouldnt count on a vista
> driver
> anytime soon.if you want to watch tv with win vista you will need new
> hardware. Hauppage has tv tuners for vista..I wont be buying Ati again
> thats
> for sure and I have been using ati products for many years.

Since it was Microsoft's Vista certification program that does not allow ATI
to write the necessary drivers for their non-hardware encoding tuners, it is
not ATI's fault.

Honu