windows vista and dvd drives

bop123@prodigy.net

windows vista and dvd drives
I went through an extremely frustrating problem with window vista. It
seems that when you first losd it on any computer the dvd drives work
fine but after you down load the updates the drivers gets corrupted
showing code 39. The only fis that I have found so far is to reload
vista turnig of automatic updates. It took me a number of reboots of
the OS to find this out. I talked to someone in Microsoft but they
just blew me off. They did not seem to care that all functions worked
until I downloaded the updates then the dvd drivers became corrupted
on my new and old computer. You have to reload vista and do not update
until the driver problem is fixed and who knows how long that is going
to be. Microsoft appears to have a big problem brewing in this area.

Dave B.

Re: windows vista and dvd drives
Haven't had that issue on any of the 8 machines I've dealt with, not that it
helps you.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
<bop123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:1172607607.420119.263640@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
>I went through an extremely frustrating problem with window vista. It
> seems that when you first losd it on any computer the dvd drives work
> fine but after you down load the updates the drivers gets corrupted
> showing code 39. The only fis that I have found so far is to reload
> vista turnig of automatic updates. It took me a number of reboots of
> the OS to find this out. I talked to someone in Microsoft but they
> just blew me off. They did not seem to care that all functions worked
> until I downloaded the updates then the dvd drivers became corrupted
> on my new and old computer. You have to reload vista and do not update
> until the driver problem is fixed and who knows how long that is going
> to be. Microsoft appears to have a big problem brewing in this area.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: windows vista and dvd drives
You don't have to reload Vista at all.. what you do is search in Google or
whatever search engine you like best for 'missing cd/dvd drives', and you
get to a page just like this one..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

<bop123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:1172607607.420119.263640@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
>I went through an extremely frustrating problem with window vista. It
> seems that when you first losd it on any computer the dvd drives work
> fine but after you down load the updates the drivers gets corrupted
> showing code 39. The only fis that I have found so far is to reload
> vista turnig of automatic updates. It took me a number of reboots of
> the OS to find this out. I talked to someone in Microsoft but they
> just blew me off. They did not seem to care that all functions worked
> until I downloaded the updates then the dvd drivers became corrupted
> on my new and old computer. You have to reload vista and do not update
> until the driver problem is fixed and who knows how long that is going
> to be. Microsoft appears to have a big problem brewing in this area.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Daniel Lapointe

Re: windows vista and dvd drives
Just downlaod this registry fix:

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

apply it and reboot, voila dvd drives are back.

Dan