DVD drive not working properly

=?Utf-8?B?cmVkdWN0YW50?=

DVD drive not working properly
It won't install anything. I can stick in a disc and I can view the contents
of a disc, but it won't install anything from the disc. I also wasn't able to
install Vista from this drive. It is an HP 640b and no Vista drivers will
ever be available. Should I buy a new drive?
Daniel F Valot

Re: DVD drive not working properly
Same problem here with Pioneer DVD+RW 106. Setup is OK but when you want to
read a DVD or CD most of them hang the explorer . But some are read OK. I
suppose this is a DVD type problem. Is this an UDF compatibility problem or
an error retry problem ?
This is with Vista RC1 version

--
Daniel F Valot
http://dvalot.free.fr
"reductant" <reductant@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: BAC6A7E3-840C-4BA9-9F55-2902306E73ED@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZWJleg==?=

Re: DVD drive not working properly
I have the same problem... cannot copy files to desktop either... tells me
the media has changed error blah blah blah! changed the drive to a LG
GSA-H42N now that wont even read the disks... hangs when browsing. WHY!?
Rock

Re: DVD drive not working properly
"davebez" <davebez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I have the same problem... cannot copy files to desktop either... tells me
> the media has changed error blah blah blah! changed the drive to a LG
> GSA-H42N now that wont even read the disks... hangs when browsing. WHY!?

Same problem as what? You have replied to an old message but not quoted any
of it so your post has no context. Many people use a newsreader to access
what is actually a Usenet newsgroup, not a chat forum, and only download the
most recent messages so the other messages in a thread might not be visible.
That's why it's standard protocol to quote at least a portion of the message
to which you reply, and create a new thread for your issue rather than
tacking on to an old one, and supply some relevant details. Good luck.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZWJleg==?=

Re: DVD drive not working properly
Ok, i have included a quote this time, but lets be real its not hard to read
the previous messages in the thread and work out what im talking about. I
mean, if you want things to be layed out for you and be rediculously simple
you would have bought a Mac wouldnt you. Seeing as your on a windows forum i
assume you have some form of intelligence.

Anyway! problem was fixed using a 80pin ide cable rather than a 40 pin
cable. So, works a treat. Nothing to do with vista really...... but good to
know.

hasta la vista!

"Rock" wrote:

> "davebez" <davebez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >I have the same problem... cannot copy files to desktop either... tells me
> > the media has changed error blah blah blah! changed the drive to a LG
> > GSA-H42N now that wont even read the disks... hangs when browsing. WHY!?

> Same problem as what? You have replied to an old message but not quoted any
> of it so your post has no context. Many people use a newsreader to access
> what is actually a Usenet newsgroup, not a chat forum, and only download the
> most recent messages so the other messages in a thread might not be visible.
> That's why it's standard protocol to quote at least a portion of the message
> to which you reply, and create a new thread for your issue rather than
> tacking on to an old one, and supply some relevant details. Good luck.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: DVD drive not working properly
"davebez" <davebez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Ok, i have included a quote this time, but lets be real its not hard to
> read
> the previous messages in the thread and work out what im talking about. I
> mean, if you want things to be layed out for you and be rediculously
> simple
> you would have bought a Mac wouldnt you. Seeing as your on a windows forum
> assume you have some form of intelligence.
>
> Anyway! problem was fixed using a 80pin ide cable rather than a 40 pin
> cable. So, works a treat. Nothing to do with vista really...... but good
> know.
>
> hasta la vista!

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "davebez" <davebez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >I have the same problem... cannot copy files to desktop either... tells
>> >me
>> > the media has changed error blah blah blah! changed the drive to a LG
>> > GSA-H42N now that wont even read the disks... hangs when browsing.
>> > WHY!?

>> Same problem as what? You have replied to an old message but not quoted
>> any
>> of it so your post has no context. Many people use a newsreader to
>> access
>> what is actually a Usenet newsgroup, not a chat forum, and only download
>> the
>> most recent messages so the other messages in a thread might not be
>> visible.
>> That's why it's standard protocol to quote at least a portion of the
>> message
>> to which you reply, and create a new thread for your issue rather than
>> tacking on to an old one, and supply some relevant details. Good luck.

You don't understand. Folks who use a newsreader, and there are many -
anyone knowledgeable in newsgroup use does so - don't have the old posts.
They only download the latest posts. Hence the establishment, a long time
ago, of the standard protocol to quote the post to which you refer. This is
not a chat room or a forum, it's actually an Usenet newsgroup. If it was a
forum where all posts are visible to everyone, then it wouldn't be an issue,
but that is not the case.

The problem here is that you are using the awful web interface to what is
actually a Usenet newsgroup. Do yourself a favor and use a newsreader to
access newsgroups. Vista comes with Windows Mail which is already
configured for this under the Microsoft Communities choice.

On a final note, I'm glad you got your issue solved, and thanks for posting
back what worked for you. Have fun with Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]