Migrating to a new larger hard drive in Vista

Doug in Maryland

Migrating to a new larger hard drive in Vista
Hello all, I have installed a new 500GB Hard Drive on my PC and need to
transfer Vista and all of my files and settings. The new HD is currently
installed and formatted as the D drive, once I clone my C drive, I will swap
them and use the old C drive for back-ups.

Anyways, I need a program that will transfer the OS and all settings and
make the D: drive bootable as the new C drive.

Many Thanks
Doug
f/fgeorge

Re: Migrating to a new larger hard drive in Vista
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:06:04 -0700, Doug in Maryland
<DouginMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello all, I have installed a new 500GB Hard Drive on my PC and need to
>transfer Vista and all of my files and settings. The new HD is currently
>installed and formatted as the D drive, once I clone my C drive, I will swap
>them and use the old C drive for back-ups.
>
>Anyways, I need a program that will transfer the OS and all settings and
>make the D: drive bootable as the new C drive.
>
>Many Thanks
>Doug

Good luck, but the harddrive maker either has one on their website or
shipped a cd with all the stuff in the box.
Rock

Re: Migrating to a new larger hard drive in Vista
"Doug in Maryland" <DouginMaryland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hello all, I have installed a new 500GB Hard Drive on my PC and need to
> transfer Vista and all of my files and settings. The new HD is currently
> installed and formatted as the D drive, once I clone my C drive, I will
> swap
> them and use the old C drive for back-ups.
>
> Anyways, I need a program that will transfer the OS and all settings and
> make the D: drive bootable as the new C drive.

Acronis True Image will clone it fine. Make sure you have the latest
version 10 and the latest build. This program is good for drive imaging
backups as well. In lieu of that the drive should have come with a drive
copy utility or you can download that from the drive manufacture's web site.
Make sure after cloning you remove the old drive and have only the new drive
in the system when it boots the first time.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]