Memory Upgrade

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

Memory Upgrade
I upgraded from 2GB of memory to 4GB of memory in my Vista x64 gaming rig and
experienced a bunch of problems.

First, my machine only recognized 3GB of the installed 4GB. A friend told
me to fix this I just had to enable mapping around the hardware memory hole.
And that worked as far as the machine would recognize that 4GB were
installed. Although right away there were a bunch of other problems. It
caused popping in my speakers and didn't recognize a lot of my hardware such
as my microphone, printer, and sound drivers. Also the index score for
memory went from 5.2 with my 2GB to a 4.0!

So I disabled the mapping and let the machine only recognize 3GB, the driver
and speaker problems went away but the index score for my memory still only
gave me a 5.0, which is lower than the score I got with 2GB of the same
memory.

I would like to find a way for my system to recognize all 4GB of the memory
installed of course without experiencing driver and speaker problems and also
have an index score that recognizes the upgrade. Any help would be
appreciated.
Paul Smith

Re: Memory Upgrade
Does the BIOS report 4GB?

You'll probably get a lower score with more memory, because on most
motherboards it has to run the memory at a slower speed to be able to handle
more of it.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded from 2GB of memory to 4GB of memory in my Vista x64 gaming rig
>and
> experienced a bunch of problems.
>
> First, my machine only recognized 3GB of the installed 4GB. A friend told
> me to fix this I just had to enable mapping around the hardware memory
> hole.
> And that worked as far as the machine would recognize that 4GB were
> installed. Although right away there were a bunch of other problems. It
> caused popping in my speakers and didn't recognize a lot of my hardware
> such
> as my microphone, printer, and sound drivers. Also the index score for
> memory went from 5.2 with my 2GB to a 4.0!
>
> So I disabled the mapping and let the machine only recognize 3GB, the
> driver
> and speaker problems went away but the index score for my memory still
> only
> gave me a 5.0, which is lower than the score I got with 2GB of the same
> memory.
>
> I would like to find a way for my system to recognize all 4GB of the
> memory
> installed of course without experiencing driver and speaker problems and
> also
> have an index score that recognizes the upgrade. Any help would be
> appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

Re: Memory Upgrade
The BIOS does report 4GB installed.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> Does the BIOS report 4GB?
>
> You'll probably get a lower score with more memory, because on most
> motherboards it has to run the memory at a slower speed to be able to handle
> more of it.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
>

> "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgraded from 2GB of memory to 4GB of memory in my Vista x64 gaming rig
> >and
> > experienced a bunch of problems.
> >
> > First, my machine only recognized 3GB of the installed 4GB. A friend told
> > me to fix this I just had to enable mapping around the hardware memory
> > hole.
> > And that worked as far as the machine would recognize that 4GB were
> > installed. Although right away there were a bunch of other problems. It
> > caused popping in my speakers and didn't recognize a lot of my hardware
> > such
> > as my microphone, printer, and sound drivers. Also the index score for
> > memory went from 5.2 with my 2GB to a 4.0!
> >
> > So I disabled the mapping and let the machine only recognize 3GB, the
> > driver
> > and speaker problems went away but the index score for my memory still
> > only
> > gave me a 5.0, which is lower than the score I got with 2GB of the same
> > memory.
> >
> > I would like to find a way for my system to recognize all 4GB of the
> > memory
> > installed of course without experiencing driver and speaker problems and
> > also
> > have an index score that recognizes the upgrade. Any help would be
> > appreciated.

Peter

Re: Memory Upgrade
Drivers can get screwed up sometimes with the larger memory. At least in
x64 you can utilise and see all of the 4gb. In x32 (as it is here) 4gb
shows as 2.9gb.

--
Peter
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded from 2GB of memory to 4GB of memory in my Vista x64 gaming rig
>and
> experienced a bunch of problems.
>
> First, my machine only recognized 3GB of the installed 4GB. A friend told
> me to fix this I just had to enable mapping around the hardware memory
> hole.
> And that worked as far as the machine would recognize that 4GB were
> installed. Although right away there were a bunch of other problems. It
> caused popping in my speakers and didn't recognize a lot of my hardware
> such
> as my microphone, printer, and sound drivers. Also the index score for
> memory went from 5.2 with my 2GB to a 4.0!
>
> So I disabled the mapping and let the machine only recognize 3GB, the
> driver
> and speaker problems went away but the index score for my memory still
> only
> gave me a 5.0, which is lower than the score I got with 2GB of the same
> memory.
>
> I would like to find a way for my system to recognize all 4GB of the
> memory
> installed of course without experiencing driver and speaker problems and
> also
> have an index score that recognizes the upgrade. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Tom Lake

Re: Memory Upgrade

"Peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Drivers can get screwed up sometimes with the larger memory. At least
> in x64 you can utilise and see all of the 4gb. In x32 (as it is here) 4gb
> shows as 2.9gb.

It also depends on the size of the VGA Aperture and how many PCI slots you
have.
(Each PCI slot is mapped to memory locations)

My Intel D865PERL has 4 GB and shows 3.5 GB in 32-bit XP and Vista.

Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?=

Re: Memory Upgrade
I also noticed just now even with the memory mapping turned off (which only
shows me 3GB) I'm still having weird problems with the new memory. It's not
recognizing some USB devices (like my microphone and printer) and it says
that the "Superfetch" and "ReadyBoost" programs stopped working and had to
close. Any ideas?

"Tom Lake" wrote:

> "Peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Drivers can get screwed up sometimes with the larger memory. At least
> > in x64 you can utilise and see all of the 4gb. In x32 (as it is here) 4gb
> > shows as 2.9gb.

> It also depends on the size of the VGA Aperture and how many PCI slots you
> have.
> (Each PCI slot is mapped to memory locations)
>
> My Intel D865PERL has 4 GB and shows 3.5 GB in 32-bit XP and Vista.
>
> Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

Re: Memory Upgrade
Hi Tony...
I also upgraded my pc to 4gb from 2gb and it showed only 3gb.
There is a patch from Microsoft that cures this....KB929777....mine now
reads 4gb.

Hope this helps....

From another Tony.

"Tony" wrote:

> I also noticed just now even with the memory mapping turned off (which only
> shows me 3GB) I'm still having weird problems with the new memory. It's not
> recognizing some USB devices (like my microphone and printer) and it says
> that the "Superfetch" and "ReadyBoost" programs stopped working and had to
> close. Any ideas?
>
> "Tom Lake" wrote:
>

> > "Peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Drivers can get screwed up sometimes with the larger memory. At least
> > > in x64 you can utilise and see all of the 4gb. In x32 (as it is here) 4gb
> > > shows as 2.9gb.

> > It also depends on the size of the VGA Aperture and how many PCI slots you
> > have.
> > (Each PCI slot is mapped to memory locations)
> >
> > My Intel D865PERL has 4 GB and shows 3.5 GB in 32-bit XP and Vista.
> >
> > Tom Lake

Peter

Re: Memory Upgrade
Are you sure it's that one? Quote: Install this update to address an issue
in storport.sys which results in a system crash when certain hardware
configurations exist. After you install this item, you may have to restart
your computer.

--
"Tony A" <Tony A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tony...
> I also upgraded my pc to 4gb from 2gb and it showed only 3gb.
> There is a patch from Microsoft that cures this....KB929777....mine now
> reads 4gb.
>
> Hope this helps....
>
> From another Tony.
>

> "Tony" wrote:
>
>> I also noticed just now even with the memory mapping turned off (which
>> only
>> shows me 3GB) I'm still having weird problems with the new memory. It's
>> not
>> recognizing some USB devices (like my microphone and printer) and it says
>> that the "Superfetch" and "ReadyBoost" programs stopped working and had
>> close. Any ideas?
>>
>> "Tom Lake" wrote:
>>

>> > "Peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > It also depends on the size of the VGA Aperture and how many PCI slots
>> > you
>> > have.
>> > (Each PCI slot is mapped to memory locations)
>> >
>> > My Intel D865PERL has 4 GB and shows 3.5 GB in 32-bit XP and Vista.
>> >
>> > Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

Re: Memory Upgrade
I used this update on my Vista Ultimate 64bit....When I installed my extra
2gb it only showed 3gb. I then noticed that the Windows Update icon had
appeared on the task bar and the Update was KB929777 for PCs that only show
3gb when 4gb is installed. After installation and a restart my PC shows a
true 4gb in the Welcome Centre.
My PC is: AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, Asus M2N32SLI, 4gb DDR2,
Nvidia 7950 GX2, 750gb Hard Drive partitioned XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 64bit

"Peter" wrote:

> Are you sure it's that one? Quote: Install this update to address an issue
> in storport.sys which results in a system crash when certain hardware
> configurations exist. After you install this item, you may have to restart
> your computer.
>

> --
> Peter
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 700gb HDD, 4.0gb DDR
> Soundblaster Audigy 4/ATI Radeon 9550 SE/Asus 7135 TV-FM
> "Tony A" <Tony A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Tony...
> > I also upgraded my pc to 4gb from 2gb and it showed only 3gb.
> > There is a patch from Microsoft that cures this....KB929777....mine now
> > reads 4gb.
> >
> > Hope this helps....
> >
> > From another Tony.
> >

> > "Tony" wrote:
> >
> >> I also noticed just now even with the memory mapping turned off (which
> >> only
> >> shows me 3GB) I'm still having weird problems with the new memory. It's
> >> not
> >> recognizing some USB devices (like my microphone and printer) and it says
> >> that the "Superfetch" and "ReadyBoost" programs stopped working and had
> >> close. Any ideas?

Peter

Re: Memory Upgrade
I'm 32-bit doomed to see only 2.9gb out of 4.