Hard drive keeps showing less space

=?Utf-8?B?Y29tcGJveQ==?=

Hard drive keeps showing less space
I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free space, last
night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free space. I
haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the iternet
much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!
Lilo Lentz

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
Sounds like maybe you have intruders on your machine.
Do a scan for - well everything - and don't be logged on online while you do
it.

Be sure to have firewall, antivirus etc installed before you get online
again...

"compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
> 250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free space,
> last
> night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free space.
> haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the
> iternet
> much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!

Richard G. Harper

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points, caching
files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file ... I
would not get too worried about it.

"compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
> 250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free space,
> last
> night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free space.
> haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the
> iternet
> much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?Y29tcGJveQ==?=

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton Antivirus
2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points, caching
> files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file ... I
> would not get too worried about it.

> "compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
> > 250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free space,
> > last
> > night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free space.
> > haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the
> > iternet
> > much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!

Rocco Moe

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
R.G. Harper is right. But you won't run out of space. There's a limit to how
much space shadow copies, termporary Internet files, and all the rest of the
stuff that can use. When you hit that limit, old stuff is automatically
deleted to make room for newer stuff. It'll never be a significant portion
of your available space.

--

> Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton
> Antivirus
> 2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
> there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points,
>> caching
>> files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file
>> ... I
>> would not get too worried about it.

>> "compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
>> > 250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free
>> > space,
>> > last
>> > night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free
>> > space.
>> > haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the
>> > iternet
>> > much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!

Richard G. Harper

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
You'll see a chunk vanish in the first week or so and then things will slow
down appreciably. Restore points and other things will continue to eat up
small amounts of space but the biggest gulp comes in the earliest days.

"compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton
> Antivirus
> 2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
> there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points,
>> caching
>> files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file
>> ... I
>> would not get too worried about it.

>> "compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a brand new hp pavilion with vista home premium, It has a samsung
>> > 250GB harddrive. Yesterday morning it said that I had 183GB free
>> > space,
>> > last
>> > night it said I had 175GB Free space, and today it is at 170GB free
>> > space.
>> > haven't installed anything, downloaded anything, and havent used the
>> > iternet
>> > much. Any ideas as to why this is?...Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?Y29tcGJveQ==?=

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
Thank you! You answered my question

"Rocco Moe" wrote:

> R.G. Harper is right. But you won't run out of space. There's a limit to how
> much space shadow copies, termporary Internet files, and all the rest of the
> stuff that can use. When you hit that limit, old stuff is automatically
> deleted to make room for newer stuff. It'll never be a significant portion
> of your available space.
>

> --
>
> "compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton
> > Antivirus
> > 2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
> > there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points,
> >> caching
> >> files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file
> >> ... I
> >> would not get too worried about it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

PATCHWORK

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
Small amounts?
I have 100gb of space eaten up, and you say ALL of that is recovery points
and temporary files? sounds weird to me.

I need help on how to solve this, please.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> You'll see a chunk vanish in the first week or so and then things will slow
> down appreciably. Restore points and other things will continue to eat up
> small amounts of space but the biggest gulp comes in the earliest days.

> "compboy" <compboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick responses. I have have a fire wall and Norton
> > Antivirus
> > 2007. So my comp is supposedly clean. Will my hd run out of space? Or is
> > there a limit to how much it will loose?..Thanks again.
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> This is pretty much normal. The system is creating restore points,
> >> caching
> >> files, expanding the pagefile and probably creating a hibernation file
> >> ... I
> >> would not get too worried about it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dave

Re: Hard drive keeps showing less space
Vista, by default, uses 15% of the drive space for restore points.
To see how much is allocated & used...

1. On the Start menu, click "All Programs".
2. Click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator" from the
shortcut menu.
4. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click "Continue".
5. Now run "VSSADMIN list shadowstorage" (without the quotes)

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview