MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?

Harry Krause

MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Can't seem to get screen saver working with MS Wireless Keyboard
installed...

Anyone else having the same problem?
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Harry

Windows update was carrying an optional update that fived the problem.. have
you been there yet? Incidentally, when you fire up Windows Update, it alway
tells you everything is ok.. you have to click on the 'check for updates
now'

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Harry Krause

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
> Harry
>
> Windows update was carrying an optional update that fived the problem..
> have you been there yet? Incidentally, when you fire up Windows Update,
> it alway tells you everything is ok.. you have to click on the 'check
> for updates now'
>

> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Can't seem to get screen saver working with MS Wireless Keyboard
>> installed...
>>
>> Anyone else having the same problem?

Do you happen to know which update this was, or how to ID it?
I can't find it in my list of installed updates or on the update site.

Thanks.
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Harry

Details of the update as requested..

Microsoft - Other Hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter

Installation date: ?06/?02/?2007 10:57

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Microsoft Other Hardware software update released in January, 2007

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20031770

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Harry Krause

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?

Thanks. I cannot find this update on UPDATES or on my computer. Danged
weird.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
> Harry
>
> Details of the update as requested..
>
> Microsoft - Other Hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter
>
> Installation date: ?06/?02/?2007 10:57
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> Microsoft Other Hardware software update released in January, 2007
>
> More information:
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20031770
>
> More information:
> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
>

> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
>>> Harry
>>>
>>> Windows update was carrying an optional update that fived the
>>> problem.. have you been there yet? Incidentally, when you fire up
>>> Windows Update, it alway tells you everything is ok.. you have to
>>> click on the 'check for updates now'
>>>

>>> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Do you happen to know which update this was, or how to ID it?
>> I can't find it in my list of installed updates or on the update site.
>>
>> Thanks.

Harry Krause

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Is there a way to find this update and download it manually?

Harry Krause wrote:

> Thanks. I cannot find this update on UPDATES or on my computer. Danged
> weird.
>

> Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
>> Harry
>>
>> Details of the update as requested..
>>
>> Microsoft - Other Hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter
>>
>> Installation date: ?06/?02/?2007 10:57
>>
>> Installation status: Successful
>>
>> Update type: Optional
>>
>> Microsoft Other Hardware software update released in January, 2007
>>
>> More information:
>> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20031770
>>
>> More information:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
>>

>> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Do you happen to know which update this was, or how to ID it?
>>> I can't find it in my list of installed updates or on the update site.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Harry

It has possibly been integrated into the drivers available from the MS
hardware website.. download and save the drivers, uninstall the drivers
already present on your system (go to Add/Remove Programs to do this) and
then install the newly downloaded driver files..

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../Download.mspx

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Harry Krause

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Mike:

I already downloaded and installed those new drivers, some time ago.
The problem is, I cannot find the update file you mentioned, and I need
to find and download it manually. If there is no way to find, download
and save VISTA updates manually, I predict a never-ending series of
disasters for this new MS OS. Automation can only go so far, and it
usually breaks when you need it most.

The sad thing is, I saw the update you referenced...the HID Non-User,
and didn't bother with it because no explanation was offered on its
description line. Now I can't find it on the MS site or on my computer.

I want to set up a folder in which to download and save VISTA updates so
I can run them. How do I do that? And how do I retrieve that update I
cannot find?

Thanks!

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
> Harry
>
> It has possibly been integrated into the drivers available from the MS
> hardware website.. download and save the drivers, uninstall the drivers
> already present on your system (go to Add/Remove Programs to do this)
> and then install the newly downloaded driver files..
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo.../Download.mspx
>

> "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to find this update and download it manually?
>>

>> Harry Krause wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. I cannot find this update on UPDATES or on my computer.
>>> Danged weird.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
Harry

While you may well have downloaded the drivers from that site some time ago,
there is a possibility that the drivers files have been updated since then..
you owe it to yourself to at least try it out..

In the meantime, I will Endeavour to find out what I can..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Harry Krause

Re: MS Wireless Keyboard Kills Screen Saver?
I think I have it.

I removed the "Dreamscene" or "Dreamscape" add-on (never used it,
justdownloaded the upgrade) and voila, the Microsoft - Other Hardware -
HID Non-User Input Data Filter became available from the update site. So
I accepted that update and now my screensaver seems to be working with
my wireless keyboard.

Weird stuff, thanks for the hints.