ATi: blank screen after boot before login

=?Utf-8?B?Y2VuaXQ=?=

ATi: blank screen after boot before login
Both releases of official ATi Catalyst for Vista (7.1 & 7.2) suffer from a
bug that seems not visible in Vista's built-in driver for my mobility radeon
9700 128MB on my Acer Travelmate 8005LMi (official specs with 1GB RAM
upgrade).
The problem is that with Catalyst installed, after boot, before asking my
account password (when the pearl logo comes up with the music in background)
the screen goes blank and is impossible to resume, even if i try to do a
blind login (the pc seems to not work at all). I found that if i press the
power button to hibernate or Fn+F4 to sleep mode, at the resume everything is
working and i can proceed with the login without any other problem at all
(with also decent performances).

I tried to disable Powerplay but it didn't do anything...

Does anyone have the same problem? What have you done?
Unfortunately ATi doesn't offer support for mobility products and I'm left
alone...
Please...

Thanks!
Daniel Mauerhofer

ATi: blank screen after boot before login
I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot befor login) on two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista Business and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
mikeyhsd

Re: blank screen after boot before login
installed 7.2 on my 9800 aiw desktop last evening and no such problem.
was it a clean install or did you chose the update.
I chose the update for a change.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.commikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Daniel Mauerhofer" wrote in message news:20073165352daniel.mauerhofer@bluewin.ch...
I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot befor login) on two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista Business and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
JW

Re: blank screen after boot before login
Can you do a F8 boot into safemode? If yes can you make sure your desktop
resolution is set to the native resolution of your laptop screen?

<Daniel Mauerhofer> wrote in message
>I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot befor login) on
>two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista Business
>and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?Y2VuaXQ=?=

Re: blank screen after boot before login
mine was a fresh install of Windows Vista Ultimate.
booting in safemode is an option and it works, but as i have just said it
only takes a stand-by and resume to get a fully-functional system... it's not
a matter of resolutions...

is anybody able to find a solution??

"JW" wrote:

> Can you do a F8 boot into safemode? If yes can you make sure your desktop
> resolution is set to the native resolution of your laptop screen?
>
> <Daniel Mauerhofer> wrote in message
> >I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot befor login) on
> >two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista Business
> >and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.
> >
> > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

JW

Re: blank screen after boot before login
Have you checked to see if you have the latest BIOS for your computer?
Others with similiar symtoms have found this to be the cause after upgrading
to Vista.
"cenit" <cenit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> mine was a fresh install of Windows Vista Ultimate.
> booting in safemode is an option and it works, but as i have just said it
> only takes a stand-by and resume to get a fully-functional system... it's
> not
> a matter of resolutions...
>
> is anybody able to find a solution??
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Can you do a F8 boot into safemode? If yes can you make sure your desktop
>> resolution is set to the native resolution of your laptop screen?
>>
>> <Daniel Mauerhofer> wrote in message
>> >I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot befor login)
>> >on
>> >two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista
>> >Business
>> >and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.
>> >
>> > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Don

Re: ATi: blank screen after boot before login
Daniel Mauerhofer wrote:
> I have absolutely the same problem (blank screen after boot before login)
> on two notebooks with ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 and 9700 under Vista Business
> and ATi Catalyst 7.2. I am very grateful for each assistance! Thanks.

I have a similar problem with the boot manager causing my LCD monitor
to blank itself because of the high vertical scan rate. (I know this
because the monitor prints an error message on the blank screen.)

My old CRT monitor will display the boot menu with no problem.

Is this the same problem you have?
=?Utf-8?B?Y2VuaXQ=?=

Re: ATi: blank screen after boot before login
the bios is the latest one.
as i have just said, i think it's a catalyst 7.1/7.2 bug: if i use the
included (in the vista dvd) ati driver the problem doesn't appear! i dont'
know what happen, high vertical scan rate or other, but it isn't a bios
problem or an hw failure at all!

jens.wannenmacher@gmail.com

Re: ATi: blank screen after boot before login
I have exactly the same problem with my Samsung R50 XVM1600 (mobility
radeon x300). Has anyone reported this to ATI via driver feedback?

Best regards
Jens

=?Utf-8?B?Y2VuaXQ=?=

Re: ATi: blank screen after boot before login
i reported it to ATI via mobility feedback, but there's no answer for this
type of feedback. I tried also to submit a ticket, but i got answered that
mobility has no support